Remove Instance IRC messages

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SteelyDan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

Probably... at least I'd have thought I had a chance at buying it back.. Blah, this turns my stomach. lol.
  2. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

They should boot you to a random bank excluding Bucs and auto hide your char.

Then fel rules would be in play and it'd be up to the player to not afk on exit
    One and Cynic like this.
  3. Jack of Shadows

I feel you man, I looted a bow once that was the highest tactic modifier and a vanq drag slayer, first few months of the server. If I had known how rare telamon was going to make stuff, I'd of never sold it or a million other things and I'd be Gideon rich now.

That's a once in a lifetime wep :/
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I petitioned for this a long time ago, for leaving the event center, it took a while and a lot of bitching but it happened. I remember when the event center spit you out in the exact spot every time and you either had 10 faction enemies or thieves revealing you to kill/steal from you.

If the event center is bypassed then the instance should dump you to a random spot in a random city.
  5. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Those arena messages need to go IMO as well. Not only are they essentially unnecessary spam to the chat, that allow people to be helplessly ambushed.
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  6. Jack of Shadows

I was one of those thieves, I was stealing like 50+ hcoins every time an event ended and everyone was booted afk to the Chamber of Virtues.
  7. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

Blah, by far the worst feeling I've felt in this UO experience yet.. lol. -- 2 sides of me are going toe to toe and blow for blow right now.
    Vandalin and Jack of Shadows like this.
  8. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

IRC messages should not give accurate, real time scouting information about things being done in game. While it's nice to see in IRC that people are out and the server is active, this comes at a cost for the people actually being active and disentivizes doing things which give the messages. For things like bounties or bounty rewards, the effect is debatable. Level 7 tmap messages should be ended immediately, it's the most egregious example and it's being abused by a few players (mostly from the CoM group) to pick on people out doing tmaps without having to put in any effort to scout in the first place.

The duel messages were used by TT/SL to gank/ambush players leaving the duel arena.

The same is true for the website telling people about whether or not your character is online. We should really move away from mechanics outside of the game which gives scouting information to others without playing.

We should either eliminate some of these messages or make them announce much, much later. I know of about a half dozen players who do not Tmap precisely because of these messages. I know of one player who quit the server after playing for years because they were ganked as a direct result of these messages.

Don't get me wrong, being ganked and ambushed is a valuable and important part of the game. The entire issue here is that the gankers/ambushers are receiving scouting information about other players without actually participating in the game.

Let's try to pick one topic at a time instead of shotgunning discussions which meander through a bunch of different topics. The topic for this thread should be: Messages/Information about in-game events outside of the game.
    edmost, Bayara, Vandalin and 3 others like this.
  9. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Well written.
  10. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I'm all for this change is the message is being used to stalk, etc
  11. Animal Control

Animal Control Well-Known Member

What people from the CoM group are you talking about Iago? Only guy that used the irc messages to hunt for tmappers was Ron Jeremy - and he's one of your group. Also, I'm pretty sure Telamon disabled the lvl7 map spam after Manthor rage quit and deleted his stuff.
    Artex likes this.
  12. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in turning this thread into a trash talk thread and that path is a sure way to get there.

I don't sit in IRC often. If the messages were eliminated, that's great news. We should continue to eliminate out-of-game scouting information on other players. To get scouting information, you should need to play the game.
  13. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member

Accuses someone without citing any evidence, then chastises the accused for calling his bluff?

I feel like you're better than that Iago given the thoughtful responses you've given on a ton of other threads. Not trying to derail this, but it seems a little bush league.

I agree with everyone that the messages should be changed.
  14. Henderson!

Henderson! Well-Known Member

30 Helens agree
  15. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

That really sucks man, keep your head up!
  16. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

I agree I shouldn't have included those specific examples but thought mentioning it would buttress the need for a change. I didn't really think it was in dispute, realized my error when AC commented about it and thought posting evidence would surely turn this into a trash talk thread so I tried to avoid that. I didn't chastise anyone, you're reading that into my comment.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  17. Loxness

Loxness Active Member

Granted, I haven't been on this server long (2+ months), and it is simply a matter of opinion (and probably not a favorable one)....

But this is a PRE-AOS felucca based server. While I enjoy the instance based events I have done (Xmas and Lvl 7s so far), I don't really agree that you are "Trammel" protected from the moment you go in. Then, you are transferred to trammel Green Acres... with a bank, stable, and moongate to most cities. Then when you hit a gate, you are placed at a spot randomly & hidden no less. All of these things are already built-in to make you and your items --ALMOST-- 100% protected.

Now, again my opinion, I do not agree that high end weapons/armor/etc should be protected. I actually hate that people have valorite runics and other ridiculously high end slayers that will never break bc of Powders of Fort and will never be lost bc they are used in 100% protected "Trammel" based areas.

Again, I'm sorry if you agree with me, but playing in this era, that was the risk you took.

Regardless, sorry you lost such a prized possession Jesus. You seem like a nice enough guy. But, this goes for everyone including myself and my friends.

Whoever got it, they just used the tools and mechanics given to them to the best of their abilities. You can't hate someone for that.

Just my .02 cents.
  18. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member

Fair enough. No qualm with that line of thinking.
  19. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Yeah, this should definitely not be happening at all. Information is very important, there shouldn't be global messages like this for anything. Personally, I think even reports for murderers bounties should not happen.
  20. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

I always liked the bounties being put out I feel like it gives a people to go search for some sort of pvp. With regards to Tmaps and instances though this should not be publicly televised. Also no tmap or instance should throw you into the tram center. IMO it should throw you into a random town and you have to run to a bank.
    One likes this.