REVEAL GHOSTS NOW !!!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by LanDarr, Jun 20, 2020.

1. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I am fully in support of ghosts being revealed to see any players or monsters. I feel a ghost must enter war mode and show themselves to see ANY mobiles.

My argument is risk vs reward.

By scouting with a ghost a player has 0 risk. No one will be able to see you (unless dead) and the information you can gather is unfathomable. By staying out of war mode you can't be banned and have impunity to move undetected (unless counter scouted by another ghost). With our servers amazing stability, a resurrecting mechanic can be exploited. Should home owners really have to worry about re arranging deco and getting looted despite making sure no live players are in their home? No... absolutely not.

By forcing ghosts to enter war mode to see players/monsters the playing field is leveled. Ghosts can still move anywhere like they did before... but it adds inherent risk. They have now been "revealed" and players get a heads up that their location/activity is now known to another player.

It is a two way street and there should be a balance of risk vs reward.

Ghosts used to be an incredibly large problem in the IDOC scene. Players would position then on greatly worn buildings and run a bot AFK to obtain a timer. How in the hell do you stop a ghost from clicking a sign on a script?!?!?! An AFK check had to be implemented on house sign clicking because of it.

My point being... changes were made due to the exploiting of a mechanic. Ghosts are gathering, and exploiting information they obtain with near impunity currently. (Does anyone really counter scout their home with a ghost 24/7?)

Have a great day. HYPE TRAIN
  2. Ducky

Ducky Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I agree that a trespasser in your house, dead or alive, should be identifiable and removable.

Lets assume that a rework of spirit speak or the base mechanics of war mode for ghosts would be a time intensive change, could detect hidden just knock a ghost into war mode within the same AOE as detect hidden effects hidden clients now in and out of homes?
    OptimisticSam likes this.
  3. MrK

MrK New Member

Not only that, but I get ghost camped by those FL idiots, setup, crew jumped by their ghost scout info collecting. I return the favor, ghost camp their base, take notes, and these 'fair players' spot me with an FL ghost and then report me(or something?) and somehow I'm removed from scouting their base and sent back to Ocllo.

Please explain how they can do it and it's cool -- but then they report others for doing the same. At the very least this is bush league. Worst it's collusion and exploiting. I'm talking to you Ooji, garbage is garbage etc

Does anybody know how to report them when they ghost camp so they can be removed? RP evil and douchebaggery are two very different things.

Last I checked what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Yours is coming FL.
  4. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

5. Malachi

Malachi Member

Ok guys, another idea for this ghost problem. I mentioned something similar in the lighting thread (a tinker craftable glow ring that emits torch light).

In that vein, and I'm not sure if this is possible or practical, but how about a tinker craftable "phantom ring" or something to that effect that emits a radius of ghost visibility. Instead of emitting a light like a torch, it reveals ghosts within, say, a three tile radius of the wearer. Skills needed for crafting: tinkering, magery, and spirit speak. Consumes ingots, jewels, reagents, and bones to create.

In my view, this offers a more balanced approach to the ghost problem. It would be fun having to sweep an area manually for phantom invaders. It would also give the ghost an opportunity to evade and try to get away once they realize they're under pursuit. Imagine having to chase the ghost around to ban it. For extra fun, successfully banning a ghost while wearing this ring could not just kick them out of the house, but send them somewhere fun like the depths of khaldun or the altar of the fire temple.
    StarTrakZack and Ducky like this.
  6. MrK

MrK New Member

I actually got banned from the FL house AS A GHOST. What's going on with this? Is this possible for everybody to do or not?
  7. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

You can be banned if you're visible (in war mode). The bulk of this debate is about having no recourse to deal with ghosts that don't 'show'.
  8. MrK

MrK New Member

This isn't true at all though. At least not entirely. I was banned from a house without war mode turned on. And yeah, I understand the crux of the problem here. I just don't know all the dirty details.