Searching for a house

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Jack of Shadows, Jan 22, 2017.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

And your #'s here remind of the time someone tried to gauge the servers online count by recalling around sosaria tracking and tallying.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    One likes this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  4. Loki

Loki Active Member

My 2¢...

With regards to taxation.. If I have spent years building up secures and lockdowns using the platinum rewards for my fort and/or any other building why should I be taxed (penalized) for this? What happens if I want to buy a bunch or high end items and use up all my gold? Am I now going to be required to keep a minimum balance in my bank just to make sure my house doesn't fall because I bought some pretty pixels to put in my house?

The early bird catches the worm... Why should I be penalized for playing here for years just because someone else who just started wants a special home? Does that mean we should also reduce prices on all the Anniversary items? I mean I'd like a full set of 1st Anny stuff but I don't really want to pay the high price people are asking, or spend time in game getting gold to buy it, so can I just complain on here and have the price reduced?? Or maybe if you don't wear a pair of sandals once a week they disappear after a while? Or maybe we could tax what's just sitting in peoples banks? There are a lot of items I'd like to own that are just sitting in people's banks this is not fair!! What about server birth rares? I didn't have a chance to grab them when the server started but I don't want to pay what people are asking so can we come up a new system so I'm a happy little snowflake? (Not really promoting these things just trying to show how stupid this argument is) I have been holding onto my fort in hopes that I could sell it for more later (kind of like any type of investment) selling it for 10 mil is a joke IMO when you see what other stuff sells for on the forums.. The reason IMO most people are holding onto large homes is because they want to sell it for more than what people want to pay for it. If people were willing to pay more I think you would start seeing some of those larger unused properties pop up on the market.

I do like the idea of condemning houses so that at least the actual owner has to refresh it every once in a while. Maybe someone in the 1% could start a mortgage company and loan out money to people or something. Changing the game mechanics too much ruins it.

I would suggest people start saving so that way they can buy their Malibu Barbie Endgame Dream House. Once moats are implemented prices will go up even higher and 25 mil for a fort will be a deal. I feel like if someone really wanted a fortress or house in an amazing spot they should work hard and save up and try to purchase it. I have purchased homes for way over market value before because I have really wanted them. I have also had to sell some "premium" properties for very low amounts because at the time no one wanted them. It is all supply and demand.

@ShadowJack I do have a small tower next to the Serpents Hold bank and tailor if you are looking for something small. It is a great location, but just like my fort I personally value it more than what I think the market would so I am hesitant to even mention it because I am not looking to offend you or anyone.
    Ahirman, Punt, LanDarr and 1 other person like this.
  5. Riyne

Riyne Active Member

this is amazing, can this even happen?

lul.

great thread all around
    ReZon likes this.
  6. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

That Gideon quote is a classic!
  7. Air

Air Well-Known Member

8. Air

Air Well-Known Member

I agree with your statement above, which is why I believe one house per account would make this server population EXPLODE. Could you imagine coming here brand new, and having the opportunity to grind for a few weeks and own your own keep/fort?

Listen, the truth is, we are all getting older. A lot of us dont have the time to grind 10 hours a day to save up 25mill for a fort. A lot of us want to enjoy this game like we did 15+ years ago, but with limited game time, why would we stay here with almost no chance to obtain the big fancy houses? As a new player, I would run around Britania and see all of those vacant houses and wonder, wtf? After seeing that, I would automatically assume the active online accounts were inflated.

As for your snowflake comment, apparently you do not know how to separate gaming from real life. This is a game. Life is not fair, and in the real world I hope you buy up all of the property you can and make a fortune on it later. Here in fantasy land, we get enjoyment out of playing with other people and reliving our childhoods. By hoarding land, all we are doing is discouraging new players from staying.

I am 100% against taxing, that is a terrible idea. I agree with your stance there 100%.

I think there are a LOT of people, especially on different servers that would come and stay here if the population grew and if the actual era accurate home ownership mechanics were implemented. It's not about being fair to the snowflakes, its about attracting and retaining people that I can PK and betray.
  9. El Horno

Because starting with 66,000 characters would be assuming that not a single person has quit this shard since inception. An absolute shit ton of those 66,000 characters are on inactive accounts, or on accounts with no houses.
  10. Air

Air Well-Known Member

Thats my point exactly! So using the character and account count, to find an average of home ownership per account is as far from accurate as you can get...do you understand now?
  11. El Horno

So we agree then, using the character and account count to find an average of home ownership per account is extremely unaccurate.......

But I didn't use the character and account count to find an average of home ownership per account.

I just quoted Telamon, who probably just looked this shit up. Do you understand now?
  12. Air

Air Well-Known Member

I was disagreeing with Telamons number, not with what you said. You assumed I was attacking you.
  13. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Keeps/Forts should not be available to everyone. They are end game houses. If you want one then you should have to pay a premium for it. I look at owning my fort as my vet reward. I was here early enough to be able to place my own fort. I'm confident that I likely wouldn't own a fort if I hadn't had placed my own and I would be comfortable with that. Forts are expensive. So are valorite hammers, server births, anniversary gear, event rares, etc.. There are items that I know I will never own, no matter how long I ever play on this server, and I'm comfortable with that. Those that aren't shouldn't be playing UO.
    Ahirman and Loki like this.
  14. Air

Air Well-Known Member

I could have used better wording there, but I publicly apologize if it seemed as though I was attacking you. Either way, it seemed like you were using telamons numbers to support your stance. So I still win. GG
  15. Air

Air Well-Known Member

Says the 1%er.
  16. El Horno

But your argument against Telamon's #'s came down to you using data that we now have both agreed is extremely inaccurate. How could you possibly prove his #'s wrong with that starting point? I just don't understand your argument.
  17. Air

Air Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. Air

Air Well-Known Member

@ShadowJack would you be interested in my keep town south east of ice dungeon?
  19. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

My wealth has nothing to do with my argument.

Just like in any other MMO, you can't just start from day 1 and expect day 1460 things after a few weeks of playtime.
  20. Air

Air Well-Known Member

Arguing with you guys is like trying to make sense to a damn squirrel. Here's a simple question for ya @Cynic

Do you think the server population would grow if houses were limited to 1 per account?

Forget it, you guys make your money on the housing market so your opinion on this is always going to be biased regardless of what the opinions of others are.