Question on Ice White

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jack of Shadows, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Try checking out the marble hue as opposed to fixating on the Ice White hue....?
    Vlar likes this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, those Christmas sandals were super dark and boring hue.
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Lightshade

[​IMG]
    The Marble Hue works well as the top one, in my opinion, for potion kegs. The 2 Ice White Hues aren't all that realistic looking, imo.

2955: Marble
    1153: Ice
    1150: Ice
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  5. Lightshade

Whereas I know some players are all about the items, this statement certainly is not true for all players and probably not true for most players even. I never thought that colors being rare made any sense nor have I ever really cared about having uber colored items short of just selling them to another person. I, however, have cared about specially named items as that is history to me. Colors mean nothing to me.

I would venture to guess that the silent majority on this subject could care less about the market value of neon sandals. I'm sure the vocal powergaming minority cares quite a bit.
    Jupiter likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Balum's Sharpened Halberd of Striking.

Even if this was only equivalent to a +5 of Ruin, if it were the only one, i'd pay dearly for it. Perhaps even with my own wizard tears....

(if it had a history to it as lightshade stated)
  7. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

I agree with hard to get rare stuff, its not so much the ice white going away as the lack of any sort of non ore colored type being introduced. I do not understand why people deem darker colors the only colors fit for UO.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol at "could care less" and "vocal powergaming minority"

The hot clothing and rare items are personal identifiers in a global game space. This game has persistence and individualism that can be defined in part by how you dress. See also: Lightshade's avatar.

The more rare your clothing item, the more likely it will not be copied by any/many would-be impersonators. There's more to it than just flash and there's no palette that is perfect for everyone. I think keeping things tame with a few spikes here and there is good for the 'feel' of the environment as I run around. I mean seriously, even with a few of the removed hue furniture pieces out in public, it's nothing even close to several other shards that are not as strict about hue selection.
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I am soooo copying this.
    boothby likes this.
  10. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

You're OK with these fruity colors:

b-1.jpg
    b-2.jpg
    b-3.jpg
    b-4.jpg

But these cross the line?

b-5.jpg
    b-6.jpg

I think you have a very valuable asset and you want to protect it's value. Hell, I would want to protect something like that as well. And I'm fine with there being exclusive things that only the extreme vets get. But telling me those white furniture items offend your eyes, but you're cool with those hair colors - I'm not buying it. Those hair colors are ludicrous, silly, and completely bonkers.

Thanks actually for posting this - the marble hue will work for what I wanted to do. Crisis averted! Going to go test what it looks like on other types of furniture.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yup, call me crazy, but I don't think hair colors are as obnoxious as a lot of bright/bizarre colors like the red/white/green that were removed. Probably because hair on characters is minuscule in comparison to how much furniture can and will be publicly displayed. The two examples you just posted aren't so bright and I wouldn't consider them obnoxious. 1153 is crazy bright and if I was asked to trash barrel every ice white piece I have, in order to prevent any more from ever being made, I would if everyone went for it. I don't really care that much or perhaps I would have made some instead of only having what came from Ioot.
    Oddly enough, of the available hair colors, you chose some of the least obnoxious. If I built the shard, I assure you we would have neither. However, since it's here, I do love my bright purple hair that matches my normal cloth tub purple pants. I do not love the set of removed hue chests that Gideon has on his Yew villa. They look nasty and I don't like it.

We're all entitled to our wrong opinion. :p
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the color, I think ice white is much more pleasant to the eye than other neon type colors that are out there. I mean, c'mon.. I have one of those crazy neon blue masks. Granted, only 2 will ever exist.. the color is still out there in use through a variety of different clothing options.

The problem I see is that when it comes down to furniture, ice white is rare. I don't think it would be fair to those who have collected or bought these special hued pieces of furniture to suddenly see a decrease in value if/when the hue is made available again.

It would be equivalent to Tela recycling event items after specifically stating he would never do that. Those ice white sandals from the x-mas event will only go up in value.. unless they are re-introduced into next years event, in which case would be unfair.
  13. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Disagree. I dont think he ever stated ice white would not come back. The rares market has always been speculation, especially the holliday rares. You never know when something will be recirculated. Maybe the ice sandals shouldnt come back, but I think the furnature is a whole different ballgame. Besides, not being recycled, is there REALLY that much of a difference between this years and last years leprechaun sandals?
  14. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

You can do better then that...

[​IMG]
  15. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I only have to see stupid furniture colors when I walk by/in someone's house. I have to see people with blood red hair and smurf blue beards at the bank, in dungeons, and everywhere else.
  16. Lightshade

One very common misconception about the past was that they used plain stonework and whatnot. In reality, it was all painted / lacquered in a wide variety of colors, many of them pretty garish by today's standards. The "plain" look on the stonework only came after hundreds and even thousands of years of weather wearing it off.
  17. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member

A good example being the great pyramids -- originally upon completion they were bright white/shiny.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I can't kill an ice white chest for being ice white, but at least I can attack people who's hair offends mine eyes!
  19. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Yup, nearly all castles were painted white, some even more outlandish colors.
  20. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Ooof. That one is a doozy. Which one was it on the menu?