Question regarding server rules / unattended killing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Kylaeris, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Balgami

Balgami Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Are buy macros considered unattended gathering? Like for selling bulk regs?
    JimmyTheHand and NerK like this.
  2. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

I’ve heard no, because you are spending gold not making it
    eherruh and Balgami like this.
  3. Orion GM BD

Orion GM BD Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I fish with one monitor. I use ALT/TAB a lot and use the mouse to hover over the 3 accts in the tool bar. Once
    I fish a serp up, I shut down all 3 fishing macros and kill! I brought this up awhile ago because I gone hit with a gump when the macros
    were stop and was concerned I'd miss one while on the other fisherman.
    Since then I just check the idle chars while working another.

IMO Alt/Tab is a wonderful key stroke
    Zyler likes this.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Correct.
    Balgami likes this.
  5. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This is something that has always been allowed and I've always been against.

You can run a macro to buy regs for days and you're only a vendor away from making a lot of money. I've always looked at this as unattended farming.

There is nothing stopping you from running a recall bot to go to every mage shop and buy all the regs. When you get home from work all you have to do is put the regs on a vendor... voila afk gold.

Or, you can do what even smarter people have done. Place faction vendors up against a house and skip the recalling around. You can collect ~24k regs per day, afk. If you own enough guard line houses, like I do, you can get ~72k each reg, every day, afk. Then just put them on a vendor and you're making, essentially, afk gold.

But, this is a subject that's been beaten to death.
  6. Balgami

Balgami Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanations, I was just curious about the legality and I wouldn't want to see it disabled unless we get an endless reg vendor or something :).
  7. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

Maybe there's a way to code it so that the AFK gump dowsn't show up if you are in a housing region?

It wouldn't be fair for every other tamer to come before this to have easy pet training , and every other tamer afterwards to get screwed.
  8. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

What if you hit all kill and clicked on a PK you’re defending against or a guy farming and the gump comes up?

Toast.
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I see this working if "heat of battle" has specificity of player vs player.

The gump checks for it, if it's on no gump. Regardless of necessity or careful implementation, if a players get a gump while being attacked by other players it will be discussed as a negative.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

So no gump when in housing region (overworld?) and when being attacked by another player. Cool.

What if I’m farming harpies with white wyrms and need to spam all kill to switch targets and get the buggers to obey? What about if I’m in the swamp at thera keep? You can die in a second there if a gump blocks your targetting/visibility. Specially if you have a provo target up and need to cancel to click on the gump and need to wait another 10s to provo again. Is that gumpable even if it interferes with normal gameplay? Seems extraordinarily inconvenient, borderline murderous.

Very slippery slope. VERY.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

If the damage being done to the server due to pet commands (more so the pets reactions) is such an issue, remove the control difficulty and loyalty requirements may be the necessary evil for a permanent solution.

If pet hasn't received owner command for xxxx seconds, pet goes wild. Jail would be great imo pending quick euthanasia.

If the last order was to all follow me. Have the pet actually follow the player.

e.g. one command actually provides the results the player is asking for.
    Pirul likes this.
  13. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

everybody doing a tier 1 of a champ is going to get gumped like mad.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

As a single-box PvMer, I think this a slippery slope. VERY slippery.

Even with comand difficulty set at 0 (which carries a whole nother lvl of nopeness) this gump will be VERY disruptive in swarm locations as pets will aggro what attacks them and you sometimes need to spam the “all kill” comand for them to attack what is attacking YOU.

This of course could be mitigated if you could provo onto players/other pets, but we know how THAT’s gone.
    Kirby and Orion GM BD like this.
  15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Now don’t get me wrong, I am all for solutions that will help the shard, but knee-jerk patches can (usually do) carry a worse down-side.

That is why I repeat, going down this path is a slippery slope. VERY slippery.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  16. Melochabre

I think the best way to handle this is to remove taming altogether. :p

Dexxers unite!
    Cromwell, Althorn and wylwrk like this.
  17. The Hammer

The Hammer Active Member

Just mash the wrong button and you can get away from PKs and placed in jail. That would just be exploited and used to the advantage and disadvantage. Imagine that popping up in the middle of you almost eating it..
    Orion GM BD and Pirul like this.
  18. DaemonOfSiege

DaemonOfSiege Member

I pet trained in my house w/o ever saying all follow me, all guard me, or all kill.

If you are running a macro, which IS allowed on this server, and you tab to a different screen, then back to the 1st screen to collect the loot, you ARE ATTENDED. You are tending to your character, that is NOT unattended and no-one can say that it is. You don't make up what words or phrases mean, they mean what they mean and NOT what you want them to mean.
    Attended IS attended, whether controlled by hand or by macro.
  19. Melochabre

It's sad that we're having a discussion about whether or not tamers should receive an AFK gump. Maybe the problem is not that they should be checked for being AFK while farming loot, but rather that they're so broken that they can AFK farm loot.

To be clear, I don't really want to rehash that argument again. I just think it's funny that we're discussing the pros and cons of giving tamers AFK gumps for farming loot.
  20. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

I honestly feel like this is much ado about nothing.

First of all, nobody on the server can effectively afk farm with pets.

Why? Because they get killed by either monsters or players and corpses decay. They will also get reported by wandering players and jailed. In 4 years I’ve only seen one instance of this, and they were just afking and not looting anything. If anyone has seen this be an actual extended problem, please post below.

Regarding the boxed tamers, I haven’t seen it affect the server in any tangible way. Pks can outrun easily, the follow command screws up if you are running all your boxes quickly. You will be spending time trying to get your act together and probably get nuked.

Regarding killing speed, Monsters spawn on timers.

It’s also difficult and annoying to triple box, people don’t do it for extended periods of time because UO makes it difficult, especially path finding. There’s only a handful that triple box consistently.

I think it’d be more productive for Telamon to work on other stuff. Any fix for this drags his time away from more content, such as the awesome Easter lep event which was brand new content for 2018.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Pirul likes this.