Security Macro causing lag...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Medieval Name, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Medieval Name

Medieval Name Well-Known Member

So I have a macro set to unlock/move/relock a table in my villa to make sure nobody goes thru it at the same time as I do.
    Thing is... for some reason it's causing lag after I use it. Game will run smooth but when running my character will kinda freeze for half a second every 4 steps.
    Anybody has an idea of why that might happen?
    Macro is pretty simple...

[​IMG]
    MikeK likes this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You have an older version of razor
    plus
    you have character walking involved in your macro
    =
    These two items when combined create the symptoms you describe

That said, I advise not having a macro involved in anything to do with your house security unless you want to be the victim of a B&E.

G'luck.
    Vandalin likes this.
  3. Medieval Name

Thanks for the quick response! Altho I have no clue what B&E is. I figured using a macro would make the action of moving the table quicker as someone could just grab the table before I have time to lock it back..
    I am using the razor version that comes with the UOR package. Does that mean that if I update it, the problem won't occur anymore? I'm also guessing that by getting a newer version I will lose all my existing macros and settings?
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

B.reaking and E.ntering

Before deciding to upgrade, do a little research and back up files / etc to avoid catastrophe

You can access your files and what-not in your AppData folder
    windows (C) > users > "you" > AppData > Roaming > Razor > ...
  5. Medieval Name

After a quick search I figured it was dangerous in case the macro skips the lockdown? I always check it once I'm thru so I should be ok (unless there's something else I didn't read about)

Will try to update razor! Thanks
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You can also remove the walking from the macro and just set some pauses and manually walk your character as needed during the pauses.

Also at the end of the macro, add a short pause and then a usage of Detect Hidden targeting Self.
    Medieval Name and ReZon like this.
  7. Medieval Name

Updating razor fixed it! Had to change the macro a bit but no more lag. Thanks!
    MikeK likes this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

* camps house *
  9. Medieval Name

Hahaha! Joke aside, is there any other risk than just the macro skipping the lockdown? Because I find it works really well... If I make sure it's locked everytime, why would using a macro be a problem?
  10. Cherie

Cherie Active Member

11. Medieval Name

12. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

I would hope that you had already hit Detect Hidden and checked for stealthers before you unlock the table and open your house up to whoever is standing there waiting to steal your table. Also, this is part of the reason why I use a trash barrel, not a locked down item.
  13. Medieval Name

I do check if someone is hiding.. this may be a newbie questions but I fail to see the difference between a locked down item and a trash barrel...
    My new macro starts like this; gives me 2 seconds to stop the macro by hitting CTRL-Z if I see an intruder before it moves the table and locks it back.
    [​IMG]
  14. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Locked down items take more steps before the house is secure. Trash barrels involve 3 steps, axe the trash barrel, take 1 step, place a new trash barrel. locked down items involve unlocking the item, moving it, walking PAST the security wall (that's important), replacing the item, then locking it down. As you mentioned before, the risk of someone taking your table is there. Once someone takes the table, you have nothing to secure the house with unless you have more sitting around in case that happens.

You can't steal a trash barrel.

Also, to lock the table back down, you have to walk PAST your security wall. Someone trying to sneak into your house can simply stand on the tile where you put the table at, hidden, and you'd put the table on top of them and not know it. Then once you move, they walk right into your house. When you place the trash barrel, you stand on that tile, and place the trash barrel. The stealther is stuck behind you, on the other side of the table wall.
  15. Medieval Name

Thanks for your time, makes perfect sense.
    But that also means you have to keep a weapon on you at all times
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

a newbified hatchet imo is required/standard equipment of any character
    Medieval Name and Kirby like this.
  17. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

or put an axe in a secure container by your trash barrel. I like to dye a round bag grey and try to hide it ON the trash barrel.

but yes @wylwrk is right. I carry a newbied hatchet on my main at all times.
    Medieval Name likes this.
  18. Medieval Name

Thanks for the input. Tried the ''use item in hand'' macro but it doesn't seem to work.
    Villas have 3 secure containers so I won't be wasting one on an hatchet pouch and I'm nowhere near buying blessing deeds (and if I were, it wouldn't be for an hatchet, haha). So I guess I'm either going to go without macro for now or just stick with the locked down table. It's pretty fast and the 2 second detect hidden is more than enough time to spot thieves before the macro moves the table.
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

the hatchet in this case comes from a character that chooses lumberjacking as a starting skill
    for example 50 and 50 in your main skills and 1 skill point in a skill you want a newbified item for (in this case, a hatchet)

You asked for advise about your macro, not house security tips. Got it.
  20. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

You can't bless a weapon. You get a newbied hatchet by starting a new character with lumberjacking.

I don't quite understand why it would be a waste. My security wall secure container IS my main secure. I keep everything I need to secure in there, not just a hatchet.

But it is your house, and your stuff that is at risk. I know my house is impossible to loot...can you say the same?