Server Move - Timing and Information

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Jun 13, 2016.

1. babo

babo Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just type "-ping" in-game.
  2. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member

Now I feel like an idiot.... lol. I tried in-game and got 71ms standing still and 110-130 running through towns and woods.

Seeing as how I never did this before, I'm not sure if this is "good" or "bad". But either way, it doesn't seem to be too terribly noticeable from a game-play perspective for me. I'll see if this holds true tonight when I have a chance to get on and do a little more adventuring.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  3. ichiokada

ichiokada Member

-ping

:D
  4. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

The in-game ping command, as others have said, is not accurate. Razor will add overhead to that ping and it seems to be worse while running for some computers.

For instance, I ping 150ms in-game via the Razor Command while running....90-110ms while standing still.
    Through the Command Prompt, I ping what I posted earlier. That Razor ping hardly means anything, really.

The best way to get a representative ping is through the Command Line and type in ping followed by the server address.
    Mindless and The Watch like this.
  5. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

I went from ~30 to >110, but it's perfectly playable.
  6. Lightshade

Make sure you all are pinging using the Command Line.

In Windows, go to the Run Command or the "Search the web and Windows" box in the bottom left and type in cmd and hit enter.

It will bring up a black command line box from the yester-years of DOS that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Type in what is in the red box and hit Enter.

All these screenshots in-game reflect Razor issues with the -ping command. Let's strip out the Razor issues and see what people's real pings are.
    Canis likes this.
  7. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member

Interesting.... When I go through the command line and ping the login server I get a solid 60ms response every time with very very little fluctuation. To me, that's pretty outstanding. Even when I was on the new OSI servers a few years back watching neon toons running around with sunglasses and spikey hair I was getting more lag than that.

To put it in a nutshell, regardless of the server ping times this is still the best version and most fun I've had playing UO since my original OSI days way back in the 90's when I had to walk to school up hill both ways through 250-500ms ping times on a 56k voice modem that kept dropping every time someone called the house (which they always seemed to do at the WORST possible times...). Comparatively, we're on easy street.
  8. blasfede

blasfede Active Member

Min 240 max 460
    Playing from italy didn't change too much but still really bad for us european.
    Now all you know why I die everytime in pvp.................
    ichiokada likes this.
  9. noxy

noxy Member

Command line ping is not more accurate, it uses ICMP which is very different than TCP in-game. TCP is a slower protocol than UDP and has more overhead so it should show higher and probably is more accurate if razor is indeed pinging with TCP packets.
  10. Lightshade

Per the developer that coded Razor in the first place:

So, like I said, if you want to know if your connection to the server is the issue, use the Command Line ping and not the in-game -ping command. The Razor command, -ping, takes into account many other factors that are unrelated to your network path to the server.
    Mindless and Nightwolf like this.
  11. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

250ms from europe... about +100 more than i was used to.

I was able to pvp with 150, and never complained... afterall there werent huge disadvantages unless you did pit fights.
    But 250... well, ill see what im able to :(
  12. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

*Edit: seems I'm late to the party*

Your pings are NOT doubling while running; promise.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    M3THMOUTH likes this.
  13. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

I'm in Dallas and mine is 35... So, maybe it's just slowly going over to the reset.
  14. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

That isn't what you said though. The quote from the razor developer directly contradicts what you originally said. The ingame -ping command is more accurate than the cmd prompt one for how badly you're lagging or not lagging ingame which is ultimately what everyone is concerned with.... Who gives a fuck if the cmd prompt Ping is fast? You aren't playing through the dos window, you're playing through Razor.
    Mes likes this.
  15. Lightshade

Seriously, why do I have to keep explaining this to people. I know you think you're trying to help, but you are screwing this up horribly.

The only way to see if your connection to the server is an issue, and to isolate it to that, is to use a ping through the command line. Then you know what your connection is. When you use the -ping command in Razor, it is several other factors heaped on top of your connection. These factors change by the second and by the location in-game and are mostly independent of your internet connection.

If you want to know if your connection to the server is the issue, you use the Command Line through Windows.

If you want to know if you have a crap computer....or too many programs running on your computer.....or if your need to clean out the air intake on your craptop.....or if the RunUO server is being bogged down at that instance.....or if the RunUO server is throttling packets to keep you from appearing and getting de-sync'd.....or a whole slew of other things, then use -ping in-game and you can KNOW that one of about 50 things are causing something to happen.

Or you can just ping the server the old-fashioned way through a Command Line ping and see what your connection is doing separate from all the other variables that can exponentially complicate things and are completely impossible to sort through and identify in any meaningful way for the average player.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol, the command prompt ping is for getting proper network latency information between you and the host. What your client is doing can definitely vary by several factors, depending on what you're doing with it. Forcing your screen size, among other things, I think increases Razor's overhead. Regardless of how Lightshade worded it, determining whether or not your ping is outrageous or fluctuating (actually, not just from client bloat) can only really be seen on the command line.
    Lightshade likes this.
  17. Caska VS Trees

Caska VS Trees Well-Known Member

I'm scared, Blaise's explanation was easier to follow and less abrasive :eek:

So if I get this right- the in game is probably closer to what we're experiencing at that moment, but the only ping info that would be useful to Chris is from the command line?
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Correct. A ping test from the command line is the only thing he could possibly have any ability to work with. What happens between your cursor and your NIC, is entirely on your PC and out of his hands. From the NIC to the server, he can try to identify problem sources but may have limited ability to change or help with it.
    Caska VS Trees and wylwrk like this.
  19. Fireball

Fireball Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm from near London, England.
    Old ping 86-91
    Current ping 142-166 :-(

FB
  20. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I'm in SW Ontario and right now I'm getting around ~79ms at work and 90-100+ at home. Just for reference, not complaining.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.