Recruiting Inexperienced Players who want to learn PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Mandevu, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

So, I said I was going to do this a couple months ago and I think it's about that time. I'm looking to put a 6 man crew together and train you up as a solid fielding core, as well as 1v1 combat. My intention is to build up our pvp playerbase and add more diversity to the scene. I will work with you every week until I feel you are ready to take the reigns for yourselves. If this is successful I will more than likely build more groups up in the future.

Disclaimer: I am NOT looking for alleged 'know it all' pvpers. I am strictly looking for players who are motivated to learn what I have to offer and are willing to take my full instruction. Preferably players who have minimal to moderate experience. If you have an ego, either drop it at the door, or don't bother extending interest.

If you are interested, send me a PM expressing your interest, and I will ask a few questions to get a feel for your background. Once I have 6 players I will send you more detailed information on how this will all work. Currently there are a couple other threads with some more experienced players offering lessons, and I'm all for that, but this is NOT for individual training. You will be joining a group that I intend to teach how to stand against anyone in the field, but I will work with 1 on 1 capabilities as a part of the group.
    PaddyOBrien, Wise, newme and 12 others like this.
  2. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

3. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Teaching people how to PvP in a group is like herding cats and I don't envy anyone who is legitimately engaging in training others.

As Mandevu can probably chime in on, I spent 30-60 minutes trying to get a group of mostly non-pvp'ers to stop running around like chickens with their heads chopped off chasing Sacre Bleu and Neira (reds). They finally started listening...somewhat, and still almost screwed it up...but we managed to drop Neira in a blink when they finally listened to me. Up until that point, I was pulling my hair out trying to get them to stick together, heh. They kept stringing themselves out and off-screening from their healers...which was exactly what the reds wanted. It was rather frustrating, but they all finally got in a row and listened. :)

Its really hard to get a group to coordinate when they're not used to it. It seems like a simple task to someone used to PvP'ing, but it is not, heh.

Good Luck, I hope you are successful in this endeavor.
    Bastian and newme like this.
  4. Mandevu

Okay well I'm not taking a group of people and throwing them on the field with me. This will be structured and initially done via test center and will be outlined from beginning to advanced over time. But thanks for the input.
  5. Mandevu

One final slot waiting to be filled. As soon as I have all 6 we'll start this thing up. If anyone misses out, but is still interested, just be patient. I intend to keep this going until we have a well established competitive pvp playerbase. Even if these groups i'm putting together don't "stick together" over time, my hope is that what everyone learns through the process are a set of skills that are applicable to any competent group, as well as a solid foundation for anyone to hold their own both individually and group oriented.
  6. Mandevu

Group is now closed. As stated above, I will host more of these in the near future. I had several people show interest over night so just be patient if you didn't make it in this time.
    PaddyOBrien, Mordechai and El Horno like this.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

best of luck to everyone
  8. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

He can teach mechanics. But you've either got it or you don't. I hope Mandevu sticks with this and doesn't get too pissed off when he gets a couple of clowns, because right now this place needs this shit.
    PaddyOBrien and Pill like this.
  9. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Good luck! Let me know if you need help herding the cats. I'm the fucking cat whisperer.
    Wise, Random, Xegugg and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mandevu

I have the patience of a fucking rock, son.
  11. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

hahaha Crap I wish I had seen this sooner..Looking to enter the PvP scene with my scribe macer
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Keep hassling him. I think he's ready for round two!
    For what it's worth, I'm about to drop macing from my scribe macer to make him a heal/scribe mage. I assure you when it comes to learning the ropes, that you absolutely must learn to play a mage. I love my warriors but if you don't know your mage skills you're just an accessory in group combat, not a great asset.
  13. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That's really the majority of it for me Gideon. I learned a lot of survival on my dexxers but relying on Magery more has been another level of learning. The ground level of PvP is Magery, whether I like it or not.
  15. Mandevu

Soon peasants...soon.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That's lesson one. Take your ball-busting like a man, or just don't apply.
  17. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

OH this is going to be fun….Blaise I chose the scribe macer based on what you said in the CTF guide thread. I have a Character with mid 90s resist and magery and poisoning.. Was going to make him a fencer or Nox Mage.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

They are a great build, I assure you. Survives well and has some big damage and stamina drain. I'll build another macer eventually but this one's going mage at least for a while. :)
  19. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect to kill anyone in the field on that build, considering all your enemy has to do is stay 1 tile away to keep you from scoring a kill. I'm sure it'll do fine on CTF though
  20. Xavier WER

Xavier WER Member

So how did the team turn out?
    I'd be interrested in round two of this thing, im on another timezone though so might be hard to hook up.