Rook and Stones ~OFFICIAL CHESS LEAGUE~

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Jupiter, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Fellows and Madams,
    How can we rightly call ourselves Renaissance without a pompous group of gentlemen (and ladies) to form an exclusive league to engage and match wits in the timeless game of chess?

If you are still reading beyond my introductory clause, then you have no doubt came to the same conclusion as I: Quite simply we cannot rightfully claim such a prestigious title as Renaissance without such a league!

May present to you the exclusive league: Rook and Stones

I am also pleased to announce that after lengthy debate with the secret society of chess grandmasters I have been able to ensure that the qualification standards for the exclusive UO:R club have been set remarkably low! Thus I do hope that any who wish to join do not feel excluded or that they must be experts in the game in order to enjoy the fun.

Entry level requirements:
    - You must not be a nit
    - You must know the basic moves of all pieces
    - If you do not know the moves of ‘castling’ or ‘en passant’ you must commit to learning them
    - YOU MUST FINISH EVERY GAME. (even if you feel it is certain your game is lost, you cannot end the game without checkmate or stalemate)

Basic Rules
    Formal Game Nights will be held Saturday Evenings at 11:00 PM EST. However, registered leaguers may engage in matches at anytime with any recognized league member.

During Formal Game Nights:
    I will always be linked into UOAM if I am present during Game Night. To link to UOAM see the guide here. I will be linked with NO PASSWORD (so you just leave the password blank)

• 1. Games will start as soon as there are 2 or more gentlefolk arrive and continue in a 'champion' remains fashion until all who wish to play have a chance to engage. Next contestants will be determined by arrival and then by request once everyone who wants to has had a turn (i.e. after everyone has had a chance, if there are still folks who want to play, call out if you want next match). For games resulting in a draw the next two contestants who have not yet engaged are given priority to take the board
      2. The first persons to arrive on scene should immediately start up a party manifest. In the event that there are more than 20 persons in attendance we can use UOAM link
      3. It is strongly recommended that you make the chess board PRIVATE so that you are not interrupted and to avoid awkwardness of asking somebody to clear your board. There will not be any intervention if an observer steps onto the board if you have not made it private.
      4. Limit your AFK moments in a match. If you know you will not be able to give your full attention to your match, then respectfully pass on your turn (even if you are currently champion). Please note Nujelm board will automatically end your game if you take an extraordinarily long time. Games ended due to exceeding time will result in a draw on game nights.
      5. ALWAYS FINISH YOUR MATCH (this is a reiteration of the general league rules)
      6. The council strongly encourages observers who wish to bring their own tables, chairs, and chess sets to play while the Nujelm board is occupied. For a non'Nujelm board game to count, players must have an arbiter, otherwise it is understood that they are having a friendly match
      7. To have your game night matches logged in my rankings, you must still post on forums, or have somebody post for you and send me a PM even if I am present during that night.
      8. Potential Grief clause: in the event of any excessive and reprehensible grief attempts the Game Night may be moved to any number of Player Run towns so please make sure you link up using UOAM.

There will be no need for an arbiter if you use the Nujelm Battle Chess Arena. Thanks to the hard work and effort by Telamon and staff, the Battle Arena at Nujelm rewards each victor with a nifty scroll to show who officially won and lost. You will just need to have evidence of this scroll (via forum post)

If you wish to engage in a game of chess on a small board anywhere in the land you will need an arbiter (a witness) to the match. Games will only be recognized by the league if you have a forum-post of the winning end-game posted by the arbiter or with both members attesting the game took place.

Disputes will be handled by discretion of the council (currently consisting of me) and may result in the expulsion of one or both rascals from our extraordinary league of gentlemen indefinitely (members may be allowed back in if they show humility by allowing 10 platinum coins to be deleted in a trash can)

Rewards and Rankings
    As this endeavor is just starting, I have no fixed rewards; however, if you are like me the only reward you will need is the prestige that comes with knowing you are better than the other man (POMPOUS MEN UNITE!!!). Also, I will be keeping a personal log of wins and losses so folks can see their standings. To be recorded in my rankings, please make a post to this forum with a screenshot of your scroll. Please also send me a PM so I can record the win in my logs.

Perhaps in time as interest grows the great master of the land Telamon may grace us with a better way of tracking matches in game (perhaps even PORTABLE battle chess sets?!?!) and Rankings listed on the UOR website (like the PvM rankings)

Congratulations! If you have managed to surmount the enormous wall of text prior to this point, then it means you are interested in joining the league! To join simply post your Forum Name the character you wish to be recognized by the league. To start we are limiting the number of recognized characters to one. (I know I like to play different characters for different RP styles, but the league will only recognize 1 total names per forum account). If you are able, please also make a link to your character profile on MyUORenaissance. If you don't know how to do this then I can do it for you.

*** Seal of the ROOK and STONES ***
    ___* ___***___
    |==|_|==|_|==|
    \ _________ /
    \___/ \___/
    |__|||__|
    |__|||__|
    |_______|
    |_______|
  2. Jupiter

NEWS AND UPDATES

<!!THIS SECTION RESERVED FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS!!>
    I don't suspect I will have any immediate announcements. And, since men of extraordinary manners don't need supervision games can commence anytime as long as there are 2 or more gentlemen (or ladies) present.

However, if I do have any remarkable news, I shall post it here and follow up with a BUMP below * wink, nod*
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Standings as of 10/19/2013
    [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SATURDAY NIGHT LEAGUE WILL BE POSTPONED ON 9-14-2013. Due to unforeseeable circumstances the board at Nujelm is unavailable. You are welcome to use the board on the TEST server (see instructions here how to access test server). However, I eagerly await the restoration of the board in the live environment so I can stockpile/give out prize scrolls for victories!

As indicated in the League Manifest, any registered leaguers can engage in a battle at anytime.

9-7-2013 -- DON'T FORGET TO POST A SCREENSHOT OF YOUR WINNING GAME SCROLL AND DATE YOU WON! ALSO PM ME AFTER YOU'VE SUBMITTED A WIN!

9-7-2013 -- CURRENTLY THERE IS NO LIMIT TO HOW MANY MATCHES You can engage in. However, if I see that only 2 or 3 people are constantly submitting, then I may limit ranked matches to 4 per month just to give others who may not be able to play as much a chance to stay up. You can of course play more than 4 matches, but only the first 4 will be ranked. You do not get to choose which 4 your want because if you win/lose then that will automatically affect the stats of the person who lost to/beat you.
  3. Jupiter

Re: Rooks and Stone ~OFFICIAL CHESS LEAGUE~

Recommended Arbiters
    You are not required to pick from this list of arbiters to watch your non-Nujelm board matches. However, it is highly recommended you pick from one of these folks if to help ensure credibility and acceptance of match results. If you would like to be listed as an arbiter please PM Jupiter.

List of Recognized Leaguers​

Forum Name: Jupiter
    Characters:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Forum Name: fooka03
    Characters:

Forum Name: Wise
    Characters:

Forum Name: Atraxi
    Characters:

Forum Name: Hedley Lamarr
    Characters:

Forum Name: Corruption
    Characters:

Forum Name: Ezekiel
    Characters:

Forum Name: Pirul
    Characters:

Forum Name: Zyler
    Characters:

Forum Name: Willie_Nelson
    Characters:

Forum Name: Blaise
    Characters:

Forum Name: Vlar
    Characters:

Forum Name: Marquis
    Characters:

Forum Name: Hegyi Ember
    Characters:

Forum Name: Gabriell
    Characters:

Forum Name: Daffy Duck
    Characters: N/A (not yet submitted)

Forum Name: Lord Eric
    Characters: N/A (not yet submitted)

Forum Name: PrayingMantis
    Characters:
    • N/A (not yet submitted)

Forum Name: Darkradiance
    Characters:

Forum Name: Dex_Zenmaster
    Characters:

Forum Name: dissident
    Characters: N/A

Forum Name: Halabinder
    Characters: Hocus Pocus

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Wise on the forums

Will likely use either Heidi or Valentine.

Possibly Nina.

Looking forward to some brain straining :D
  5. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

Forum: Atraxi
    IRC: Atraxi
    Characters I'll use: Atraxi, Atraxi, or Atraxi
  6. Jupiter

ummm. thanks Atraxi for pointing out that I could not have possibly considered every possible thing.

Your characters will be consolidated into one listing to prevent confusion in the rankings. My Pivot tables simply will not support 3 identical player names.

Shanks :)
  7. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

Those are 3 separate characters that I may use.
  8. Jupiter

I quite understand that you have three distinct characters named Atraxi, and You are welcome to play using any of your Atraxi characters, but as far as rankings go, all games one on any of your Atraxi iterations will be accredited to Atraxi.

This s because all victories you receive will say "Atraxi beat XXX in a fair game of chess"

I trust I won't have to explain why this would be a problem. But just to be on the safe side I'll bluntly state that I am not going to try and figure out if it was Atraxi the Plum, Atraxi the Peach, or Atraxi the Apricot because you haven't given any of your different Atraxi's a distinction in name.

Does that make sense?

If you absolutely must have all three Atraxi's considered separately, then you must provide some distinction for each one for me AND you must do the following:

1. Before every ranked match announce to your opponent which iteration of Atraxi you are
    2. When posting for rankings you MUST clearly explain which iteration of Atraxi it is for
    3. you must not for any reason make me regret allowing you to have your three Atraxi's considered distinctly in the rankings

Please let me know the distinction you'd like to use for each Atraxi (i.e. Atraxi1, Atraxi2, Atraxi3; or Lord Atraxi, Atraxi the Apricot, Atraxi the Polar Bear Diver)

Shanks
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Atraxi I, II & III

Problem solved.

Maybe we should start with one character to keep it simple and easy to track?
  10. Jupiter

Wise, Your post is imbued with wisdom. I see now that having three characters might also make it awkward if somebody specifically wants to challenge a top ranked player, but if that player arrives as their 'alt' then it won't actually help a person move up in rankings.

I don't suspect any of the first members would engage in such tactics, however, to avoid it from ever occuring, effective immediately I am changing the League membership rules to one character per Forum name. Atraxi thank you for bringing this to light before it resulted in an awkward situation.

Wise thank you for sharing a portion of your smrtness. Please let me know which of your characters you would like to have in the league.
  11. Hedley Lamarr

Hedley Lamarr Member

Forum: Hedley Lamarr
    IRC: Wags
    Character: Wags
  12. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Count me in.

Forum: Corruption/Game: Corruption

Prepare for total ownage. Of me. By everyone. Cuz I'm terrible, even if I love it. :D
  13. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I will be represented by the Prominent Valentine, Grandmaster tactician.

:cool:
  14. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

I'm in :cool:
  15. Jupiter

Brilliant! I presume you'll be manifesting yourself in a humanoid body named Ezekial?
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Pirul

Sior Elis
  17. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I'm in

Johari
  18. Willie_Nelson

Willie_Nelson New Member

IM IN

Rebel
  19. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member

What is this? After our epic games you would count me out? :cry:

I will be represented by Cash of course
  20. Jupiter

My good man, of course you were not counted out; we men of gentlemanly standing assume nothing so I was merely waiting for your submission to officially welcome you into the club you have co-founded.

By all rights and as one of the founding members, Cash has the following privileges available immediately if he so elects to take them:

Recommended arbiter
    Council Member of Rook and Stones (with all rights inherited therein - not quite sure myself what those are)