Simple guide to playing your Bard!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Tuneful, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Tuneful

Tuneful Well-Known Member

Ok firstly take what I say with a pinch of salt,i am no better than the rest of the bards out there
    Is some fantastic guides on how to train barding,so not going to cover that aside from touching on it slightly..

prov/disco buy to 30
    Train up to 72 at glow zoo
    Train from 72 to GM using a prov house and sailors(bear in mind sailors despawn after 24 hours so try and use freshly placed ones)
    You can manipulate what you train on using diff types of instruments,by that I mean if your a bit low for a area use a GM lute until you get a bit higher then swap to a Shop bought lute,and if going to high in skill use a opposing slayer....or you can just stick to shop bought instrument and move according to skill points...

Firstly I have seen a few new players not realising they could provoke more than 2 monsters at a time...This is where our skills make us so strong when is lots of things to provoke,and where often others fear to tread..

Also we can bend time and space with our provokes...Or at least provoke around walls/doors and diferent rooms..The two mobs your provoking don't need to have LoS of each other,you don't even need LoS of them at the same time.And nothing looks cooler!

I always try to bring up the bars before I prov...So if is 6 mobs I will work out there postions/decide who I want to pair off first(normally the closest 2 to me)...and within 3 moves all 6 will be fighting how and in the order you wanted them,and in full control of the area..If you don't plan it could take you 5-6 moves to get control of a area(not good)
    If there are say 3 Bloods you should peace one first then provoke(a few seconds after you peace you can prov..it takes ten seconds after a prov to do anything else)So with 3 bloods in 5 seconds you got the room under control(1 peaced and 2 fighting)then you can prov the peaced one onto one of the other bloods

Know what spawns in an area,Is it all the same type of mob/are some of the mobs stronger than the rest...Personaly I like to deal with critters that are the same(So Artic Ogre Lords/Dreads/ Elders/Lich Lords/Bloods/Dragons/Balrons/Shadow wyrms)
    I put them in that order coz I think that reflects there difficuly aswell

Mmm depending if I am alone or with others as bards our roles change
    So if I am with someone my job is to control things and keep things under control.Once under control you can use things like discord/peace to make things die in the order you want....you want it to look easy,we all like looking cool!

If I am alone My game style changes and I can enjoy take more risk...Tho I don't recommend taking risks when fighting balrons or Shadow wyrms,they deserve respect...
    But is nothing better then gathering 5 bloods on same screen and still being in control for the ultimate in having things under control
    So I will check where the 3 bloods are on the one side of the bridge(just a recon mission at this point(grab bars but don't pull)
    once I get a rough idea of there locations I will grab the two from the other side of the bridge.Leading them across the bridge and closer to the other 3...I will then prov the 2 I have been luring....then I want to lure the other 3 depending on the locations...My aim is to lure them to the other 2...peace one of the three(like I said above)Then prov the other two following me..Then can prov the peaced one...When playing with 5 bloods I want them to all die at the same time..When I play with just 3 bloods/mobs I want two alive and provoked as often as I can...

I mentioned about giving Balrons and Shadow Wyrms the respect they deserve Follow that advice because they can make you look very silly..Take risks here at your peril...
    Once I start on balrons/SWs I will always use a slayer instrument...I will keep my distance and peace one if I can do so without pulling another one,seconds after the peace I will discord it.I am forced now to wait 10 seconds after the discord for my next move(hence why not want to pull the 2nd while peacing/discording the first).then when I can I will try and prov,i could fail so still don't want to pull the 2nd one..So know your provoke ranges....Now of course you can take risks and try and hurry this process up,but we don't look cool when were running around in a panic!
    The hardest part is always entering and taking control of the area,the better you do that the more in control you are and the cooler you look!

I will finish off with some words about discord...It is a strong skill if used right...
    So if fighting 3 or more mobs the numbers will get things dead(2 onto 1),
    If I am Having some tomfoolery with balrons….after I take control of the room I want to keep it....So I will leave one discorded and let the other one beat down on it.When the discorded one gets to 20% HP left the undiscorded one will still have about 80% health left..At this point I want to discord the fuller one....then in the ten seconds I have to waitbefore I can peace the winner the loser dies.And I land a peace on the winner who is also discorded.And a few seconds after that peace I can provoke instantly if get a insta spawn....All the while keeping the room under control and looking cool!
    I used this method When my bard Killed a PoD…..I had to keep my distance to land a discord,the critter is so hard can take 10-15 tries to land a discord,So no point trying to peace it first(just keep your distance(is a long range to disco)but whatever you do don't Aggro,like I said earlier we dont look cool running around !
    Once I land a discord now I can peace the PoD...And postion myself to attempt to provoke the other Balron onto the now Discorded and peaced PoD.Again this can take a lot of tries,good thing tho is a failed prov means you can try again in about 4 seconds(not 10 second delay we get for a success)
    To kill the PoD I went thru about 5-6 balrons...but there master died in the end,all while I was looking cool!

Thanks to anyone who read all this,And I know for a lot of you its simplestuff,but if it helps one other bard to look cool I will be happy!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Seba, Raajaton, BlackEye and 3 others like this.
  2. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yes, good guide. Any newbish bard can extract some of the more advanced concepts here.

Once you grasp the concepts here, you might develop some even more professional tricks that arent covered here (yet). *tease*
  3. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Go on (please).
  4. Fiore

Fiore New Member

So you are running Music, Provo, Discord, and Peace --- what other skills do you use? Seems most builds either go with Provo or Peace, not both.