Roleplaying Community?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by TouchdownHands, Sep 7, 2016.

1. TouchdownHands

TouchdownHands New Member

Not really sure where do go with this message.

Played UO from release and on/off for the past 19 years.

Just came across this server dedicated to, easily, UO's greatest era.

Is there an active Roleplaying community here at all?
    Eldstorm and PaddyOBrien like this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Yep, there sure is. Don't look at me though, I'm rubbish at it.
    I'm sure someone of greater import will be along shortly. In the interim...

Check out the "Salty Dog Tavern" subsection of our forums.
  3. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

It's very active now. You can also join the UOR-RP room in irc chat by typing /join #UOR-RP and there is usually quite a few people in there now :)
    One and Jupiter like this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Pirul, you are most kind to direct this seeker of knowledge our archives of adventures passed.

Bunam Vesper Good Sir!

I hope to find your deeds of valor (or mayhap your exploits of evil) soon recorded in our stories to come!

You may find me occasionally about the Village of Paws (near the shrine of Spirituality). I have set up a communication betwixt the Paws tower and myself, if you wish to seek me in game, all you need is but to stand by the fountain and call out. If I am about, I shall come as swiftly as I may.

I believe that @Alex Caember and the members of the Great Council are a bit more active than I. I have been forced by the cruel hand of reality to relegate my activity in the realm to a weekly thing and only occasionally and haphazardly am I able to join during the week. Albeit, I prowl about the forums in search of UO life vicariously through them.

Seek me here, or seek me there. I shall be found where I care... and other such babblings...

Jupiter Greystone
    Wizard of Paws (see what I did there?)
    wylwrk, ReZon, Pirul and 2 others like this.
  6. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

Welcome my friend,

I would say there is not a large RP community here, but it does seem to be growing in recent times. The Salty Dog Tavern sub-forum here can give you a glimpse of what is going on presently. If you have any questions or anything that I might be able to answer for you, please do let me know!
    ReZon likes this.
  7. Jupiter

i just set up a quest vendor in Paws. i will have tasks and quests placed on Qamra as frequently as possible. feel free to stop in and view them from time to time.
    ReZon and Zyler like this.
  8. TouchdownHands

Thanks for the response all!

I'll absolutely check out the Salty Dog.

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of the types of guilds that are out there?

I RPed on Catskills for a long time with Shadowclan Orcs, The Zombie Horde, The Undead, the Yew Militia, the Celts, and The Free Corp

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of the landscape of the types of guilds out there at SaltyDog?

Haven't been able to find much.
    ReZon likes this.
  9. Jupiter

I don't think a lot of 'hard'core human-class dedicated RP guilds exist here (i.e. in character at all times), other than the Orcs. You might contact @Xegugg to see if any of them are still active.

Paws you will find is a blend of RP/Adventure playstyle. While there is no defined class system in Paws, most of our activities revolve around doing common tasks, in the most difficult fashion we can imagine (stay tuned for a story write up about playing a game of dice in the Balron's den). I try not to break character a lot, but you'll find I do occasionally when I am parlaying with the PvP'ers of the realm.

TGC is fairly dedicated to RP unification (i.e. finding the RP factions, and helping them unite)

We don't have any active undead. There have been a few startups, but these tend to fade because usually the players who can run a good dedicated RP clan are already devoted to one such or another or would prefer to run solo.

You can also look up the Guild Forum sub-section for an idea of what guilds are out there.
    Eldstorm and TouchdownHands like this.
  10. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

I can attest to the Paws philosophy of taking a simple, relatively benign task and making sure it somehow ends up with mass casualties and death. With Paws, you will die a lot, but you will also have a lot of fun (as our game of dice with the Balrons proves).

The Great Council (TGC) is a newbie-friendly guild that encourages RP but does not require it - we are not a strict "RP only" guild. I enjoy RP greatly, and a number of our members do, while the whole RP thing is quite new to other members. Basically, the following our the over-arching goals of TGC:

1.) Help new players - new players can always find a home with us and we will do our best to help them learn the game, get set up, and hopefully have fun. I love providing new players with missions that are more than just "pick cotton and I will buy it from you". There are monetary rewards at the end of the missions, definitely, but people tend to have a lot more fun on them than if they just sat and farmed a resource or a monster all day.

2.) Promote community - I believe in creating things that help create, build, or otherwise promote community. UOR has a great player base and a great community, I want to try and enrich it as much as I can. There is not a huge RP community here, but I think with a bit of work we can really improve upon it and make it something great.

3.) Run events and public works - The first thing I started building when I came to this shard was a library for player-written books. This is a public-works project as it relies heavily on not just my hard work, but the time and efforts of the entire community, which ranges from donating books to the library to donating platinum or gold to increase lockdowns to allow for more books to be displayed. We are hosting our first event too, a Writing Contest (you can see it in the Player Event sub-forum), thanks to the generous donations from the community. There will certainly be more events in the future as well from us. We also recently started the Britain Herald, an in-game source of news, the proceeds of which go to the library and its endeavors.

I would absolutely love if more RP guilds sprung up to interact with!
  11. TouchdownHands

Thank you both for the clarity there!

That makes a ton of sense. Unfortunately I don't have nearly the bandwidth to start up a hardcore dedicated RP guild myself but glad to better understand what's here.

I'll only be able to casually play but you'll definitely see me in game before too long.

Thanks!
    Eldstorm and ReZon like this.