Stamina, Food, and What They Mean to YOU!

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Zim, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Back in the day, you used to lose stamina from running. It wasnt much, something to the tune of 1 stamina ever 20-30 steps, but it added up over a long run from say... brittain to trinsic. Not enough to discourage you from making long treks, but enough so yould have to stop and rest once along the way. I seem to remember that you lost stamina quicker if you were hungry, like one stamina every 10-20 steps.
    You also used to lose stamina when you took a hit for above a certain amount, im thinking 8-11+ damage. The bigger the hit you took, the more stamina you lost. I seem to recall it was something like a percentage of the hit was also lost as stamina. So little 5-10 damage hits would only drop your stamina by one point where big 30+ hits would drop your stamina by much more. I remember Ogrelords used to drop my stamina to 30% after only a few hits. Im pretty sure the stam lost was tied to hunger as well. If you were starving you would lose a lot of stamina every time you got hit.

I just remember eating food and hunger was a huge part of the game.

I do remember this to be the case from sometime in 1999 when I started playing, all the way till at LEAST Age of Shadows. I remember this clearly because one of the main reasons I was stoked about the Focus skill and Chivalry, was the stamina benefits. If you had a minimum of 60? focus i believe, you would regain the stamina loss from running pretty much instantly. Also, over the course of a long melee battle with a monster you could go "Hoo Wah" and regain your stamina without eating food or chugging a red potion. This meant that on Siege where I played, I didnt have to hunt cows and burn through 100's of steaks to get a few that I could eat.

I think we should bring this back.

I dont think Ive played a player run shard that had stamina act as it did on the live servers. It might actually be impossible within the RunUO system, or just be ridiculously complicated to code. If thats the case then I understand.
    If that is not the case however, then I believe that this will be a HUGE improvement to the game in general. It will add a touch of realism and provide a much more immersive environment to interact in.

It will add a small, but significant and positive change to both PvP and PvM. Stamina and hunger management will actually be a thing. Youll have to remember to stay full while fighting to minimize the amount of stamina you lose while taking hits, and to keep your swing speed at its maximum. There will actually be a NEED to bring food and red potions with you on long adventures. Taking food with on your journey will be important to help you to stay strong and to not get fatigued while fighting.

It will create and actual market for food and everything that comes with it. Crafters and vendors will be able to sell food. Sure the market is absolutely FLOODED right now because food serves no purpose whatsoever. It shouldnt take long though once people start eating for the hundreds of thousands of fish steaks to get snarfed. New players would also be able to sell meat to cooks to make a tiny bit of startup cash as well, in addition to the staple of cloth farming.
    Players might actually find a need to train TasteID to see if the food they bought was poisoned or not. I for one advocate the return of the DP cakes in the street. ;)

Its also Era Accurate.

This shard is truly one of the best there is when it comes to UO:R era gameplay. If this is possible it would be the first shard (if not the only one) to have this reminiscent feature. While I understand making games more "arcade style" by removing some of the features that make it clunky and streamlining the process of playing, making it more user friendly to the more casual user. I believe that the reason we STILL play this fucking 20 year old game is because its one of the most immersive games ever with the most wonderful world that in many ways, mirrors our own.
    Implementing the hunger and stamina loss system will forever make this shard the most era accurate and best UO:R shards out there.
    Soulmate, Kishember, Nerull and 3 others like this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Good read. Good points. Honest approach to an objective of adding some 'reality' to the gaming mechanics.

Buy agent
    add item lesser refresh potion
    set amount 20

new macro, "*YARLY"
    use like item lesser refresh potion

hotkey it

I'm of the opinion that further attempts to bring "food and drink" as meaningful items in the game will actually pull away from the era accuracy some are striving for.
  3. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Thats part of the point. You buy refresh pots.

*BOOM* Fighting inflation

Gold sink and redistributes wealth.
    Plus immersive players get their fix! ;)
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think it might have actually been the case that you gain it back more quickly if you were well-fed (which I think we have here, for stamina and HP regen).
  5. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Did you just initially disagree with me then cosign my point at the end?
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

So you did, you just don't realize it.
    I'm not one of those "some" people... the OP uses it as a driving point, not me.

"""
    Designed and operated by passionate PvM and PvP experienced staff, that do not play here, this recreation aims to perfect what we all loved about Ultima Online before its decline. A highly immersive game with seemingly limitless possibilities coupled with risk vs reward, this world is what the players make of it. Offering an extensive crafting system with the best free shard economy, PvP mechanics with more templates than you'll have the time for and PvM with more challenge and data than ever before. This is the shard to play on if you want to truly enjoy Ultima Online. """

If it was patched to where I had to chug lesser refresh pots every x seconds just to function, I'd question the vision of the host and swiftly depart before subjecting myself to any further ---- expletive / deleted ---- ideas.

Furthermore, were refresh potions circumnavigated thus forcing me to "eat and drink" regularly, I'd facepalm so hard I'd take my own damn head clean off.

9. One

One Well-Known Member

wylwrk likes this.
  10. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

It's funny, until I played UOR I was still believing in the conspiracy theory that being hungry negatively effected skillgain, combat accuracy, and casting spells :D
    Vlar likes this.
  11. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

In Turkish shards, it would kill you (until they changed in early 2000's). You would get an english message saying you have to run and find food to survive, that showed 5 times in 15 seconds and if you didn't eat, bang monochrome.

It affected everything just like post above.
  12. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

That would be awesome actually. It would create a market for food like fishsteaks and such. People would actually have to stock up on food for long dungeon trips or wherever, so they don't croak due to severe hunger.
    Soulmate and One like this.
  13. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Fishing was the most lucerative skill in those shards (along with inscription, a resurecction scroll sold for 200 gp each - god knows why-), because not only players bought them in chunks, you could sell them to NPC vendors too for 5gp per.
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

Xegugg likes this.
  15. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Honestly, I dont really think this would impact the game in such a huge way. You would have to bring food, and chug a few extra red potions.

You already need to bring potions, trapped pouches, armor, weapons, regs, bandages, food....
  16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I'll always believe fish steaks make me fizzle less/gain skill better. YOU'LL NEVER TELL ME OTHERWISE! *shakes cane in anger*
  17. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Very strictly speaking, this is not true at all. Perhaps the word you were looking for was "adapt."
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

19. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

It isn't bogus. Death is a change. Please to be explaining how something dies without changing. Something can not adapt without changing, but not all changes are adaptions. If that were the case, then what is the deal with all these extraneous words:

"to change something to suit different conditions or uses."
  20. One

One Well-Known Member