Recall wands

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Majinko, May 20, 2017.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Close.

I myself was looking for an alternative/reasonable investment a "dexxer" could make to garner fast travel without busting up their template points.
    I was thinking of skill combining... parry+tactics or something akin to eval + anatomy = wrestling.

My pursuit here is to get more butts out there playing and having fun.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Soma Holiday and wylwrk like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

4. Bodhran

Bodhran Active Member

Simple, drop a few skills to 95, take the damage loss and then put 20-30 in magery and no fail recalls will happen. *edit with the scrolls*

This seems like a precursor to chivalry talk
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

6. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

Good point. Another way to address this would be power scrolls that raise skill cap to 720, but that would have more far-reaching effects, including for the economy, and I'm guessing it wouldn't go over well here.

Making scroll-charged runebooks work the same for everybody seems like the simplest solution -- one that doesn't require a class of players to mangle their templates in order to get from place to place effectively.
    One likes this.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

To the people comparing this to other things, I will just say: two wrongs don't make a right.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. Pandemonium

Pandemonium New Member

Id love to be able to recall on a dexxer 0 magery get an extra skill somewhere else instead of 70 30 magery med however the game already has recall scrolls and runebooks you can click to recall, rechargeable with scrolls.. idk it just seems unnecessary to me to add anything at all. As for era accuracy I remember playing mainly from shortly after launch to some point in this timeline however there are a ton of things that ive noticed are different on the server like wrong for example i remember being a bunch of trolls and troll lords i believe and now its a bunch of red humanoid npcs. So there is definately no era accuracy here, just some fun UO

I'm not complaining and honestly its fun to have so much of the same that i loved combined with some of the new to learn however i really have very very very very little experience on this server. I just started playing uo again maybe 2 weeks ago so thanks for having me however I think we all can find 2 cents and if I had 2 cents I would say it sounds like a great idea but probably not really as much an issue as the player creates it for themself.. i.e. if you playing your dexxer prep him with scrolls or runebooks or ways to travel.

Or just give all his runes to a mage on your other account :p

Even back when t2a was launched live i was dissapointed they didn't open any housing. I wonder how people would feel about t2a if you didn't have to pop in through an entrance and could gate or recall either way and if they were to add housing in t2a. Although most of the land isnt the best ophids cyclops and terrathans all fun spots not to mention the orc and undead fort outside delucia is perfect for new players to get ahead so to go with that point im curious how t2a housing or cross gating/recalling would do to those parts of the world
  10. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

i dont see anything being changed here but it would be nice for there to be something to make ground for more diverse templates.
    Soma Holiday likes this.
  11. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

So, I didn't bother to actually read this thread, but i'll ask this?

Are we advocating for a uninterruptible method of recalling away?

[​IMG]

Note: I've always been an ANTI-PK on this server.
  12. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

they are advocating for ways to allow for more diverse templates that dont rely on magery to get around.

interruptible wands being frowned upon just a method
  13. Lightshade

You can currently recall off of scrolls to get around, so that argument of just wanting to get around is a farce. They want to have a guaranteed get out of jail free card when things go bad and that I will not support even if I play an ANTI-PK. You can sit there and fizzle several times or roll the dice on the first try success if you don't want to invest the skill points. Its how this game has been since 1996.

I've never been a supporter of the logic that every template should be on the same level as the other. Certainly, I do not support making changes simply because players want to solo and do it all on one character all the time. I remember, back in the day, before triple-boxing accounts was the norm, that players would interact with one another and one would always be the mage to help get people around. I would tell players to start interacting again, even if its with their other accounts, 12,345 years before I told them that i'd introduce something to circumvent player interaction just because everyone wanted to not fizzle when they did not invest the skill points.
  14. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

so then do you also believe that defensive wrestling should be taken out?

you get to invest a whole 100 skill points outside of wrestling on anything you want and are still able to not be hit.

surely its a joke right?
    One likes this.
  15. Lightshade

First off, has nothing to do with dexxers not being able to recall with 100% success when they don't use the skill points for it.

Second off, the whole wrestling/defensive wrestling/short spear para blows thing is a whole other topic of discussion and needs a lot of work and this thread is not the place for it so quit derailing the topic at hand. Personally, I think a dexxer being able to para-train some newbie without wrestling is just as horribly imbalanced as defensive wrestling allowing you to "not be hit" as you say.

Its clear that you want the best of both worlds and that is not how this game was setup.

You're asking for a NON-SKILL solution to a skills problem.

The short answer to that is: Hell no!

And as @Pirul mentioned earlier, 2 wrongs do not make a right so don't bother coming up with some "precedent" that supposedly justifies your desires.

You're not asking for a tweak, or a boost, or a higher percentage chance off of scrolls. You're asking for a guaranteed getaway. Its basically a step away from Item Insurance and Trammel.

Furthermore, with your current mechanics that you brought up, you're essentially advocating that dexxers continue with their para-train ability on new players while giving them a tool that allows them to get away every time that help arrives. I can't possibly see how some low-class PK would abuse the crap out of this.

As soon as they see a name on screen, *RECALL WAND* and gone.
  16. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

im actually not advocating for anything im just reading the thread.

i saw you bounce in refusing to read anything and making incorrect assumptions about what people wanted so i thought id tell you what the gist was.
    One likes this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Player X and Soma Holiday like this.
  18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd add something I just read on IRC:

[09:44:05] <Newt> Wow, you can still fail repairs with the GM deed T_T
  19. Newt

Newt New Member

I dont get the idea of bashing each other for just a mere idea or opinion. I personally do like the idea of implementing such wand, but to make it work or make it fun to obtain the work around should be -How to get such an item- and the conditions of it.

For example, a massive quest that needs (just an idea) a minimum of 8 players that after a huge struggle manage to get the 1 charge of impossible to deny recall, which upon use, is destroyed. And thats it. You get a fun to obtain item, that cannot be hard farmed, requires communitty effort and its rewarding by itself.
    I know it might take a lot of work to create such, but if its for content, i think thats the way it could be done, interactive, immersive, rewarding and fun.

Just an idea.
    Pirul likes this.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member

Newt and Soma Holiday like this.