Solution to unusued housing: ONLY homeowner's account can refresh

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SativaGreen, May 20, 2020.

1. Carl

Carl Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I own some of the properties mentioned in this thread. I have chosen over the years spend spoils of my gaming buying houses. I dont like to decorate them. I just like to own them. Why is my choice of play less important than yours? I spent many years accumulating them. Just because you cant have them something is inherently wrong?

There are large houses on the market all of the time. I just bought another Large Keep a few weeks ago.

Carl

Order of the Skull
  2. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

I think the issue would be if you are not actively playing the game, and are having friends refresh your buildings, i assume actively playing means at least within 6 months of Breaks you play for over a weeks time..
  3. Carl

Carl Active Member

Some of these properties are community projects. I have alot of money invested in properties that I dont technically own. How does a community resolve an issue like that example. 4 people have millions invested in a project that serves no purpose other than aesthetics. The list owner stops playing. What then?
  4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

If you’re still here then that’s fine. Unless you own all 47 properties then this obviously doesn’t concern you. These threads are all about endlessly refreshed houses by people who no longer play.
    Read. Think. Respond. In that order.
    MikeK likes this.
  5. Malachi

Malachi Member

I'm not seeing a shortage of houses. I occasionally see reports of people placing towers on open plots. I've forgotten to refresh smaller houses very close to town and the spot was still vacant when I checked a few days after collapse, though I'm sure the loot was picked through. If new players need a house, they will find many open plots and plenty of cheap houses for sale. Nobody is forced into homelessness or slumlord rule on UOR.

In any case, if adjustments are made to housing, then they shouldn't be retroactive. If account limits are necessary, then they should apply moving forward only. This will still result in old houses slowly disappearing due to circumstance, while preserving available land for the future.

Also, why not town houses? Designate a few and award players with 3 month leases should they dominate in PvP, events, etc. At the end of the term, they either fight to stay or they get kicked out with their items moved to their bank.
  6. Andrakus

Andrakus Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring you into this crap especially when you got all that crap going on. Hope you can get it all squared away and fast. Do you know who owns those properties? I admit I just ASSumed it was all actually KOS properties.I know when the groups of them refresh at times by themselves. It sounds like owners of all those props have been trolling all of us. Now that you mentioned it i know for sure many of them are on separate refresh timers. They're being refreshed by someone else for sure.

@FartBarf i don’t have any proof that this type of thing is detrimental to the server or player count and I've personally never claimed it to be a vitally important issue. I don't think most or any players actually NEED those larger houses... i think they just like the idea of them. Personally, I've only got 2 medium sized homes and 2 smaller ones. I’ve said it many times— the issue isn’t that small/medium houses are unavailable but that primarily larger homes not being able to be found or placed frustrates other players. I don't want, need or really desire anything but what i already have.

I was a bit surprised by the reaction that awaited Samorite who was just asking about the possibility of a land rush with the expansion coming up. I think its understandable if it seems that there are just tons of absent players and homes being endlessly refreshed because someone likes them. 15 homes is what you get. But by having someone else able to endlessly refresh houses on homes with the original owner long gone we are essentially giving them home ownership to these homes too. i see that as a potential long term problem. Yet, I don't see how proposing a land rush is even close to problematic... in fact the whole reaction he got seems odder the more i think about it.

complaint not enough spots for homes > Proposes possibility of adding more spots for homes > Reaction of current issue unaddressed > current issue is not enough spots for homes
    eherruh and FartBarf like this.
  7. Blacklow

Blacklow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I could get behind something of this nature rather than a "Land Expansion" of sorts. Though i would say raffling them off via HC, Plat, or make them an Anny Scav Hunt Deed Reward.

I could also get behind condemning houses after X months if the owner doesn't refresh them. (maybe give an appeals process for a guild owned property or community property and allow an active individual who is co-owned to take over ownership) Though i know those people who sunk big money into owning half a dozen of these large houses will be upset to see their value drop.
    Nusir likes this.
  8. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

I think that in this whole story with housing, in some cases, real payments through paypal may be involved, for example, these idiots are sitting on their pixels and they are sorry that a piece of crap they bought for real dollars can get someone for free.

Convicted housing + 1 house per account. If you do not play, you have the right to fuck your bank box without harming others.

I know who to contact to buy a fort at any moment and just buy it. But why ...

I always didn’t give a damn about new players who just whined ... I used to be new too, but I like playing UO and I like difficulties, that's why I play and have fun. If I see that a stable resident of a Sosaria is obtained from a new player, then I am happy for him and I know for sure that he also likes to play UO.

Play and don't swear!

j
    Xavant_BR, Sayer and SativaGreen like this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  10. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Hol up, we’re being trolled? And too stupid?

My dude no one put “Earsnot” on 47 unused houses around my home, filled them with deco and then refreshed them for years to troll me.

Have you ever contacted asked Chris to change the house names if they’re not connected to you?

Cause that’s the weirdest way to troll someone I’ve seen here.
    Pedigar, Poogoblin and Nusir like this.
  11. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

While it's somewhat sad to see these empty large homes that could be used for active players to use as they base or guilds to live in a cluster of houses together, it's the small 'blockers' placed at IDOC fights long pasted that I have been seeing that get to me!

I recently found one on dagger island that has the name sterling archer, this is one of the grudge blockers from lost IDOC fights refreshed by people who either no longer play here on UOR or a friend of theirs.

I play another game where if you are inactive as a guild master, the guild gets transferred onto the next most active player by rank, I do not know if such a thing would be possible in regards to home ownership whereby the owner hasn't been actively refreshing a property for xx months it's transferred to the next most active co owner and if no co owner is listed the property is condemned to IDOC.

Something like would help with these community projects mentioned and if the person responsible for refreshing already has a house it's tuff titties.

Given enough of an advanced warning the players will need to organise themselves with transfering their properties around to accommodate and then have a maximum of 15 houses.

This should also count for player run towns with rewards such as deco and stables, if no co owner is available and / or the guild is inactive, the main building should be rewarded to another guild to utilise for the better of UOR.

I think it's time to name fingers and point names.

http://uorforum.com/threads/wtb-blockers.48775/

Nusir
    MikeK likes this.
  12. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Ask around, I actually encourage people to do it after YEARS of people making these attacks. They first started doing it 4 years ago to the best of my knowledge. It's old news. I think I was just joking with someone the other day about naming their houses KoS, also. Whether they actually did it or not, I don't know. I just know that i've lost track of the people that have over the years. Moonglow Isle had a contingent of KoS houses for years, yet not a single one was from our guild, heh.

In regards to that map of @SativaGreen 's, I've already verified that 16 of them are not owned by KoS members and i'm sure I can find more. That map is entirely inaccurate.

As stated before, the irony is that these baseless attacks are literally coming again not 2 weeks after our group decided to let 4 houses fall because the owners are not playing anymore. 3 Yew Homes and 1 Snake's Pass home. You are welcome for the IDOC's, since that is all you actually care about. ;)

Yet, ya'll still say the complete opposite of the facts.
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  13. Lightshade

If they're still around and logging in, leave them alone. Let them play the game as they will within the rules that are here. Just because their priorities in the game conflict with yours does not make them the problem.
    fooka03 and Poogoblin like this.
  14. Lightshade

You are not a good and decent human being and have conducted yourself as such in countless threads on various topics. The fact that you are allowed to even post on these forums is an exercise in kindness.

Your words bear no reflection upon me. Your anger is misplaced. You do not know what you are talking about.

I cannot think of a single ACTUAL KoS property that is owned by someone that doesn't still play this game. If you are not happy with how they play the game, well, tough. It's their choice.

Get over YOURSELF and get on with life.
    Holden and eherruh like this.
  15. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

I’m not a good and decent human being because I don’t feel sorry for you while I listen to you playing your violin. Your house got flooded, that’s unfortunate. You have a house and you have insurance.

Suck it up.

You say I shouldn’t be allowed to post here because I hurt your feelings yet your argument for housing is the exact same. Pick a side you donkey. Don’t forget your water wings.
  16. Earsnot

How’s that stroke of genius working out for you now?

I’m always happy to admit when I’m wrong.
    If you’re saying that you’re not refreshing any ex players houses anymore. Cool, good, thanks for doing your part and do you know who it is that named any of those 47 houses just in Yew with your guilds name?

Could we help you track them down to change if so you don’t have this again?
    FartBarf likes this.
  17. Lightshade

At least 16 and as many as 21 of those houses on that "map" aren't owned by any KoS member.

And even if every single one was actually owned by someone that's still logging in, it doesn't matter.

You are mad about houses that you feel should be condemned.

Not a SINGLE one of those houses fits that description. NOT ONE.
  18. Lightshade

I think it's hilarious because the people that get worked up by it are the same people that constantly trash talk me, so I guess it's working out great.
  19. Earsnot

That’s productive.

Real talk though dude, aside from you and the dark one, are there any other KOS members active in game?
    MikeK likes this.
  20. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

With such an articulate forum name, I would expect nothing less.