Question....

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dorian Andrael, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Dorian Andrael

Dorian Andrael Active Member

Okay.... I gotta ask, and maybe it's been asked before, but I haven't seen it....

Why don't Carpenters and Tinkers get the same love as the other gm crafters and get to put their names on their work?

Just curious....

Thanks.
    PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  2. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

They do for certain items. For example if a carpenter makes a musical instrument and it's exceptional it'll show the name. Same with gnarled staffs and quarter staffs and probably the wooden shields and shepherds crook.

For tinkers hatchets and pickaxes I think. There might be more. A lot of items say that it'll put the maker's mark on it but don't, like sewing kits for example.

I think the makers mark thing is only for items that can be used as weapons (instruments included) and armor. Tinkers and carpenters unfortunately don't have a lot of items like that. It would be neat though if there were a few other items that tinkers and carpenters could mark. I'm not sure which items that would make sense for though. For tinkers maybe lanterns and the jewelry items?
    Dorian Andrael likes this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You may find this odd but, I don't want a maker's mark on anything I buy from a crafter.

Actually, certain items I consider a maker's mark lowers the value.
    Dorian Andrael and ReZon like this.
  4. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Same here - and if it's clothes (particularly in rare hues, like the anniversary), I don't like the exceptional mark either.
    Dorian Andrael likes this.
  5. Dorian Andrael

Dorian Andrael Active Member

That's interesting about the certain craftables being marked for tinkers and carpenters... Didn't know that.

And I can get that some people don't like the marks on things. I just think it would be a nice thing to have the option to mark furniture or not.... Some people might like the added "brand" loyalty of having a matching marked room set.... It'd also be nice as a way of proving that you have the GM skill. Keep one chest marked on a vendor to show the tag, then sell furniture unmarked.

Anyways, it just seemed like a logical inconsistency that some crafted items could be marked and others couldn't. I think I was just looking at it from the wrong angle, so to speak. I wasn't being specific enough with my logic and limiting the marks to arms and armor.

I do like the idea of adding marks to anything that can be equipped like lanterns, etc. That would be pretty cool.
  6. Player X

Player X Well-Known Member

I've wondered this myself. At some point on OSI it changed though because I remember walking around with a GM crafted/labeled lantern.
  7. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Yeah I think you're right, and I believe it was the same for furniture too at one point.