Smelting on/from a boat

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Wodan, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Aye aye mates,

Tis me, Macro Man Randy Savage !!!

I'm getting into boat mining - used to do that alot on OSI shards a long time ago.

One thing that was really annoying me was the difficulty of getting the ore off the boat.
    It's mostly a trial&error dragging the piles towards the coast. Just a waste of time due to the limitation of the view angle and other random factors.
    I spent some time on the UO:R Test Shard (great feature !!!) and couldn't manage to place a forge in a house in a way that you could smelt iron FROM the boat.
    No matter if you're standing on the boat, plank or shore - never worked.
    That would really make my life alot easiert though. Maybe someone here has a clue how I can get my boat-mining ore smelted without having to drag it off the boat.
    Or better yet - introduce a new type of craftable ship that comes with a small forge for on-site smelting.
    What do you think ?
    Kiryana likes this.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

the craftable mining ship... great idea imo.

mats double that of a large.
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Open gate, pick up ore, walk through gate, smelt, enjoy your ingots.

(this can be recorded in a macro and done with the pressing of one button. If you are gating from a safe zone [town] make sure to include the step that selects okay after the warning saying you are about to leave a safe zone).
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Better living through Magery!
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Has any one had the problem of trying to gate very heavy items from a "safe" zone to the wilds? I get a pop up that asks if I want to continue but I can't click it!
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Aye Jupiter, that's what Wise was saying.

Go to town and cast Gate to anywhere OUT of Guard Zone (thus prompting the 'hey, this goes out of GZ gump'). Record a macro of double-clicking the gate and clicking the Yes button on the gump. Right click the first step and convert it to clicking by type 'blue moongate'.

Set that to a hotkey and you're done. This is how people loot IDOCs so fast, amongst other things. Pick up your pile, hit the hotkey, rinse, repeat. :)
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Also if your macro gets stuck even with a short pause between actions you can simply run it again or even use "play from here" by right clicking the step that selects the 'yes' for the gump.
  8. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Hm didn't know about the gate trick. Is that era specific or did that work in general ?

Even though that does offer a solution, I still like the idea of a miner's ship.
    After all, my miner is the last char that will get enough magery for the gate spell ... :(
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Back in 1998/1999, there were some characters who managed to have movable forges that they could carry in their pack and, more commonly, drop on their ship for boat mining. These forges were deemed unbalanced, and deleted on sight.

Razor changes the equation on a lot of parts of this game, so who knows if such a thing would still be unbalanced in this day and age.

The gate trick, however, has been in existence since at least as far back as 1999. At that time, most players did not have UOAssist to activate moongates for themselves. So they'd make the gate, stand next to it, pick up the pile in the air, and then step through the gate with it. There was no Gump at the time to ask about venturing from in town to outside of town, so it was as simple as walking through the gate while holding the pile in the air (i.e. pick it up and go through the gate before you put it down).
  10. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Used this on a t2a replica shard and it worked just fine, even without razor, doing the walking thing works.

Only problem is if you are moving something really heavy you have to face the gate one step away otherwise any movement kills your entire stamina reserve. Then you lift the pile and take one step forward. With razor, it double clicks the gate for you while you are holding whatever you want to carry over.
  11. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

how are you mining from a boat
  12. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

It's pretty straighforward. You stand on a boat, click on an axe or a shovel and target a valid mining spot.

Seems there used to be some issues with targeting mountains from a boat but generally, boat mining has been around for ages.

Be aware that ore is not really safe on your boat from thieves. There used to be a safe spot for ore on large boats but I couldn't get a confirmation that this applies to UO:R as well.
  13. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

The gate macro works wonders, and with a gate scroll, you really don't need much magery.