Server Move - Timing and Information

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Jun 13, 2016.

1. napo

napo Well-Known Member

This is exactly what you should be saying if you'd like to convince people who are upset about their ping to stick around. Try to sprinkle some bad names and profanity in there too. It might help if you add some stuff about how they're stupid and don't understand how ping works, too.
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I'm just saying people are making WAY too big of a deal about this. Most of us lived through the dial up and 1500+ people being at Brit bank all at once, right? :cool:
    Canis, Katy and Blaise like this.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Is this an inappropriate time to remind napo of the time he told me to quit the shard?

I've heard tell that several people have found vast improvement in their latency by simply switching to Google DNS. If you're not familiar with that:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  4. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member

Its almost like we need to create a database of IP locations in order to quantify the best location for the server....

In the meantime we use our free months of service, deal with the ping issues, and look for a new location that is optimal for everyone. Im not going to complain about my 80ms ping. I just feel bad for the Euro players because I have played with a 300ms+ high packet loss connection for several months and it really sucks.
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I think people have an inclination to assume that others online are upset when stating things like these. Particularly around this server, if you aren't yelling about how hype trains and how UOR is the best thing every and instead give critical feedback, you're assumed to be a malcontent.

I'm disappointed I suppose, but not particularly upset. I have other things I enjoy so losing UO as an option doesn't really put me out that much.
    It is an absolute truth that my ping is about four times higher than it was, and in the unplayable range for me. I'm sure if you remember the days of dial up, you remember that the one guy on the server lucky enough to have 13 ping shit on everyone mercilessly for years until we all upgraded to cable/dsl.

Either way, I'm just stating my feelings and my intentions. You should be happy, I'm letting you know what my plans are instead of just randomly disappearing one day. You have the opportunity to help all of the people saying "help I'm too laggy to play" or to convince them to stick around.
    Making fun of them or telling them that it doesn't matter and that they're wrong probably isn't the best way to help the situation.
    Caska VS Trees likes this.
  6. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Seems talk like this would be more discouraging to others, not my attempt to highlight how much some seem to be overreacting. Dont be so sensitive and lighten up. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

8. napo

napo Well-Known Member

You may consider it an overreaction, but when one can not longer play the game in the way that they enjoy I think it the natural reaction to strike out in search of greener pastures.
    I think 200 ping is playable for someone who does something like bods or enjoys champion spawns (and doesn't mind being unable to outrun the reds) or for someone who does the MIB content or something like that.
    I pvp exclusively and have no desire to be the sickly gazelle at the back of the pack. pvp is all about chasing and being chased, and when a horse can't run anymore you put it down.
    Taliic, BlackEye and Mes like this.
  9. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Until recently I've never been below 160 consistently (and usually over 200). I'm pinging 20-25.
    Edit: This was due to bad internet, not bad hosting.

I agree. This argument works in reverse too... it implies that I shouldn't have been playing before. I guess any pvp accomplishments of these complainers are hereby invalidated. Sorry, you killed a bunch of people with "unplayable" connections.

I also agree that location more centralized to the player base like Atlanta or Dallas would make more sense, but I understand the move wasn't under the best circumstances and the choices were extremely limited. Maybe a better solution can be found in the future. Until then I'm going to enjoy having a good connection for a change.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Mindless, Pax Romain and Blaise like this.
  10. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

just tried to pvp a bit...

Tbh im having more troubles using weapons than ive already had (250 ping now, up from 150) but the Mage fights went pretty well on the field.

I agree if people are saying that they are handycapped with a higher ping on pitfights, but if it comes down to fielding you can be still competitive on a mage. Dexxers should have theyr problems however.

Overall the field (mage) fight felt the same as always, and im running with about the same speed as before.

Btw, in regards of speed: i was used to play on 150ms, and people kept asking me about my speed and how they would love to have a such a good ping too... many of them were mindblown actually lol

If you die on <200ms its seriously hard to blame it on your ping alone. Thats my honest opinion. I would need to do a few tests on 250ms this week, but so far it looks "acceptable" for me.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  11. DiscoD

DiscoD Active Member

What Punt was saying is that you use Razor to play UOR. The fact is that if someone can ping 150ms through CMD and 250 through Razor, sure maybe something between your host and razor is affecting it but none the less you are playing at 250ms. There weren't these many issues when the server was in its last location.

In reality if you do a Ping in CMD you are using ICMP and when you are playing UO, most likely you are using UDP (stand corrected you are actually using TCP with UO). Two different protocols and however you send and whatever firewalls it passes through and by the hops it gets to the server, also however the server deals with it matters. So using the ping command as for your playable metric on UOR wouldn't be ideal. Sure compare the two but the real issue is that the server moved across the country.

I have an i7 3.4ghz 4770k with 16gb of gskill RAM, yadda yadda.. I am pretty sure my system can handle this 20 year old game and razor entirely - yet I have 200 ping while moving and more accurately it feels like 200 ping I have from Razor, not the 100ms I get from command prompt. :)
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  12. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

is all of SL pinging 200 now?
    Cynic likes this.
  13. DiscoD

DiscoD Active Member

Sorry Amfekk I know you wan't to get your pants wet but maybe like 3 of us are from East end. The 30 others are more to the west.
    amfeKk and Xegugg like this.
  14. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I'm unaware of the specifics of the technicalities of Razor's ping system ... but I can guarantee you that it's COMPLETELY unreliable.

This is my result while running in Razor, and I can assure you, I'm not lagging... AT ALL. Not one bit.

[​IMG]
  15. Mindless

I'd also like to see some sort of test on how well people can ACTUALLY feel 1/10 of a second. (+100 ping)

I'm not saying you can't feel it... I certainly can... but in an unbiased test I think the results might surprise you.
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  16. The Musician

The Musician Well-Known Member

Sad thing is my DSL is like dialup :(

pingmaster.png

On the plus side - dueling in higher latency improves ya skill when sometimes you get lucky with 100 MS or less ;)
    PaddyOBrien and Xegugg like this.
  17. Mindless

As I previously stated I think that Razor number is completely insignificant... but your actual ping IS troublesome...

Where you playing from!??! Mars?!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

I think it is simpler than that. For the majority of players it isn't going to matter if the shard is in, say, Dallas or Denver. I'm more interested in how a location impacts people in the borderline areas (Brazil, Europe, Portland/Seattle/Vancouver) than if somebody in Boston went from 60 ping up to 75.
    Iago likes this.
  19. Woody III

Woody III Active Member

ping 575.png
    < 50 to this... even if its a spike, come on. I'm one of the players that will do something else with their time rather than play laggy UO.
  20. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

ah I really thought most of you guys were east coast..