Runic weapons that exist where no hammer does

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Google-

Google- Member

Telamon gave me the verite one after all the hubbub about the agapite axe snap almost got.
  2. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

You recruiting for AT?
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yeah, we're recr3wting right now. Stun Tamer Faction characters only though.
  4. Mandevu

Good news for you then. Mandevu is a stun tamer and in factions! How long until I get val wepunz??
  5. Walisin

Walisin Member

If stun-tamers are a "thing", that's a fairly reliable sign for control checks being implemented poorly, as per the RunUO standard. So unless the guild is a means to draw attention to the fact and force a fix, you guys should hang your heads in shame and release all pets held in captivity by these bug-enabled abominations.
  6. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

Explain for the dumb orc please.........
  7. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Blaise, was just being facetious...

I'm not really sure what you mean by control checks being implemented. Care to elaborate?
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I was just kidding as I find PvP tamers to be an abomination and an embarrassment to anyone who calls themselves a PvPer.

As I believe the term was coined when tamers ruined factions on OSI but probably earlier....All Kill, No Skill.
  9. Walisin

Walisin Member

>.> ... Sure got me. 'guess I'm reacting allergic to the mention of stun-tamers, as those actually became "fashionable" on the last free-shard I played. Combined with relative macros and teleport jewelry.. well, you can probably imagine it.

Thing being: Those templates shouldn't have been possible in the first place. They were enabled by bad coding of the "control checks", which compare a pet's taming difficulty to your character's Taming/Lore skills, each time a command is issued.
    On production shards, the big 3 would get fairly irrate if your Taming/Lore was too low. Not only did they refuse to follow commands, during early UO:R there was actually a chance for them to turn around and come after you. I was running a PvP-capable tamer myself in those days, and 80ish lore already meant risking a dragon wanting to bite your face off (every once in a while).
    This isn't really being emulated well by RunUO's standard settings, and as a result, people got away with ridiculous templates. Using pets effectively just didn't bind enough skill points to open up major weaknesses when the "stun"-element was added.

If there were stun-tamers on production shards, those were likely a reaction to faction-runic-dexxers, and may have used a 5x Mage template plus Taming/Lore and straight up replaced Resist with Anatomy (plus/minus minor tweaking). The drawback is fairly obvious.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

The stun tamers mentioned here have taming; you cannot mount a mare at all without sufficient lore and taming. They just are using stun mage skillset to fill in the remainder -- at least this is how I understand it.
  11. Walisin

Walisin Member

There's some miscommunication happening. I tried to edit my last post to make it a little bit clearer.

Of course a certain amount of Taming (and to a lesser degree Lore) is required to own a pet in the first place. On production shards, however, there was a non-marginal difference between this threshold and being able to command a pet. And being able to command it very reliably took yet higher skill levels, with pets having a chance to flip on the tamer otherwise.
    The skill levels required to command a pet on standard RunUO settings are lower (if that previous shard is any indication), and pets do not attack their master.

The result is a stun-template can get away with less skill points tied up in Taming/Lore, making it a lot more effective than it would have been historically.
  12. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. The minimums to even accept a mare -- and without accepting one you can't mount one (as friending does not work here for mounting) -- are as follows:

Nightmare (difficulty 95.1) GM lore, 85.0 taming or GM taming, 45 lore

The only confusion is that you are making assumptions about what is enabled here, mechanics-wise.
  13. Mandevu

I run:
    Taming
    Lore
    Magery
    Meditation
    Eval
    Resist
    Wrestle
    Anat

8 skills total. 3 of these skills are 100, the other 5 are 80. My lore/taming are two of the 100 skill. I ride a highly trained nightmare and unless you want to completely remove the ability to stun, a premiere feature of UOR pvp, then shut up. I'm so sick of people throwing their two cents around about pvp wanting things nerfed when they don't have a clue what they're even saying. I sacrificed 5 skills to add an 8th. I have yet to even use the character, and if you want to question my ability to pvp I will gladly show you where you are mistaken. The ONLY reason i have the template is because I hardly have the time to group with enough people to combat the sheer numbers of some of the opposing factions.

Like corruption said, you're speculating on something with absolutely no insight as to the proper mechanics here. It's exhausting listening to people do garbage like this day in and day out. I tried running 100 tame/80 lore and my mare listened significantly less; I couldn't hardly get my wyrms to obey a single command. So, without any knowledge whatsoever, walasin, you've made several posts based on sheer assumption and past server experience....which is completely irrelevant here.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  14. Walisin

Walisin Member

Not quite sure what to say. If the whole topic is so anger-inducing for you, Mandevu, and you feel the need to incoherently justify yourself for having such a template.. maybe it isn't for you, after all? I mean, you have yet to even use the character, right? And it's already driving your blood pressure up..

Now, if you go over my posts again carefully - and preferably without self-righteous fury clouding your judgment and reading comprehension - you will probably notice that I did not request any kind of nerf, or stun being disabled (for tamers or otherwise), or anything even vaguely resembling either proposition.
    I remarked on the validity of this template (and its popularity on a previous shard I played) largely depending on a glitch with RunUO's settings. To which you reacted by violently insisting I know nothing about this shard. Which I said absolutely nothing about, besides infering it might be suffering from similar issues if the templates are so viable that they became widely popular.

So, frankly, your tantrum seems oddly out of place.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Walisin, he's just agitated that he's getting his balls busted for building one of the most embarassing 'PvP' templates ever seen. Especially considering he's one of the few players that is known as a 'skilled pvper'.
    No one called for a nerf but many call it sad. I don't think tamers have any place in factions but that's not any opinion shared by everyone.

You've had the time to build all those characters and make videos of murdering bards. Perhaps some of that time could have been spent letting water pass under the bridge and building some alliances where perhaps once you had enemies. If you feel like thinking that far back, you may recall that the majority of the people I faction with were once my enemy.

People want to complain all day about the 'sheer numbers' in SL and I hope it stays that way until people learn to get over their differences and form up like VOLTRON for the common goal, to win. Factions isn't about the 1v1 or the 2v2, it's about town controls, base defense and BIG team battles. So please, park your PvP lamertamers and just go build some alliances instead. Your mare isn't going to stay highly trained if you start/keep fielding it in factions anyway.
  16. Mandevu

Tantrum? I could give a crap less about the character or whether or not i've played him. And I definitely am not even going to begin to take advice from Blaise with anything remotely pvp related so I'm not going to respond. My frustration came from YOU, walasin, coming in here and automatically assuming that there was a control imbalance that allowed tamers to create these "PVP STUN TAMERS" that could run around with lower taming/lore and thus having some kind of broken control mechanism with the server ...which was 100% false. No, my frustration comes from people who start blabbing on about junk they don't know anything about. Like i said in my previous post, you are wrong; fact. I tried running 100 tame/ 80 lore and it just wasn't going to cut it because i couldn't get my pets to listen, therefore, i had to sacrifice a different skill to keep the 100 lore for control reasons.. which is the entire reason I put you on blast; for criticizing something you had zero factual knowledge about here on THIS server.

Disclaimer, I don't care how many people are in opposing factions. I've primarily ran solo my entire UO career.. I did not make the comment that I use my stun tamer to combat the numbers of opposing factions to trash talk any one faction or any one group. I said it because there is one instance that i would use the character and that's to raid a base when it's only myself and maybe a couple others against a horde of sigil guarding factioners. I prefer to fight outnumbered anyways because it's usually the only way to get anyone to stand on screen and fight. The only reason I haven't used him since finishing the build a few weeks ago is because I simply haven't had the time to really field at all. I've done two tournaments and maybe one PK run. Thanks for the advice though, Blaise. Stun tamers are boss.
  17. Mandevu

p.s. conversation is over on my end. I'll continue using my stun tamer when i feel necessary, and i'll continue attacking people who come on to our forums making false accusations about particular mechanics when they're backed by speculation and past experience. Do some actual research before you come in here throwing garbage around.
  18. Mandevu

19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I look forward to fighting your stun tamer and or running away from it.
  20. Walisin

Walisin Member

This was never a conversation on your end in the first place. It was inane ramblings, fueled by a perceived slight against you, your highly trained nightmare and the shard as a whole.
    I'll put your reading comprehension to the test, one more time, and see whether you can figure out the relative and conditional elements in the following sentence (it may seem familiar):

If you type up more incoherent rage than Blaise does in the same thread, that's a fairly reliable sign for anger issues clouding your judgment.

Except for the part where I didn't make any accusation in the first place. I established a cause-effect relationship between an issue with RunUO settings and stun-tamers being widely popular due to increased performance, compared to production shards.
    This statement is factually correct, and one person running a stun-tamer template of questionable effectiveness for the stated purpose doesn't make it a "thing". A guild recruiting stun-tamers exclusively, as Blaise suggested in jest, would have made it a "thing" - and would have hinted strongly at underlying mechanical causes. Which is all I ever said.

I'll try to let you figure out the difference yourself and provide two examples. One of them is an accusation, the other is a statement of fact, based on the proceedings documented in this thread and my past experience with similar situations:

1. Mandevu, you are an idiot!
    2. So far, all evidence seems to suggest you are an idiot, Mandevu.