Remove Trap and Lockpicking?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Tiax, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Tiax

Tiax New Member

Is remove trap required during the UOR era or is magery and 'telekinesis' good enough? I am thinking about making a treasure hunting template to do both treasure maps and, to a lesser extent, pick dungeon chests. Thus I am trying to come up with a UO:R template.

As far as i remember, the only real use of remove trap is so you can pop chests invisibily...but I thought looting revealed you anyway? Could anyone give me a template suggestion and a primer on how this works on this shard?

Note: I will not do taming. Yuck, don't have the patience for that. Provoke may be okay though.
  2. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

I use telekinesis on my cartographer,remove trap is a pain to raise....but then again so is lockpicking......
  3. Tiax

Tiax New Member

An orcish cartagrapher? That begs another question, is cartagraphy needed on the treasure hunter or is it put on a mule? After so many different versions of UO I don't know how to make a proper treasure hunter anymore.

Template?
    Lockpicking (a must I think to pick level 5 maps?)
    Magery
    Meditation
    Music
    Provoke
    Cartography
    stealth and hiding would be nice for dungeon crawling chests...though again, does looking unhide you?

I am just lost
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Some added functionality will be seen for remove trap as we proceed forward, most likely in the form of "Boss" lockpicking chests that will spawn randomly in dungeons and require the remove trap skill to deal with.

At the moment the largest benefit of remove trap is being able to do so hidden.
  5. Tiax

Tiax New Member

Hmm, I guess that would blow out a Thunter template.

Does the cartographer have to be the one to dig up a treasure chest or can it be decoded by one person and dug up by another?

Also, can anyone confirm/deny that looting a chest reveals from hidden? I see little reason to stealth and pop a lock if looting will reveal me.

Thank you for the answers so far.

Sounds like I could avoid remove trap if I stick to just treasure maps and not sneaking around dungeons
  6. qbradq

qbradq Member

I know this is an old thread, but I've been thinking about this recently.

First, looting dungeon chests does not reveal you. Also, even on level 4 chests, the trap won't kill you. If you are hidden next to the chest, you can pick it, esplode the trap in your face and loot the thing dry without revealing.

As for TMaps, I think you'd be missing out on a lot by ignoring the spawn. Don't know for sure though, haven't started t-hunting yet.

With the recent addition of AMiB's and the Iron Man challenge, Remove Traps is very relevant to me. How do you go about raising this skill?

Thanks!
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is not the case brad. I died numerous times popping chests before I stepped away. Granted, you have to be next to the chest to pick it, and one tile spaced to open it without damage from the explosion.

On Treasure Maps, you have to be I think it's 4 or 5 tiles away to avoid damage from the explosion. Also, if someone telekinisis' the chest while you're standing next to it, you get 0 damage from the explosion. This is actually changed from the time I got here. We used to run maps as a guild and have a good laugh at the person who was picking getting blown up when other people in the party hit the chest with telekinisis.

Remove Trap will hopefully be more usefull in the future (as Chris is implying it will be). Presently the only thing it's truly good for is getting into a GM Trapped container without dying. If you LP a GM Trapped container, you spring the trap on success, no chance of Removal. Perhaps at some point you will need to Detect Hidden to see the trap and Remove Trap to get past it without dying. I'd be in favor or Telekinisis not working on either dungeon or treasure map chests.

This is my TMapper char:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_player&id=42013

I also do dungeon chests but rarely since I GMed LP.
  8. qbradq

qbradq Member

Found this post about gaining Remove Trap. Useful info Tater has there, and a good excuse for me to finish my tinkerer :D