Second age thoughts

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Bluecrush, Apr 7, 2020.

Which way?

1. What I Said

18.2%
  2. How Things Are Currently

81.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

This is the third time I have played on this server and I also played a ton on ousecondage.com. I feel this server is missing something huge. I believe factions should be removed, chaos and order should be the main focus. Towns should not have spell damage. Revert the mechanics of being in town to the second ages level. For all towns except occlo. I believe this would make PvP more accessible to a wide variety of people. Make it so that in town a parry fighter would be king. I feel this would lead to more guild wars and new people interacting with each other. As far as I am concerned the factions are already useless. Town are on lock down anyways. Why not give this a try. Seeing people fighting in town is exciting and it give people something to watch and something to do. I would be all over it if these changes happen. The parry fighter is way more user friendly than complicated PvP build. This would also make some skills more useful. Like parry, poisoning, macing, archery just a few off the top of my head. It also would create a market for armor and stuff to engage in these fights.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Hydrox and Steady Mobbin like this.
  3. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

UOSA did have no spell damage in the GZ, and Derrick was proper into era-accuracy so I'd guess it was correct for era.

Can't see how making no spell damage would increase fights in town though, since so many mages would then be unable to fight in said towns. I think imagining that it would get everyone to make and play your preferred build is perhaps not realistic.
    One likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

5. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

Jill. The point is to have a more simple type of PvP. People will know what to expect and would be less afraid to get involved. I don't get your point on magery. Cause magery damage is allowed in factions and they are still dead. People also like to be able to fight without traps. Factions are far to complicated.
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  6. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Town fighting is dead. Removing the ability for most toons to fight in town is only going to make it more dead, if that's possible.

That was my point. I've no dog in this race though, just idle observation.
    Bluecrush likes this.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

8. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

Anyone that has played on this shard and secondages shard should know what I am talking about. Back when the other server was popular there was tons of fighting going on in britain and the graveyard.
  9. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Just play @Bluecrush I am sure that the wonderful staff has long been hatching ideas for reviving PvP. And what I observe over the past half a year is generally the cosmic dynamics of growth in the level and quality of the server.

By playing here regularly you will not only benefit the server, you will also find like-minded people and maybe the hour will come when the staff will tell you - hey guy, we need your ideas about fractions and help in revitalizing pvp! Join our train!

In the meantime, I'm waiting for your store to open to buy some high-quality goods at great prices, buddy ...

;)
  10. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

Also. "One" tamers are not as mobile as fighters are. It would be hard for them to keep up with a fight. With no spell damage in town, dragons couldn't do as much damage.
    One likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

Kiryana likes this.
  12. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

These kinds of ideas come up a lot. Here is my take TLDR: do it yourself.

This idea of no magery town combat would be better implemented player side.

Here is how you increase pvp with or without rules, GO PVP!

If you want to have melee/parry/no mage/ no tamer pvp based on O/C, get some friends and start 2 guilds pvp regularly and recruit! hard! Center it in one town (Brit/occlo) make it known that guilds will be restructured to keep numbers even as our population ebbs and flows. PVP regularly! Advertise it! Recruit!

Show some god damn initiative.

I love melee pvp I would certainly join up. But no spell damage in town server wide is dumb and as other people have said it would kill what is already dying. I fully agree factions with the same setup as osi is not feasible for the population of a freeshard, but it's not likely to change any time soon. So work inside the system.
    NCCML and One like this.
  13. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

Holden my idea is a good one. You make me laugh sir!

Attached Files:

14. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

I cannot be the only one that remembers what it is like to play a town fighting character. Maybe I am just that old school
  15. FartBarf

FartBarf Active Member

I remember the town fights, the blue healers (non-guild/faction toons that would support the fighters but not fight), and the rampant rez killing at the local healer. There were times when it was good time, but then there were the other times where one would have to drop their guild just to go shopping for a blank recall rune.

It was fun on Baja when large guilds like LOD and H2O were involved, just because the volume of people in one space massacring each other through the server lag was glorious. But magic was still king in the town fights. If you got two good blue healers to throw walls of stone, energy fields, heals, and cures for a couple of chaos or order dexxers, there was no real fight. Especially if that dexxer toon was a macer. Two well-placed energy fields against a building and simply standing in the way while the guilded dexxer bashed away at your stamina was the ideal tactic.

Magic will always be supreme in this game. I understand the desire to make dexxing a viable PvP option, since I prefer hallywhacking over e-bolting, but I think the lengths to which the shard overlords would have to go to make towns free of magic would fundamentally change the experience of the entire shard's player base.

I think Holden has the best solution for you: advertise your idea for town PvP, make two guilds, set the rules of engagement to whatever you want them to be, pick a town, and go to war. There are a bunch of player-run events that happen on this server. A 4v4 friday night dexxer fight bracket where the winning team gets some kind of bauble or trophy sounds like a good time to me. Or maybe you just beat the hell out of each other just to do it.

Give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen?
    One likes this.
  16. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

17. Patek

Patek Active Member

Build an LJ dexxer, they maul in PVP and are cheap to build and fairly easy to get good with.

I’m for keeping things how they are. No damage in town just made UOSA fiddly.I’ve seen suggestions around shrinking down factions a bit which could be interesting or somehow melding it with chaos/order, but it’s tricky.

My recommendation is get out there and PVP more - be the change you want to see. Join a PVP guild or build your own and get fighting, there’s lots of it on the server if you look and all templates have value in a group, not just stun mage.

For really basic builds like parry dexxer or whatever go with organised fights or just build a guild and declare war on another that shares the same idea. Something like Intro PVP guilds would be kinda cool, but it’ll be driven by the players, not a server change.
    Holden, FartBarf and One like this.
  18. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Given its current state, I’m not sure using UOSA as an example to follow is wise.
    Leopold, TheNomad, Alvien and 3 others like this.
  19. Bluecrush

Bluecrush Active Member

Steady Mobbin the current state of that shard has way more to do with the ways people can screw each other over. Most of those issues have been resolved on this server and have nothing to do with what I am talking about. I just think it would be fun and there would be more guild wars if the changes I mentioned happened. Nothing is perfect but I believe there are more good things that could come out of it than bad. It would be nice to have a towny character again. There is a place for tamers on this shard and mages. There is absolutely nothing for the old school Parry fighter. Outside of town everything would be business as usual. I just wish people would think about it for a minute.
  20. FartBarf

FartBarf Active Member

While I agree that there might not be much focused on the build, I disagree that there is absolutely nothing for a parry fighter. I turned mine into a battle miner, just because I want to drop mining on my crafter and i was looking for a way to make money without having to do the same thing my other toons do. I'm sure that's not the kind of thing you're searching to hear, but it's enough 'proof of concept' to show that a parry fighter isn't an inviable build.

Overall, I think you're going to hear one version or another of this:

I haven't been here as long as most, but it seems to me there is always one PvP event or another. If you're keen on getting some straight-up pure fighter action going, I would start by hitting up the folks that coordinate those--I'll have to defer to the others for names of folks that do--see if you can't get something attached to that event, and start spreading the word. My silly ass just started an "undead hunter" toon for the Halloween event, because it sounds fun to run a dexxer with a silver axe through that chaos. Will she ever solo a dragon? Nah. Will i have a good time trying? Yeah. Hell, when I get her done, I'd run her through a bracketed PvP event.
    One likes this.