Reasonable recommendation on AFK Anti Gathering Pop Ups

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by WorkerBee, Jan 1, 2016.

1. WorkerBee

WorkerBee Active Member

I want to start by saying the system is good and is needed. I support it fully as if people can gather/fish while afk the prices of items would definitely be affected and the market could possibly/would be crap. There is one part of it however I would like to see if something like this could be implemented that may be beneficial to more people than just myself. While on the other hand be just as stringent for the people to want to AFK gather/fish with no regards to why the system is in place to begin with.

So.. I fish constantly.. seriously constantly. Anyone that knows me on here knows I pull more amibs out of the sea than anyone. Since I fish all the time I get "afk pop ups" everyday (usually a few times). I NEVER am actually AFK (for extended periods of time) while fishing... The door bell may ring, my dog may want a treat, just little things from time to time. That's when I have a brain fart (but only 2% of the time) :( which means.. I forget to pause my macros which results in me going to jail.

The thing about fishing is to be afk and to fish is nearly impossible. Its not like walking in a circle in a cotton field. Or mining a few spots repeatedly near a forge to constantly smelt to get resources without the macro being complicated (I'm not sure if they have automated cotton/mining/etc. this is just an example). I mean sure you can have most things automated and possibly looting automated (Not sure how to do it.. never tried and things are consistently out of my reach where I have to move the toon just to open the corpse). I constantly however have to move my boat around dead stuff I kill. Its nearly impossible to set a macro to do that as the placement is random. I mean it could work sometimes and them sometimes you would just be stuck as ill get 3 sea serpents or whatever around me and I have to empty them and cut them up to move my boat as it wont move in any direction (happens ALOT) but if I was actually AFK all the time. I would miss out on a lot of loot, be stuck all the time to where nothing bites for 10 min then I fish for 3 min and it loops until my boat can move. Also I would get hit constantly with the pop ups and wouldn't be there to answer at all and/or would most likely be jailed to the point I couldn't turn my head away or boom jail for a month.

The direction I am going with this is would it be reasonable to make it so say you answer 20 or 30 correctly (or what would be considered reasonable) that it takes away 1 of the afk counts so if we play for years its not adding up like crazy when we do slip up. I don't have a lot maybe 2 on the toons. I have been fishing now for months. If Telamon or whoever wanted could look (I would imagine) and see that I have answered 98 (just a random number) correctly over the course of time. So 2 times outta lets say 100 or whatever I have been dumb and answered the door or ran to grab my food that was cooking and/or check on the food. Then it hits me "oh shit my macros are running".. I am ALWAYS there right after I get busted. So then I serve my jail time and go about my business. I thought about "what if there was a fee" but then people could pay it off and still do what they do (unless it was some crazy amount) but it just doesn't seem like a good argument for something you can use gold/plat/etc to get out of.

Just over the time it adds up. Iv been playing for a year here almost and fishing since I started. My rankings could tell anyone that. It would just be nice to be able to have them reduced over time. This would make it so people that are abusing the system it would still work great for as I cant see those people answering as many right as I do or as someone that isn't afk and does get popped every now and then. I just think about the fact I continue playing that I most likely will have it happen again. As a fisherman its a part of my everyday game. Like I said I'm NEVER actually AFK macroing (just for a minute or 2 until my brain realizes "oh shit UO' (can check records I'm sure as anytime I get jailed not 30 sec after I'm PMing Telamon to please release me early.. LOL). I would just hate lets say in 6 months or a year to be at the point where I cant play anymore because of this as the jail time adds up because of a brain fart periodically.

In my opinion someone that is abusing the system would get caught a hell of a lot more than someone that isn't. The fact that fishing is one of those things that you get these pops ups is just something I have to deal with and I'm not complaining at all about the system. I would just like a way to reduce counts over time for the few times I am in a rush to answer the door, or deal with my dog (if I walk him I turn them off), or cooking. Its just bound to happen since I fish so damn much and things are bound to make me jump out of my chair without thinking about hitting stop on the macro. As I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.
    Iago and Hiro like this.
  2. Attila

Attila Active Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    TiMi, newme and Basoosh like this.
  3. Attila

Attila Active Member

4. WorkerBee

WorkerBee Active Member

First.. I wouldn't write this if I didn't know how to stop a macro. I already said the system is needed and that I like it. It prevents a lot of BS. Everything you said I already said. I said I am responsible, I do get busted fair and square from that. HOWEVER I'm not leaving my fisher running intentionally or I would have ALOT more issues with jail time than I do, but yes randomly from time to time I do have a brain lapse where I get up and a few minutes later I think "Oh shit.. Did I turn them off?" So it happens yes.

There should be away to take counts away (for people who are not abusing the system and make mistakes periodically, It happens were human we forget to do things, there are times everyone has to jump out of the seat as life happens and fate has it you get a pop up gump. Since you don't fish all day couldn't except you to understand that. Your way of making coin probably doesn't have afk gumps, mine does and as you read if you did.. I'm not bitching about anything I like the system very much. I'm simply asking for a solution for the people who may have had a brain fart every now and then. If your getting busted left and right then obviously this has nothing to do with you.

Sounds like your just being to hard headed to actually understand what I'm talking about. 2x outta 9 months is not someone who goes afk to fish. or I wouldn't be posting this as I would probably not be playing due to extended jail times. If I was an afk fisher I would not be leading the leader boards on ALL shit in the sea.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  5. WorkerBee

WorkerBee Active Member

Just Another way to show how much I ACTUALLY fish... I suppose for anyone wanting statistics.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/itemgraph/14ED/AncientMIB/single

Btw I believe I join in March just under a year. Go look at the AMIB database. Since March 2015 it spikes HIGHER than it ever has. I took a 2 month break around September (medical issues). You can see it on the graph the AMIB decline. I started playing again 3 weeks ago. The spike begins to rise. THAT IS PRETTY MUCH ALL ME. Check the rank boards and add up (Fishermate + Nemster). I top ANYONE who fishes. IM NOT trying to brag. IM simply trying to show how much I fish.. which you can imagine how many gumps I get. So yes I got busted fair and square with me not being at the keyboard at the moment. It was a brain fart. I ALWAYS shut the macro down even when I'm running the trash out or walking the dog or anytime I leave the computer.. but yes I'm human I jump up and forget sometimes and I'm not trying to say they shouldn't count. They should count i missed the gump, but to be held against me for my entire game play when things are bound to happen, as its just human nature to make periodical errors.
    Hiro likes this.
  6. Attila

Attila Active Member

newme likes this.
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I feel the game needs more gumps versus less. Creating a system where you can widdle down your jail time based on "good behavior" is not a good idea either, imo.

You may not do it, nor anyone you know, but those that are crafty with writing scripts could very easily create an automated fisher where you don't have to do a thing but press play. I don't believe it's an issue on this server hence why the fishing gumps are much much less frequent than the other resource gathering gumps.

Also, from one fisher to another, it's one of the best money making activities on this server and I wouldn't be calling for any attention right now. You literally have to apply maybe 1/10th of the interaction of any other active player and you also have about 1/10th the risk.

tl;dr

Gumps are working as intended. IMO resource BUYING also needs a gump, specifically reg buying.
  8. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

Fish on my friend, fish on. Watch your guys closely when you're out on the high seas. If it becomes too much for you to manage maybe try one less fisher. Remember to stop your macros when you get up. Please don't argue that you only got up for a second or my dog had to go out... Whatever the reason that got you to leave the keyboard, your game time should be halted. You are away from keys!!! We have all picked up one or two afk gump failures over the years, don't sweat it. It's not like 90 seconds vs 2 minutes makes any difference if you are at the keyboard. (BTW this is a huge window of time and should be at a constant 30 seconds)

TL;DR
    stop your shit when you stand up. If you have a brain fart, dial back how much you are multitasking. Stop crying.
    TiMi, newme, BlackEye and 1 other person like this.
  9. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I havent read all that long messages after the OP, but I like the idea of loosing counts after an amount of succesfully answered gumps. Dont decrease the amount of gumps, rather increase them. And introduce gumps for reg buying (or trigger gumps by fast buying).
    Dyne and Iago like this.
  10. WorkerBee

WorkerBee Active Member

Thank you for the people who are "supporting" this. I mean there wouldn't be any other way.. you wouldn't wanna make it so you pay gold or plat. as that's just to easy to fix, but if you answer 20 gumps correctly then 1 you fail... that is no way says oh yea he's an afk fisher. Especially as the fishing gumps are so completely random. I can sit here for 8 hrs and not get one. Then I smell my food burning, I jump up go to stir it come back and boom jailed. I Just forget, human nature, I'm sure EVERYONE does similar things only theirs doesn't have jail time/gumps in the mix.

Well when you don't fish everyday and use it as a direct source of funding on this game. Its easy to say "no counts should stay" Its the same thing as when anyone jumps up to do something and just forgets. And cynic no u cant have a 100% auto fisher. Trust me I have tried. If you think that's possible I would love to see you macro. As mine are very sophisticated but no matter what I have to CONSTANTLY move the boat. A macro and try to move the boat, it would work maybe 20% of the time. Other than that you would be stuck. I have to cut myself out quite a lot because the boat cannot go any direction.

There should be a way, a way you can prove that you don't afk like I don't, but yes I'm human I make errors so do other people. Just because yours don't involve gumps as your everyday gameplay, then its hard to understand where I'm coming from. I don't jut set my fisher and let it go. I sit here and watch it. YOU HAVE TO. Or like I said I wouldn't even be playing I woulda been jailed so much. You have to move the boat... that's basically what makes you be at the computer and the fact that no one wants to do the jail time.

Whats so bad about having an honest good way that can help people (Like myself) that have made mistakes. I don't plan on going to jail again but will it happen possibly, life throws curve balls, and yes I forget to shut it down. I have never once came back (when I left it running on accident) and had ANYTHING to even show for it being left on for the few minutes it was.
  11. WorkerBee

WorkerBee Active Member

Cynic I get that you fish. Fishing is boring no one wants to fish. You fish no where near the amount of hours I do though. If you fish 3 hrs a day the chance of you even getting a gump is way low.. the chance of you getting anything to make money on is also super low. Just because its easy doesn't mean its fun or your going to make money. You know how many people i talk to that fish for 8-10 and get absolutely nothing? Fishing is a chance to get stuff. Hunting you knw exactly what your getting. No offense but if it was so easy and effortless as you say wouldn't more people be fishing? Wouldn't everyone want to just put a guy on a boat and do nothing and gain big rewards?

Therefore I do have more of a chance to be jailed than most other players do because I fish. The fact I have been fishing for 8 months now and have been popped 2 x should be able to tell anyone that I don't AFK fish. So you can tell me honestly that you've never had to jump up and go take care of something (in house). Which I always turn them off just as when I leave the house.

That fact that I'm told by yall to make sure I turn it off... when obviously I do or I prob wouldn't be playing as I would of been jailed so much .. that tells me you must think I am constantly AFK fishing. As to have a mistake that cannot be fixed over any due course of time and action is like saying... Once you PK 5 people your RED for ever and can never be a blue... That's intentional.. Yea its part of the game play but you stil have counts reduced if you behave yourself.

The system would still work perfect for people abusing it. Ther would be no diff. If you think people that actually AFK are going to answer so many in a row correct which would help these people.. that's just off the wall.
    Hiro likes this.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I'm no 3 hour fisher. I was you on this server before you were you. I was the original you.

Fishing has zero risk (or close to it).
    Fishing requires very very little interaction at the keyboard (if done correctly).
    Fishing makes a ton of gold (if done correctly).
    Fishing is boring but it's one of the only things you can do in game to make a ton of gold while watching netflix and paying very little attention to the game.

The afk gump system is in place to curb people that would absolutely abuse the system if they could. You can't click on house signs as a ghost anymore because people figured out how to run the map for idocs as a ghost with a script. If you take away or widdle down afk gumps in fishing (and it's already very very very low compared to mining) then you're fostering an environment where people who know how to abuse will do so.

The system is really working as it should be. I've gotten up to answer my door or take a leak many times while fishing, sometimes I gamble and let the macro go but I do so knowing that I could come back to a jail cell, or dead.
    bart simpson likes this.
  13. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

He doesnt want to decrease the gumps, I think. He just wants to get rid of previous mistakes after a high amount of correct answers. From my own experience, I can say, that I was several times on the brink of answering wrong because I was clicking on the screen while the gump appeared. By all means, increase the gumps for fishing and introduce gumps for ressource generating activities (e.g. automized mass reg buying). I just think, it's a good idea to get rid of previous misdoings when answering a very high amount of gumps correctly.

But tbh, I dont want to defend the "food burning" or "door ringing" afk failures. For these cases, what Bart said is right: learn to stop your macros or improve your gameplay, whatever.
  14. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I had a rough time with the system when I first started. It's probably because I just didn't understand it. When I was out fishing or farming Cotton the window would appear directly over my character. A couple of times as I was clicking for example cotton my curse it would be right over the wrong answer and I would inadvertently put myself in jail!

After speaking with Chris I've learned and honestly should've realized all along that the window is movable and has a memory. So the next time I got the window I moved it to what I consider to be a good location before supplying the correct answer.

Now whenever the window appears on any of my characters it's in a good place that works for me but doesn't get in the way.
    newme likes this.
  15. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I didn't know that, wylwrk. Will have to keep that in mind next time the gump strikes!
    newme and wylwrk like this.
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme likes this.
  17. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

You've finally seen the light!
    Gideon Jura and bart simpson like this.
  18. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I agree.

Buying of anything that can be considered a resource should get the gump (ie. Ingots, Boards, Reagents, Arrows, etc...). Sure, it is a gold sink, but rampant AFK'ing of the game shouldn't be something that nets people such a large reward...regardless of whether that 'reward' is dependent on others buying their re-sold items.

We should be instituting policies that encourage players to interact with the world, not discourage it. Its one thing to AFK skill gain inside a house, but its quite another to automate such public interactions in the game. By allowing players to AFK so many aspects of the game, we encourage less real interaction in the game.

Hell, if there was a way to safely AFK Gump triple-box tamers/dexxers/etc... without killing them I'd be pushing for the gump to be added to farming that uses all 3 accounts simultaneously. Unfortunately, with that, the gump popping up would probably get people killed. I know its gotten me killed hunting rares in some of the dungeons in the past.

Regarding the AFK Gump on Fishing...I do not think that anything needs to be changed with that at all. I have done a fair deal of fishing, myself, and see no issue with it the way it is right now.
  19. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Fish On!!!
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  20. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Simple. Stop the macro when you go AFK. I griped and was frustrated many times as well going to jail!!! Now, even when going to the bathroom real quicks, I stop the macro. I haven't been jailed in a LONG time. I was the leader in getting jailed for AFK fishing before that. :D
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    TiMi likes this.