Revisiting Tinker-Trapped Boxes

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Coffee, Sep 6, 2015.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

GM Poisoned food now instantly kills the player that consumes it.
    A GM poisoner may poison alchemist potions (heal, cure, etc.)

A player may use the Taste Identification skill to detect if a consumable has been poisoned otherwise the poisoned component is undetectable.
    The taste identification success chance will scale with the level of the poison and the poison applier's skill.

Once a player has been killed by consuming GM Poisoned consumables a timer has started that coincides with the player's corpse deterioration rate.
    This may be quickened by cutting the corpse (a potential criminal act if the player was status innocent when they died).

If the forensic evaluation skill is used before the corpse deteriorates, the user will receive the following messages.

You are not skilled enough in forensics to determine anything useful (your skill is too low compared to the level of poison and the poisoner)
    This person was murdered by poison!

If first phase success the player may use the skill again and...

** optional ***
    A one time % chance is calculated at this time. It compares skill level of the poisoner and the forensic evaluation as well as looking at the time of death.
    The closer to the time of death, the greater the % chance to identify the murderer.
    ** end optional ***

If successful, the player receives the message,
    After further analysis of the surrounding evidence, you determine that {Player Name}...

... dropped this tainted food on the ground x minutes ago (look at item deterioration timer)
    ... traded this tainted food to another player (is there a traded age timer here?) would be sweet to know how long ago.
    ... is the one who applied the poison.
    ... is the poisoner AND traded this tainted food to another player.

No murder counts shall be associated however, the forensics officer may choose to use this information in meaningful ways in game as the criminal identified shall be permanently grey to the forensics officer for x minutes... hours... w/e. Killing yourself will not remove this perma grey status.

Take all that and apply where applicable to tinker traps too.

There's at least an idea how to address accountability (what I'm after) with some flaws to hammer out.
    Granted this idea was inspired by a little too much overly priced airport beer and severe boredom while waiting for my flight.

Anyway,
    I'm not against the traps killing people. In fact, the more the merrier... I just want the ability to find the murderer where applicable.... or be chased because of my nefarious actions.
    Coffee and One like this.
  2. Coffee

Coffee Member

I don't think everybody will be doing it all the time. Everybody doesn't grief everybody right now. The only griefers the game really offers at the moment are the thieves who steal/kill at occlo bank already and the people who might lure your pets away. That's not exactly the most common thing I see every day, by a huge margin actually.

I understand that brand new players would get a shock and stuff, which I wouldn't want because I do want this place to continue to grow.

I agree that if it took you down to 1hp or 0hp, if it could be coded in someway to reduce your HP to that, that would be just fine. Like you said it wouldn't be insta-gib and in a great way this would solve the accountability aspect of it also.
  3. Coffee

Coffee Member

I like this idea a lot actually. If you could put a separate bounty system for people to find the killers behind these specific acts that would be cool. Having to use forensic eval and finding out the name - finding and apprehending this person in some fashion to get the reward would be an awesome addition.

I think El Horno's idea about having to kill someone who gets dropped to 0hp after opening a box is another way to have accountability also - that person would get the count, or someone would.
    wylwrk likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Coffee and wylwrk like this.
  5. Coffee

Coffee Member

I agree with One, you should suggest this system in another thread!
  6. RevySabre

RevySabre Member

The taste ID, poison food would be cool... But dont get hopeful. The tamers will come in and complain about era accuracy and conveniently forget there was no pet bonding in 1999 ;)
    One likes this.