Serious question about active gameplay.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Lord Krake, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I have one account.. (By choice)
    I spend the night killing and I have to spend a minimum of three days thinking about what I've done and why.
    Increased timer would make that nine days? - no thanks.

If i kill a thief before he is able to turn in whatever he/she has stolen.. yay!
    Most of the time the item is banked, stashed, or handed off. There is no difference between 'smart gameplay' of a thief and his goods vs a murderer and the inability of the hunter to claim his head.
  2. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Fair points I think.

A timer scenario is a slight issue in one respect though, someone who is legitimately not welcome outside of thieving, say an ex guildie, banned for (real) griefing of the guild. Or any other of the few reasons that may arise that a player should simply never be allowed on that property again.

Is it beyond the realms of viability to have a ban gump that appears after the ban? The gump may offer an option "Apply for Permanent Ban" with a textbox describing the reason.

Public buildings possibly having no ban ability? Or possibly only public buildings having the timer?
  3. JimmyTheHand

I don't think reducing PK killings is the goal here.
    One likes this.
  4. JimmyTheHand

@Hadrian Not sure you meant to quote me? Maybe One? I didn't talk of timers, only hunters getting paid :)
    One likes this.
  5. Hadrian

One reads everything.
    The second part was for you, shifty thief!
    One likes this.
  6. Blacklow

Blacklow Well-Known Member

I am not a PvP player. I never liked it in the original game play, and I still do not enjoy it now. I am one of those players exactly like you describe above that would prefer Trammel rules to keep things PvM. I only choose to play on this shard, because it is the best damn one available. PK's are just a necessary evil that occur from time to time.

With that said, i do have to give credit to the PK player base here at making their chosen play style more bearable for noobs like me.

The VAST majority of the PKs that have run me down (while i scream like a 14 year old girl at a haunted house i might add) have been good sports after their fun is over. Most leave me with enough to get by, or stick around long enough to get me on my feet and back into town. A few have even taken the time to help educate me on how to evade them in the future. (thank you to the red who pointed out magic reflect and recall macros)

Ultimately, I am very happy with the current status of the shard. And i recognize that my suggestions to improve the game for me, such as a dungeon setting dedicated to Trammel rules, would more than likely be bad for the shard as a whole.
    Basoosh, JimmyTheHand and Leopold like this.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Hadrian likes this.
  8. Hadrian

It's not a woe. It was a Joe.

You realize you have to cut them to bones to get the head right. hehe!

Got em!
    JimmyTheHand likes this.
  9. JimmyTheHand

Hey now! I resemble that remark!

I didn't know there was difficulty in claiming heads... only that the bounty system is broken, so far as if you are to place a bounty on your killer, you're effectively paying them for the privilege of dying to them. Is there difficulty in claiming heads? Maybe I missed that reference :/

Smart gameplay within the rules, sure! Everyone should do it!
    You may appreciate this as you play one account by choice: I don't believe I've ever
    Handed off: I find that a little... exploity. It's not, it's within rules, it just feels that way when your victim suddenly can't get the item even if they kill you.
    Stashing: Not 100% sure I do this very often either, either at a house or out of the way location, usually I'm...
    Banking: Which has a 2minute timer associated due to criminal notoriety, actually, a lot of the time if I've stolen from a bank or town, I bank the item there after returning as blue. It's a little extra cheeky, a little more thrill, a lot more stupid. Fun though! Hell, sometimes I'll bank next to the character I stole from.

I dunno why I'm talking about this, maybe I like to talk... oh! Here's a reason: Honorable folk aren't hunting me, so I make it a bit harder and fun (Relates to previous post and Anti-PKs).
  10. Hadrian

The interactions regardless are the pay in our professions, and they usually pay out in full one way or another,
    Just as murders have to deal with recall macros, or manage to get a little back and fourth.

Right, back to things we like? gardening!? never tried it in UO.
    JimmyTheHand and One like this.
  11. JimmyTheHand

Yeah, way too classic to go anywhere!
    One likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    PaddyOBrien and Hadrian like this.
  13. Cherie

Cherie Active Member

what happened to carpentry and tinkering bod that was to start?
    One and BlackEye like this.