Renaissance Guide to Shard Support and Copper Coins

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Chris, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You have CROSSED THE LINE SIR.
    Venger, Dalavar, One and 4 others like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

lmao
    WoblinTheGoblin and El Horno like this.
  4. Aris

Aris Active Member

Excellent. This is a fantastic way to allow players to support the shard without turning it into yet another pay-to-win server.

I doubt there's a font size large enough to accommodate the hype train posts that I suspect Bart will soon be adding to this discussion.
    bart simpson likes this.
  5. Henderson!

Henderson! Well-Known Member

While this is not surprising at all it is still disappointing.

I agree with @Supra but your response is reasonable @Chris. I'd definitely be curious to know how often this ends up getting done.

This system is a huge thing for this server. I have no idea if it's going to be good or bad but I definitely have to commend the effort.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

To be completely honest, those who want a "safe" CY already posses the most powerful tool: the ability to disable the CY completely. With the addition of moats, being able to wipe the CY is just another way of getting a moat, just without the art.

Moats were introduced as a method to give your CY a clean slate. I'm not sure how much a moat will end up costing in plat, but it's essentially the same deal as if you're buying the reset option with copper.

I really don't think the clean slate option will be that bad. I have hundreds of CY runes that I've collected throughout my years. Probably a half dozen or so still work. I'm not sure how many burglaries still take place because of a CY rune, I was under the impression that most take place because of careless gating. This change won't affect careless gating.
    Avery and Henderson! like this.
  7. Henderson!

Henderson! Well-Known Member

This is very true. I have a ton as well and most are no longer good.

And yeah there will still be looting. The couple I've done have had nothing to do with courtyards.

I guess all is well!
  8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how you're testing the tiles but they sound like they have the potential for some creative fuckery. Personally I think they should be limited to teleportation within one house only.
  9. shad

shad Well-Known Member

Thank you @Chris !

Hope everyone will subscribe to the montly donations!
    Ahirman likes this.
  10. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

I was thinking this exact same thing, because despite the fact that I am running around in a virtual environment, I am still WAYYY too lazy to take the stairs.. =/
  11. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Also @Chris , I've been meaning to ask a question regarding moats. Once you place a moat in your courtyard to clear any past markings, the new moat can obviously be marked on top of at that point (specifically the bridge). If the new tiles get marked, is this essentially a permanent mark, or is there a way to remove a moat and replace to essentially 'clear' the newly marked locations?
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I believe, from how my moat works, it's the Z-axis that matters. So, the moat that I have currently covers the Z-axis that was previously there, which includes runes I also had marked high in the sky. I'm just nut sure how the game determines which Z-axis counts.

Where my bridge is now I have runes marked on the original grass and also on a ladder which I had locked down (back when we could do this with a GM). The new bridge blocked both those runes from working. So the Z-axis on the ground level and the Z-axis in the air are both blocked while the Z-axis of the bridge takes precedence.

I would assume that once the bridge is marked, that's it bud. You'll have to purchase one of them CY wipes for a clean bridge.
  13. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

I had suspected this was the case as well. So you basically get a 'clean slate', however you don't get unlimited mulligans to be careless with your CY rune(s).
    One likes this.
  14. Animal Control

Animal Control Well-Known Member

Question about this one:
    • Courtyard Security Services - Courtyard Security Reset - 50,000 Copper Coins
    This command will purge all runes that currently exist in the world that lead to the courtyard of your house. This is intended as a very expensive service that we do not expect to be used often. However it will provide a link between players helping the server in exchange for having a secure courtyard in a house you just purchased or placed yourself.

What if I purchase the reset to get a secure CY but someone has characters logged out in the CY with magery/blank runes? Does the reset boot all logged out characters outside or only clear existing runes?

Also, what happens if a character is logged out in the CY before a moat is placed then logs back in after a moat has been added? Will they get stuck and have to help/stuck out?
  15. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

If someone is logged out in the CY after a wipe I would suspect that they could re-fuck your CY.

I can confirm that anyone logged out pre-moat will be stuck under the moat once it's installed and will not be able to move nor mark and will be forced to help-stuck.
    One likes this.
  16. WoblinTheGoblin

WoblinTheGoblin Member

@Chris, fantastic work. You have demonstrated, through hard work, that it is possible to run a free shard well, take good care of the players here, and develop a system that can sustain the server while simultaneously not degrade its quality. A+

Can you please allow the teleportation tiles to be placed on the steps of a house so that I can teleport inside (if they are a owner, co-owner, or a friend)? This alleviates the tediousness of having to unlock my key, put it in my backpack, double click it, click on door, walk through doorway, double click key, click on door, place key from backpack onto house steps, and locking it down.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Azerothian and PaddyOBrien like this.
  17. WoblinTheGoblin

WoblinTheGoblin Member

But they wouldn't be transferable!! :cool:
    Caesar likes this.
  18. Aris

Aris Active Member

@WoblinTheGoblin you should never have to go through any of that to get into your home. Put your key on a keyring, lock that down by your door and you use it while it is locked down.
  19. WoblinTheGoblin

WoblinTheGoblin Member

I am not a smart man...

THANK YOU, @Aris
    Azerothian, Azoth and One like this.
  20. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

There will be an addon that you can purchase called a "Bridge Mechanism" This will allow you to raise and lower the bridge as you play. You will only be able to use this feature every hour or so, but while the bridge is "up" travelling would be disabled for your courtyard.

Otherwise yes, runes marked on the bridge will work as any other rune. So caution must still be applied to home security.

If you have an active moat and someone logs into your house courtyard, they will be ejected to the ban location much like a player logging into your house. Or a player logging in in the middle of the ocean being transported to the nearest docks.
    wylwrk, One, Pill and 3 others like this.