Reasonable recommendation on AFK Anti Gathering Pop Ups

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by WorkerBee, Jan 1, 2016.

1. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

(shameless plug) reg vendor at the BBC @ Ocllo sells goods that are purchased 100% attended!
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  2. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

When I fish I change 3x clients to 400x400 or smaller. I cant even see the gump because it forces itself to the center of a 800x600 client.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  3. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

The gumps have a memory which will allow you to move them, albeit after they pop up in their regular spot. Making them smaller will cause other problems.
    I go around 900x400 and I can place each client on one of my 3 monitors. I do this so I can play other games on my other monitors, but I have no problems at this size.

Also, as a sidenote. I went out fishing for the past 2 days just to test the waters (no pun intended). I fished for several hours on both nights and didn't see one gump. This is really not a huge issue.
  4. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Hey Worker. Though I understand where you are coming from I can't really agree. The marks on your account are there for a reason and certainly are intended to stay forever regardless of the reasoning. The mark gets wiped if you instantly page staff saying I click the wrong thing etc. If you don't answer the gump, regardless of reason you will get a mark and get put in jail.

As far as I know every gump you answer successfully makes it a little longer for the next one to pop up. I am not one of the top fishers by any means on here and haven't been doing any since the christmas events etc. I can say that I've never once failed a gump and as a result I don't really get them all too often. I can go hours and hours without a gump popping up. I probably get one gump every few hours per account as a result of not failing and I would imagine that time period in between gumps will only increase (that is of course if I'm remembering that rule correctly).

If you make sure you don't fail any gumps in the future then you shouldn't have to worry about how long your in jail aye?
    Basoosh likes this.
  5. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I like the title of this thread. This recommendation is indeed reasonable. It's been brought up before and gained more support than I'm seeing here. (From Telemon, too, IIRC.) I think the reasonable worry to have only shows itself in the long term, though. Our system is meant to dissuade and punish AFK gatherers which it does well enough. Sometimes people that aren't AFK get caught by mistake. Those mistakes add up and, in theory, someone who's never gathered anything AFK could be facing a 21 day jail sentence just because they've played here long enough to make that many mistakes. The longer the shard is around the greater the chance of this theoretical occurrence.

Make of it what you will.
    Hawkeye and Erza Scarlet like this.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I've a character with two strikes... My lil cotton picker. I was attended for both. The gump appeared right over my character so while I was double clicking cotton plants, I'd picke the wrong answer!

The only reasonable accommodation I'd like to see is a better explanation of the system on the homepage and how you can move the window before answering and it will save position.
  7. Kid Steeze

Kid Steeze Member

Another thing that sucks and maybe should add a gump for people buying regs I go to try to buy some regs and there is people everywhere afk buying regs and banking them and it sucks when you cant even get regs unless you buy them off someones vendor!
  8. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Except they are doing you a service by getting the reg vendors all bought up and its super easy to cut into their cycle. Also there are 22 mage shops, each with 2- 7 npcs inside that sell regs. There is no way this is seriously an issue.
    Thoril, Fireball and wylwrk like this.
  9. Kid Steeze

Kid Steeze Member

it really is an issue because I have to pay a premium I rather collect them myselfs but everywhere I go there is some afk person buying out regs...
  10. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  11. El Horno

but thats bullshit. If the experience of a player at the keys was an actual experience and not 100% made up sure, but it is not. 22 mage shops each with multiple vendors, if u cant find a npc that sells regs you are not trying.
  12. Gideon Jura

13. El Horno

Fine, ill go check the mage shops to confirm you are completely full of shit.
    Valrick and Gideon Jura like this.
  14. El Horno

Britain west- has regs (20 per)
    britain east- has regs (20 per)
    brit alchemist- has regs (640 per)
    bucs- has regs (640 per)
    jhelom- has regs (999 per)
    mag- has regs (80-999 per)
    glow 1- has regs (640 per)
    glow 2- has regs (640-999 per)
    glow 3- has regs (80-640 per)
    glow 4- has regs (640-999 per)
    glow 5- has regs (160-640 per)
    glow 6- has regs (20-80 per)
    glow 7- has regs (20-80 per)
    occlo- has regs (999 per)
    serpents 1- has regs (640-999 per)
    serpents 2- has regs (640-999 per)
    trinsic- has regs (160-320 per)
    skara 1- has regs (999 per)
    skara 2- has regs (20-160 per)
    vesper 1- NO REGS (this spot has bank access so obviously any idiot can make a macro to buy these.. my advice, dont shop here!)
    vesper 2- has regs (20-160 per)
    vesper 3- has regs (80-999 per)
    hidden valley- NO REGS
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  15. Gideon Jura

16. El Horno

Now I am not arguing there shouldn't be an afk gump, but that if there is an afk gump it is because I philisohpically view purchasing regs as the gathering of a resource since its planned on being flipped. But I completely reject the argument that there is some scarcity of stocked NPC reg vendors.
  17. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

The first argument is much stronger for an AFK gump while reagent buying. I agree with it, too. Since people do make money selling bulk reagents on their vendors, there should be an AFK gump for it. That would be in keeping with the reasoning behind the existence of the other AFK gumps.

I would also reject the second argument. Sometimes I can't get what I want on my first couple shop visits (and it definitely can be frustrating!) but I've never been unable to buy enough reagents after a few more. If I'm really hard up, I go to the Lost Lands and that usually works out.
  18. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

The gump when picking up AMIB spawning rares is quite deadly.
    wylwrk likes this.
  19. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I think there used to hardly be any delay on it after nabbing a rare. Got me killed in the early days, lol.

I now invis before picking up rares just in case the gump gets me.
  20. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

I read that you can AFK your way up to GM....whats the difference?

I have a toon in Occello hitting 3 spots while im on my other character. Im not doing anything with the fish as they are more of a burden. I guess since Im letting them go to the ground and they decay Im good?