Requesting Advice on Picking Seventh Skill for Axe Warrior Template.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Gavyn Lughna, Feb 22, 2017.

Which would be the best skill to use as the final skill for my Template?

1. Alchemy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Archery

7.1%
  3. Fencing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Animal Lore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Veterianary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Another Skill

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Having swords means you can de-equip your axe, equip a poisoned katana, poison target, de-equip kat, equip axe, continue hacking and take half the time killing stuff.
  2. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

You're in for a world of trouble then. If "one" pk comes, you have a chance. If he catches you off guard and gets some attacks off, you are in trouble. If 2+ PKs come, you are the first target to die without the ability to instantly heal, or use reflect, etc..

Archery is weak compared to your axe. If you lead with archery shot from distance then charge with axe that is valuable time you aren't hitting with the axe and also a waste due to the equip delay. It's good for (dexers) getting kill shots on opponents that flee but I think you will be long dead before that happens since you will likely be target #1 in any PK attempt.

Alchemy doesn't belong on any character that isn't a crafter. There is no bonus for it. If you want to do it for RP reasons, so be it.

Fencing - There is no reason to have 2 weapon skills unless one is archery or wrestling. Period. The 100 points it costs is not worth it at all.

Animal Lore - no. Your horse will die vs basically every monster in the game. Knowing its stats is useless. It does practically no damage to a monster and will die in 1 hit to most players, if they even decide to attack it, they might just ignore it completely.

Vet - Not unless you're hanging out with a tamer who doesn't have vet skill.

Of course if you want any these things for RP reasons, you do you.

I'm going to suggest the following few options for you:

Your template + GM Magery and 25-30 int. Why? You can cast 2 greater heals that do good, instant, healing. Cure if you're out of potions. WIth a bless, wait for mana, and maybe a magical wizard hat you can gate. Sacrafice just 5 dex for int and you can summon daemons. You can get blade spirits for PVM, etc..

Your template + GM Magery + 40 int. You have enough magery to cast meteor which can be powerful vs 1 single target. Your axe once or twice + drop a meteor can kill somoene quickly. Plus you know, gate, heal, cure, recall, summon stuff, etc.. This might play better if you weren't a lumberjacker though and instead took meditation. Downside is of course less dex, but dex pots and agility spell can help.

Your template + hiding. - I think this is the ticket. If PKs come, you can hide. It's convenient to have. They might attack someone else, and then you can charge with the axe. Since you don't want to be the target of mages anyway this is good for you. It can also give you time to fumble around and recall because it doesn't sound like you have a recall macro handy probably.

Your template + taming - Now this is going to be annoying since you can't gate. But if you play with friends, it can be fun. You don't have lore, so you are limited on what you can bring. But if you're careful, you can hunt with one of the pack animals and tank the damage for them while they attack. Not very practical, but interesting and certainly better than vet or lore.

Your template + wrestle - Why the heck would you do this? So you don't get interupted while you're trying to recall.

Your template + 60 magery + 40 other skill. lets you cast greater and mini heal, cure easy poisons, recall, gate (with scroll and wizard hat + cunning spell, etc)
    40 other points can be:
    poison - you could get some lesser/regular poison action going on here, it's pretty okay at scaring mages etc.
    wrestle - why not? If you find yourself not using these 40 points, this might be enough to save your butt at least once when recall
    tracking - if it's not too nerfed now
    hiding - it won't work too well, but it will work 40% of the time which is better than 0 %
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Kalvasflam, Edward Skye, One and 3 others like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  4. Gavyn Lughna

Gavyn Lughna Member

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone, I think that I am going with 60 or GM Magery. I know it is pretty much the essential skill for literally any character. That's what I dislike about the skill though, everyone must be a mage of some degree of skill, for whatever use they need from it. I will be using it however, because it seems like it'll just be a bad UO experience otherwise.
  5. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Chivalry was one of the only things I liked about AoS. It added a bunch of warrior stuff like recall and buffs.
    Plus yelling HOO WAH all the time was bad ass. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise...
    Milky Milkerson and Gavyn Lughna like this.
  6. RavenMagi

RavenMagi Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

There are people that play without magery and have a good time. Talk to Bayara on IRC if you are interested in that play style. I beleive some of his crew do decide for minimal magery and will only cast reactive armour or magic reflect. They do that with 30 magery and a scroll. So maybe 30 Magery, 70 hiding? It will exclude you from gating mostly, but it doesn't sound like your interested in that anyways.
  7. Gavyn Lughna

Gavyn Lughna Member

Honestly, If Chivarly was in this shard, I wouldn't have needed to make this thread. Axe Paladin would be extremely Powerful.
  8. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Hoowaa :D
    Gavyn Lughna likes this.
  9. Gavyn Lughna

Gavyn Lughna Member

Ultima is a magical world, and it's realistic to have to use magic in order to survive in it. Perhaps that's why that's why other magic skills like Chivalry, Nercomancy, and so on were added into the game, giving players more options to choose their magic from.
  10. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Faction horse tank. You still want 60 lore for cure.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017