Runic weapons that exist where no hammer does

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I didn't read your post.
  2. Walisin

Walisin Member

But you did take the time to post a one-liner, in a half-assed attempt to have the last word, despite a baffling lack of arguments or common sense?

Can't tell if serious...
  3. Mandevu

It isn't really that I have a lack of arguments. I just really don't care enough to argue with you. At what point do you think either one of us would stop and say, "you know what? You're right man!" Not gonna happen, and I'm not about to waste my time.
  4. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Wallsin, its really not that difficult.

1) Mandevu is not the only one that runs this template; and it is effective. Disliked, but effective. Theres a reason these posts started.

2) You would know he's not the only one playing a stun tamer here, if you were actually playing the server rather than simply critiquing its forums.

3) You wouldn't have had to make the entirely incorrect correlations between RunUO defaults and what is enabled here, if you were actually playing the server rather than simply critiquing its forums.

I'm all for a constructive post that provides something that benefits the shard, or for open discussion -- but you're directly discussing functionality as either A) you think it should be, B) as you remember it on OSI, or C) making direct correlations based off of PRIOR experiences, unrelated to this shard, with the RunUO code. This is the case with almost every post you've made here so far. And, again, theres nothing wrong with that.. except that you keep giving advice for things that are either already solved for here, or suggesting that things should be managed mechanically different than they currently are.

You have some good ideas; however, its hard to take any of those ideas serious when you're making them all from arms length. Quit armchair quarterbacking the shard, and get in and play.
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  5. Mandevu

Walisin, do you think we can still be friends?
  6. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

you know, pvp tamers are pretty gay all around.
  7. Mandevu

That is unfortunate.
  8. Taran Kain

Taran Kain New Member

Not sure what that has to do with anything... unless in order to be a pvp tamer you have to.. scissor or something...

[​IMG]
  9. Mandevu

From runic hammer/weapon databases to stun tamers to scissoring.. Nice guys; beautiful transitioning. Let's keep up the good work.
  10. Walisin

Walisin Member

The moment you manage to form a coherent argument convincing enough to warrant a change of opinion. I'm less confident this would work the other way around, based on our interaction so far, but that's the general direction you should be aiming for.

If you do, the "conversation" could well go along the lines of..
    I'll concur, with the caveat of having expressly questioned the given template's effectiveness for its stated purpose. As I get the impression you would rather not discuss this based on hypotheticals -which is understandable- I'm going to spare you.
    It's really not my intention to get you riled up by my participation in a discussion. I can understand that the feeling of having to correct my misconceptions before a discourse can commence in a productive fashion may be irritating - and actually detract from the topic, as well as lessen your enjoyment of the forums.

Now here's the thing: I'd much prefer to hop in and be a part of the fun, but I am unfortunately still computer-disabled, and rectifying the situation may take a few more weeks. During that time, reading the forums does provide me with an opportunity to get to know the shard and community.. and every once in a while, I'll want to join the discussion and express my opinion.
    So a solution might be to actually put me on your ignore list, for the time being, and let people who don't mind as much correct false conclusions on my part. The moment you see "Walisin" run around in-game, you can review the decision and take it from there.
    Unless someone wants to deliberately mess with you, by parking a character of that name next to Brit' bank in order to lull you in a false sense of security, this should be workable.
    Considering that was the first time you cared to spell my forum handle correctly, I'll think about it.
    Mes likes this.
  11. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I'm not one for ignore lists, and hypotheticals are in fact quite welcome here. The problem in commentary such as above seems to be a lot less of trying to determine how things work, and a lot more of stating how they should work, without having paid proper respect to if that has been modified with purpose here, what that purpose is, and in several cases even what the mechanic is as it stands. 95% of these answers are available here on the forum; and seeing as you haven't actually experienced the mix of what the development efforts thus far have to offer, again, its hard to accept that any opinions are really informed on such topics.

Further, a big part of it is that the forums are a bit more of an extension of the community here, and not as much a direct representation of the community. Between in-game, and IRC, there are a ton of behind the scenes interactions that never make their way to the forums, outside of little jabs like the one Blaise made at Mandevu above. Seeing as you haven't experienced the community directly, interactively, yet -- the 'subtleties' of this are lost on you -- and its not that it was subtle, but without the context of the greater running factional conflict there, you clearly missed that this was not an "OMG stun tamers are taking over!" comment and instead was a friendly in-game enemy jab to another.

My only ask is that you withhold much criticism about how things SHOULD be, or discussion in terms of mechanics as absolutes, until you've got a basis of experience here to go from. I certainly understand the tribulations of dealing with technology, but I also hope that you can understand that you are approaching the community at large from a very disjointed perspective, because a lot less of our community action happens on the forums than I have experienced in other places. This is not to say we don't have our fair share of it, as you have clearly witnessed, but the community at large functions a lot more out of IRC than it does the forums for day to day things.

I hope this gives a bit more perspective on my response; it was not intended as a defensive or an attempt to quelsh your voice.
  12. Mandevu

Wallison (lol), you came on here speaking about mechanics of how other servers work and made an assumption about how this servers mechanics works solely based on the 'what if' presumption that stun tamers 'may' be a thing, but you haven't actually spent enough time in game here to know that. How the hell can I take you seriously? The fact that you've come out blasting with overly exaggerated 'self intellectual superiority complex' speaking on issues about a given mechanic within a server, with no legitimate experience or server coding to support any claim you've made about the subject of how control works here on this server, and yet you're debating the issue and giving examples of completely irrelevant past experience on other servers, makes me think you're flat out retarded.

I am sorry, but we can no longer be friends. Like corruption said, if you had actually spent time in game and talking with others and staff, there would be no need to come on here slamming walls of overly analyzed, irrelevant text about your past experience and how things 'should' or 'should not work' based off pure speculation.

Fact - stun tamers are a thing here.

Fact - you cannot run around controlling pets with lowered taming/lore and thus creating an imbalance in how one might create a stun/tamer template

Fact - your opening statement was an attempt to make a definitive statement about an obvious mechanical flaw based on your past server experience, and the premise of "if" stun tamers are a thing here which was 100% incorrect on your end. As stated before, had you played here you'd know that.

Fact - you pissed me off for being such a blatant idiot

Fact - you proceeded to overly analyze and exaggerate your claims to support your hypothesis based off your past server experience with absolutely no legitimate support from the server you're actively speaking on behalf of.

You really don't even deserve this kind of a response, but people like you really get under my skin - especially when you try to talk in such a fashion of intellectual superiority toward others when you're actually arguing over an ancient video game forums. To top it off you're entirely incorrect in your approach and rebuttals, yet continue to speak with such pompous certainty on the issue, and you expect me to trade stupidity with you for pages on end? While simultaneously telling me I'm the idiot when I'm the one with actual sever experience and knowledge on the issue while you are not? No thanks, brah. Dueces.
  13. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Walksin, you come across in your posts as an arrogant self righteous know it all prick. To make things worse, you're commenting on things about which you have zero in game experience with on this server.

So I guess my main question is, how do you find time out of busy days actively working to destroy the country to troll UO forums?
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

since we're picking sides i'm getting on Team Walisin

[​IMG]

see you guys in the trash talk forum!!
  15. nightshark

nightshark Member

All Skill
  16. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

i got another one for you nightshark

All Kill

now I need someone to make one named Invis At Will
  17. Walisin

Walisin Member

Really? Either stick to your resolution of not engaging in conversation with me, or otherwise at least show the common decency to invest some believable effort into pretending you contributed to making your own case.
    Seeing how this unfurled, the question probably shouldn't be "how", but "why". On the other hand, now that name-calling took off in earnest, this is slowly beginning to feel authentic. So.. thank you for making me feel at home, I guess?
  18. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Despite claims that they haven't used their stun tamers (they have) and that they don't have more than one (they do) we've had a few engagements with their stun tamers and come out on top. It seems like you're concerned about stun tamers being too effective on this server Walisin, and I can reassure you that they're not. I think they're less deadly than sane well built pvp templates.
  19. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

20. Mandevu

I've used mine one time. The moment i pulled my wyrms out you all left, and therefore we left. Where do you come up with these stories man? I've never even gotten close enough to someone in combat to stun someone and use the build for what it's created for. Trust me, i've tested it plenty, and if I stun you and put two wryms, and a mare on you, you're going the fuck to sleep. It's funny, because the time you refer to was in moonglow when we were fighting back and forth with our factioners. I swear to god the second your group saw my wyrms coming y'all disappeared. If you say anything different happened you are 100% confirmed delusional in my book. The fact that you think a regular build is stronger than a stun tamer is laughable.