Spell Topics:

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Faust, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Faust

Faust New Member

Would you please elaborate and show me one piece of 'non-era accurate' that was defended by me?

I have been one of the most profound era accuracy guru's over at UO Second Age defending it at any cost. UO Secon'd Age's model is based on my target date philosophy that I convinced Derrick to use back in '08. To sit there and make such a claim as you just did is pretty dumbfounding at the least. I don't see anything wrong with being open minded on a modification shard. There is very little room for being open minded on a shard such as UO Second Age where it's a strict hard line of era accuracy. UO Second Age is a 'gold standard' in my eye's to an extent. However, the target date would be my second most option of choice for running an era accurate shard. The first choice would be based on the entire era and progress the server in a looping cycle based on a day to day basis that changes from one era accurate mechanic to the next finally repeating itself when the cycle ends.

Welcome to the Faustollower fan club where the Faust Slots are Pre-Ren being completely unlimited on Faustollowers son.
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Your last post is clearly shifting from discussion of era accurate mechanics to shard advertising.

Since you are making a case for your position of influence and adviser to the staff on another free shard, out of respect we would appreciate if you didn't use our forum for public and constructive discussion to advertise your server.

The above post would have likely resulted in a forum ban on the server you speak of as they enforce a no advertisement policy, just as we do here.
  3. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Perhaps you should read this entire post? I have not backed up Faust at all. I simply quoted and agreed to his statement that Azeroth over at IPY should take a note.

Faust himself said that you should "not listen to the clamor of the month" if you want to be successful, thus making everything he posts or says irrelevant by his own standards.
  4. CrunkJuice-old

CrunkJuice-old New Member

Really? The recast delay? Bro....are you playing in PVP match in the Olympics that I didnt hear about? You are talking down to the .1 of a second.
  5. Faust

Faust New Member

I'm not advertising UOSA at all. I have mentioned this server, IPY, Revletion, Divinity, Rel Por, and a multitude of other servers over on UOSA's forums dozens upon doezens of times. If you don't think that is the case please feel free to run a search on their forums for any of the popular shards under my credentials. I'm good friends with Derrick and enjoy helping out servers that actually has a goal to reverse engineer the crappy RunUO software into the actual game mechanics of a particular era. I don't have to advertise any server and don't care about such a pitiful tactic for shard advertisement. That would be a complete waste of my time.

We all know that there is a huge slew of UOSA UOR players that have migrated over to trying this shard. Why in the world would I be preaching to the crier here? I would be mighty surprised if there is one person here that has not even heard about Second Age for god's sake. There is no need for me to advertise the shard.

I'm here for one reason and one reason only... to see if this shard will end up being anything like the UOR era and to possibly play it if this ends up being the case. I played the era very little and have many friends that have asked me to help them develop a shard for it even. That is something that I am never interested in and the only thing that would ever interest me in that area is possibly assistance just like I did with IPY, DFI:T2A, and UOSA.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

The only problem is that I have never partaken in a 'clamor of the month' discussion outside of an era accuracy point of view over there or anywhere for that matter making your response pretty irrelevant if you ask me.

How about we get back to discussing the topic by Faust Re: Spell Topics: » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am instead of the usual moronic diversions that typically happens on shard forums that always amounts to nothing but a waste of bandwidth?

Would be great to hear a response from Chris over the issue.
  6. Mad_Bob

Mad_Bob New Member

I think Faust is making some good points here. I don't care if the staff add some new house designs or BOD's or whatever but the mechanics of pvp are another thing entirely. There was a point in UO:R where pvp became fairly balanced. This was after they made harm range based, nerfed LJ bonus to 20% and raised small spell damage a little amongst other changes (I forget the publish number). It would be great to have accurate pvp to this era so that people who play for nostalgia can enjoy the same pvp they remember.

It would be good to have a clear statement from staff as to where pvp is going and what will be altered from UO:R. Things like alchemy bonus being in and GE pot timer being random worry me and are part of the reason I am currently hesitant about playing here. I don't want to pvp the way some other player thought pvp should have been, I want to pvp the way it actually was....
  7. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I know staff is going to be lowering the alchemy damage bonus, not sure any any specifics. Also in regards to the pot timer being random, it will be random on the 10ths of a second level. A player will not see a difference, but I believe their goal is to prevent people from running around with macros that use and throw the purple potions for them with no effort.
  8. Mad_Bob

Mad_Bob New Member

The point is that the alchemy bonus is a publish 16 feature geared to go along with powerscrolls that has no place in UO:R pvp. I can also see no real reason to add random timers on GE pots, they worked fine the way they were in era and allowed for a lot of very interesting pvp tactics.

Basically if the staff are gonna add pvp rules from other era's where will they draw the line and what reasoning goes behind this? Right now pvp rules seem to be a bit of a pick and mix rather than being UO:R and I have seen no firm statement of intent from staff.

Attention to detail over things like weapon & spell timers is very important to maintain an OSI like feel & it would be nice to know whether this shard is going to obtain that over time or whether it's basically a custom rules shard with a few UO:R rules.
  9. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Having something set in time permanent "the way it was" can cause problems, at no single point in UO was everything perfect. I think they will aim for the best possible set up had OSI focused more on pvp. I dont think of it as custom UOR, but improved UOR. If having variable timer on purple pots by .1 second is that dentrimental to your UOR experience... i dont know what else to say, other than it is full blown custom UO. :D