Setting up a barrier net! - VoP Adventure

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Jupiter, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Setting up a barrier net!

Citizens of the realm! Many of the leading oceanonologists have noticed a disturbing trend associated in connection with Zyler's famous fishing tournament. An unforeseen consequence of this extremely popular anglers event is that many of the fisheries are being over fished leaving little food for the larger ocean species. There have been numerous sightings of massive frenzies of sea serpents, krakens, and other extremely dangerous monsters which are moving closer to land day by day.

In order to prevent these creatures from reaching too far into the bays, we have been tasked with setting up a great barrier net! This plan has been approved by the top academics of the land and has Jupiter's full support as the only way to save ourselves.

To build our barrier net, we have collected a large number of the strongest fishing nets we could find. We plan to toss the special net into place in the following week. More details to follow, but rest assured this is shall be completely safe and has little chance of failure*

Jupiter of Paws
    Athena of Paws

*correction note: last sentence should read "this plan is utterly doomed and has no hope for success
    MikeK, newme, Beethoven and 13 others like this.
  2. Jupiter

Details so far. More to follow.

- we have a lot of nets already, but if you wish to contribute please contact Jupiter or Athena

- if you would like to assist in setting up please contact Jupiter.

- This will be a shard wide event which means there may or may not be thieves murderers and/or death in large numbers.

- we will have separate boats for dragons and dexxers. If you plan on bringing pets please read the instructions that will follow.

- We will keep the exact location secret until we start gating people onto the ships

- The boats will be crowded therefore bring a lot of red potions or food to help you move through the crowd.

- if you show up on a thief or a red you will be treated as a threat. End of story.

- Do what you can to prevent going grey. If you do go grey and die accidentally, then I hope you have friends who will try to help you get back up.

- bring only gear you can tolerate losing.

- looting of monster corpses will be free for all, but note we will not gate you back once the mayhem has started.
    MikeK, newme, Lord Krake and 5 others like this.
  3. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Now looking forward to it.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  4. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Oh boy.
    newme likes this.
  5. Jupiter

I am in discussions now with the Long Oar Fishing Company to assist in this great cause!

The ever reclusive owner of this long standing, (albeit completely unknown company until now), reached out with concern that our current net is far too small. I expect they may be helping to double our current net size.

What this means is that we will be able to cover a greater span of reefs and save countless more lives!
  6. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Project Sanctuary will help with as many able bodied men and women as we can muster!

Is there a date, solid or tentative, for when this massive undertaking will occur?
  7. Jupiter

*****************UPDATE****************​

An extremely massive drove of serpents and giant tentacled creatures has been spotted making way for land! As we have tracked their current progression, our top oceanographers predict they will make landfall by Thursday 8/6 at between 7-8 PM EST.

We will stay on top of our sitings and inform the realm the exact landfall closer to Thursday. At this point, it is entirely possible that Zyler's trove of treasures for his fishing tournament could spontaneously erupt in flames and pixeled explosions. Given this remote, but entirely possible scenario, it is possible that all of the competitors in the tournament could simultaneously stop fishing and the fisheries of the land could recover thus lead these deadly creatures back to the deep. This is an extremely slim possibility, so we are continuing with our preparations to cast a giant net.

(Plan on Thursday 7-8 PM)
  8. Jupiter

***Note of confidence. I have been making inspections of the giant net and I can attest with full confidence that there is absolutely no possible way the net will break leading to hundreds of nautical creatures dashing our boats to pieces.

This. Will. Not. Happen. (probably).

Jupiter
    Gideon Jura, Vishakt, MikeK and 2 others like this.
  9. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Wispfelt and PVM Guild will donate aids and red potions. If any newer citizens wish to join in this chaotic venture whose incomes are lacking to furnish their own aids/potions, will have first dibs on these supplies.

Please pm Newme here, contact Marjo in game or PM Westra on irc.

Sounds like tons of fun.
    Gideon Jura, MikeK, Athena and 2 others like this.
  10. Jupiter

Our sources tell us that @Gideon Jura has depleted nearly every hatchery except a few close to Britain and Trinsic! We are not sure exactly where the ravenous horde of starving sea monsters will hit yet, but we are keeping a close eye.

Our council has strongly advised that we issue the following warning, (despite the fact that we feel this will be completely safe and has no chance of failure)

To those wishing to watch the net be cast into place, you are invited to congregate at Paws about 15 minutes prior to the event. We will load you onto the Life Boats in an orderly fashion to allow you to witness this historic event!

More to come

- Paws Event Staff
    Gideon Jura, newme and Alice Asteroid like this.
  11. Jupiter

ALERT TO ALL CONCERNED LAND DWELLERS

The course of the swell of giant sea creatures has continued in such a manner that we believe we know precisely where to lay the net to capture them.

Our plan to toss the extremely large and absolutely impervious barrier net will begin tonight starting at 7 PM EST. We are so confident in our net that we are inviting all interested parties to come observe as we put the net in place.

We have placed an observation pontoon from which you can merrily view our spectacular net! We do strongly urge observers who are concerned with their personal safety to only bring gear that they can tolerate losing. While it is practically impossible to conceive that anybody will be in danger of the sea creatures, it is possible that rogues and thieves might try to make their way onto the crowded pontoon.

Shipowners are invited to bring their own ships if they wish. We have blockaded the bay as a matter of precaution, which again I assure you is merely superfluous demonstration to show you how much we are concerned for your safety.

We ask that nobody attempt to swim to the pontoon as we are certain that none of you are GM Swimmers being that the skill doesn't exist in all of Sosaria. We will provide safe passage to the observation area from Paws in the Outline below.

Outline:

15-20 minutes prior to 7 PM EST, we invite any interested parties to congregate outside Paws tower (You should be able to find a rune in most rune libraries under Spirituality Shrine or Village of Paws player towns)

We will start boarding people onto the observation pontoon in an orderly fashion.
    - People with giant dragons will be asked to only enter through the gates that will be opened inside the stables.
    - Persons on foot with no tames will be asked to board from the grass area near the shrine

We ask that you do not bring horses, as they spook easily and could cause quite a bit of havoc. However, this is a request not a rule.

If you bring 'hirelings' we will allow you to board them as well from the grassy area, please notify Jupiter if you plan on bringing a large number of hirelings.

Safety/Guidelines:
    Once the location of our observation pontoon is made public, it is extremely possible that pirates who have been targeting the fishermen may turn their rudders towards us. We warn anybody who wishes to 'observe' on a red character not to do so. We will consider ALL red characters as intending to do harm and react accordingly should you come within range.

If you go GREY for any reason while on the pontoon, then I offer you my sincere condolences, I cannot control how dozens of your fellow citizens will react, but as the Grey color usually indicates nefarious or malicious activity, you will probably be questioned after your body is punished.

Disclaimer: VoP in now way guarantees the safety of any persons, pets, or sea creatures. In the event you suffer irreplaceable loss or irreversible damages, please submit any and all claims to Court of Justice P.O. Box 001 Empathy Abby Road. Located within the RoE area of Yew.
    Gideon Jura, Senzek and Zyler like this.
  12. Athena

Athena Active Member

Thank you all for joining us for this event!

It was a lot of fun and quite chaotic I think next time we will be a little slower on the nets and prepare an extra rescue boat or two! I hope everyone that came out had fun and if you lost anything extremely valuable please contact me and I will do my best to replace it. Other than that I hope the event was a good time for everyone and hopefully we will have some fun screenies posted soon!

Thank you all for your attendance! We will get those sea monsters back someday.
    Baltasar, Gideon Jura, Senzek and 2 others like this.
  13. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Thank you Athena and everybody else. I had a lot of fun in the chaos of it.
    Jupiter likes this.
  14. Senzek

Senzek Active Member

Still shaking the sea salt from my sandals. Great adventure. I'm looking forward to those screen shots.
    Gideon Jura and Jupiter like this.
  15. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Twas a toil................

[​IMG]

One of the attacks persisted.........
    There were many others.......

[​IMG]

I believe this was the 13th wave we endured. I must consider my sins given the tournaments toll on the peaceful citizens of the realm...
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  16. Jupiter

Here is what I was able to gather!

I hope everyone did have a fun time! I was distracted more than usual. I thought I had lucked out and put my daughter down for a nap.... she had other plans.

I wasn't able to get around to all the boats but it seems like we got over run rather quickly!

Thanks to @Long Oar Fishing Company for your assistance!

Thanks to Zyler, Enna, Icas, and Athena for helping to coordinate the boarding procedures!

As it turns out, the swell of sea creatures was closer than we had predicted. I can assure you this had nothing to do with the fact that our barrier net was made out of special fishing nets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Fuinacius

Fuinacius New Member

Really nice event! And hey... I'm in some of those screens \o/
    Thanks for the fun time, really. This makes me enjoy this server more everyday!!!
  18. Jupiter

Also, I was so confident this was going to be one of my safest events yet, that I filled the hatches with all kinds of goodies. It turns out nobody had time to check them! haha. I just unloaded all the hatches on the deck to let the stuff decay.

Some force weapons and alcohol on the decks if anybody wants them :)
  19. 1-1=0

1-1=0 Active Member

This was an excellent event. Would do again. Don't have time for a longer write-up, but the pictures should say it all for those that were not there. Also a shout out to my two fellow sailors on the ghost ship.
  20. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018