Stat loss - Extending decay rate

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SteelyDan, Jul 20, 2016.

1. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before but I would like to see an extended decay rate for short counts.

8hrs in my opinion is way too short. With people constantly keeping accounts on over night, burning shorts is a joke.

If you want to kill innocents all day there should be stiffer penalties.

I propose Increasing shorts from 8hrs to 40hrs. pks should have to take stat loss and work characters. The only pk I know of here who did that here was PFR.

There are other avenues for pvp. Order/chaos, factions, warring guilds.

Bring real pks back to UOR!

The days of pks running around like cowboys are over.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Jean-Pierre, Lyta, newme and 3 others like this.
  3. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

I miss the days of PFR... True PK, one man on the hunt.
    newme, Tyndall and One like this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    newme and Valrick like this.
  5. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

I usually give returners a week or two before I officially brand them BACK but yes much excitement!
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  6. Meradin

Meradin Well-Known Member

The fact that there is stat loss at all sucks. Down with this idea, and with your idea of what a PK is or should be. This is a sandbox game.
    The penalty of most people hating you and even refusing to do business with you is harsh enough. Let the community police itself.
    Mirr Maz likes this.
  7. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Statloss was created to limit the red population. At this time in UOR there are too many of them out there and no incentive or way to slow them down.

Increasing the short term count decay rate from 8hrs to 40hrs would be a simple solution.
    newme, Iago and One like this.
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I agree it is a sandbox game where everyone can do whatever the hell they want. Stat loss was created as a consecuence of the ultimate criminal action: murder. Let's not forget the game was created under the Ultima frame, where "Virtues" were paramount. Murder defies the virtues, and must have a consecuence. Stat loss was it.

How much is too much or too little? THAT is the real question here. Back in 1997 8hrs logged in was A HELL OF A LOT!! (IF you could accomplish it even, with unsteady 14.4k dial-ups AND tying up a phone line at your parent's). Now 8hrs doesn't seem like much with stable connections, 3 FREE accounts, etc. Plus if we factor in the ease of training up skills with Razor asisted AFK macroing...I just don't get why people would not just take stat loss and train up their chars again overnight.
    Canis, newme, Caska VS Trees and 6 others like this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I agree with an increase in count burn time. 8 hour shorts are practically irrelevant with 3x accounts.

There's no reason to ever remove stat loss until or unless there is an actual tangible punishment for murderers who are 'caught' by the good citizens of Britannia.

People hating you and not wanting to do business with you is very rarely tied to being a murderer.
    Canis, Taliic, One and 1 other person like this.
  10. Meradin

Is this something you have come away with after spending time as a Notorious PK or PK guild?
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No, it's something I've witnessed with people who have been murdering here since Beta and still do business regularly and fairly. I've actually done a great deal of business with people I want nothing to do with in game or otherwise, because that's just business.

If you're doing it so "well" that you're getting yourself blacklisted, I guess more power to ya? Point being really is that how you are treated by players is still not even remotely fair or just "punishment" for a life of criminal actions against others. If you want to murder with impunity, this isn't the shard where it's going to happen. If you want to treat people negatively (murder), there are some consequences, which is good, but I feel they are too easy to overcome with the present account limits and short term count timers.

To be perfectly clear, you sound like one of the TT parrots chirping about "you don't pvp" whenever I have discussions about anything pvp related. Cheers.
    Keystone likes this.
  12. Meradin

If a man is talking about the pains of child birth, I think its only fair to ask if he was ever a woman. If I seem to be parroting someone, perhaps its because you make a lot of comments to which a rational person would ask, does this guy even know what the fuck he's talking about?
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The simple answer is yes and if your only reply is to question whether I know what I'm talking about, you clearly do not.

Thanks for your input though on this topic. It is much appreciated, despite lacking anything significantly relevant to the conversation.

Also, to be quite clear, I have had a PK guild and still have my PK. I have murdered people and oddly enough, it has not ruined any business deals or caused any significant problems with players. Though I am always public about my characters and activities (all public profiles), so there's that maybe. I also don't usually loot at all and tend to just lol and run off.
  14. Meradin

If you consider yourself a PK, than I'm a tramy rares vendor.
  15. Meradin

The problem is not short term counts. The problem is tracking, and the ability to clear the entire farming map with 3 guys in 10 minutes.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I consider myself a player of Ultima Online and murdering is something I do on occasion. If you define yourself by a single action in the game, I feel sad that maybe you're missing the bigger picture. Still, ultimately a completely useless response here that has nothing to do with the topic at hand other than you beating your chest in some manner to feel like a "real PK" while those who do it occasionally are not PKs. Cheers and have fun with that.

As for the Tracking problem, yes that is also a problem. The fact that people can perform negative acts on players (murdering, dry looting and bailing before anyone can enact justice) is why there needs to be statloss. Combined with the fact that you can earn platinum for burning those counts while you murder on alts, compounds the problem.

I do understand that many people prefer to not have punishment for criminal or negative actions against others. I just don't agree.
  17. Meradin

It's not chest beating. Here you claim people hating you is not relevant to being a PK, I am making the point, successfully I might add that maybe you are not the end all be all of opinions here. Seeing how as you are not and have never been a True to heart PK.

Once again you are attempting to dictate the value of how I define myself in a sandbox game. i.e a person considering themselves a PK only is somehow lower or a less important part of this game.

No one here is taking into account the multitudes of problems this could create, I doubt many of you have been harassed by worthless blue chars attempting to count you over and over, but I have. I doubt many of you here have had your house camped by 65% of the PvPers here for a month straight, but I have. So asking you if you have any experience with the real issues at hand is not only relevant but paramount to your opinion being worth anything.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  18. Meradin

If I wasn't such a true to form PK, I would start an Anti-PK guild and show you how MEN solve their problems.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I never said that people hating you is not relevant to being a PK, I said it's not a viable punishment for the crimes. I also never said I'm the end all be all, because we're having a discussion. If you'll bear with me, I'll do some research on what a "True to heart PK" is and get back to you with a potentially revised opinion.

I never said you were of lesser value for what you choose to do. I have always advocated PKs and in fact I play this era because of their inclusion.

I've been camped, I've been harassed and I see none of this as relevant to the topic at hand. These things happen to oranges and blues alike depending on whose feathers they ruffled. The topic at hand is punishment for murdering that is better aligned with the amount of accounts we are allowed.

I feel that an increased timer for short counts would be appropriate and would also think that any "True to heart PK" would be in favor of the change because murdering in stat is what makes a real murderer. Is it not?
  20. Meradin

Stat Loss is lame, and it is the beginning of what killed this game, Trammel. Any steps further in this direction is wrong. IMO
    Controlling player's actions through game code should be a last resort, and saved only for things that are detrimental to the server.
    How is this detrimental to the server? The server has steadily been growing for 3+ years, and shows no signs of slowing.
    Tyndall likes this.