Stat-loss Suggestion

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by El Horno, Jan 1, 2015.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey folks I had a little idea to make stat-loss a little more meaningful. Short and sweet:

Murder counts should not decay while the murderer is dead.

Discuss.
    Jupiter, One and newme like this.
  2. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

So that is really trying to do away with the whole murdering system? PKs are not invincible and if they have 5 or more short term counts they will go into stat loss if they die and become ressed. They will have no option but to res and lose skill. Let them stay dead if they chose and wait out their timer. Leave it how it is or do away with stat loss..
    ebola and AnRobot- like this.
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

If the red population gets out of control, tougher penalties could be a solution. But I don't think we're there yet. Vote no for now.
    Blaise likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob Member

The bigger problem is that 99% of the reds here fight like bitches. And Telamon can't patch that.
  5. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I think it's a very heavy handed penalty. A PK with 5 shorts would have to rez and re-work skills..

I think the answer, for now, is to educate people into understanding that giving counts is necessary. I think some people hold the mindset that giving a count is what the PK really wants so they'll deny them the satisfaction. Giving counts every time and actually placing a worthy bounty may stimulate some PK hunting.
  6. Bob

Bob Member

Some red groups won't res newbies unless they get a murder count.
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I would disagree. Most the PK's that I've seen out recently have been solo. Ebola, Crooks, Brainless are some of the names that come to mind immediately.

The problem (problem for some) is that someone like Ebola has multiple PKs. You can kill one of them and he's back at it with a 2nd or 3rd literally minutes later.
  8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing counts with bounty.
  9. Bob

Bob Member

Well. I know about the bounty thing too. What I've seen on my picker is that sometimes a group of reds won't res a guy unless they get reported for a murder. They don't really care about stat loss, they just want their long term murder count number to go up.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Being able to keep three reds logged in makes the length of a murder count much less painful. One of the pitfalls of allowing three accounts I suppose. It seems like a fair concession to make murder counts take three times as long to burn. But I'm always in stat and if I die I just res and rework skills so it's easy for me to say this. If being red was so risky it was only for the hardcore that would be cool with me.
  11. El Horno

I suppose my suggestion is an attempt to work around the 3 account issue. The problem as I see it is:
    Your average pk who dies in stat does not sweat it at all, they just go put their ghost somewhere useful, collect plat while they burn off their shorts, and play their other 2 pks. This suggestion would mean they would probably be pretty bummed to die in stat. Mes's suggestion of simply increasing the time it takes to burn off shorts seems like it would also solve the same problem, while being less heavy handed. Maybe mes's suggestion in conjunction with not being able to earn plat while a ghost?
    AnRobot- and Jupiter like this.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

My first thought was to triple the decay time as well. But you're basically encouraging people who just have 1 red to move to 3 reds at that point (or maybe most already do I guess, I dunno).

Obviously the steeper you make the stat loss penalty, the more effort the reds are going to put into not taking it. So guys like Axiom and Ebola, who are usually out alone, will begin finding some folks to run with, so as to reduce their risk of taking stat loss. And that generally makes for a more frustrating experience for the victims, as they have less chance to escape, feel like they were ganged up upon, etc.

On the plus side though, I really haven't spent any time hunting reds because virtually none of them are in stat. So you kill them and they just gate back to their house with an alt, res, and are back in dungeons 10 minutes later. There's no difference between the guy who's killed 200 people over the course of a couple months, and the blue who's just being annoying in dungeons looting your elder gazer kills or stealing your mandrake root. So maybe making the penalty steeper would encourage people to put more effort into bringing them to justice.
    Basoosh likes this.
  13. El Horno

This is so true. This holiday event, thanks to the IRC bounty announcements, I watched those packs of PKS kill SOOO many people hunting elves. Then occasionally you would get a message that "they had been brought to justice". I would think Oooo boy I bet that pk was deep in stat, only to check the myuor page and discover they had like 0 shorts.
  14. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a red burn shorts slower while alive than while dead.

For example shorts burn at a rate of 1 per 20 hours while alive and stay the normal rate of 1 per 8 while dead. You'll have less reds running around with 0 shorts but it's not a heavy hammer when/if they die. I guess a red at 6 or less shorts could also kill themselves every night and burn counts while they sleep, but I see that as a small group of pk's.
    Basoosh likes this.
  15. El Horno

Good catch on that, and ya most certainly it would be abused where if you got too deep in stat you would almost seek death just to burn them off quicker. Perhaps just a flat 16-20 hours per short, regardless of whether or not they are alive or dead.
  16. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the cap on the % lost when taking stat raised from 15 to 20 or even 30%. I play a pk, but I'm one of the few who enjoys a heavy penalty system, and I think it makes pk's more unique. Hopefully, it would weed out some of the retards who suck at it.

The arguement was made that it would just force pk's to start running together instead of a bunch of solo artists running around all damn day. Imo if that were the case then you might actually reduce the day long pk runs if pk's are forced to wait for their partner(s) to log on. The way it is now you see solo pks running dungeons from early AM to late PM. At least this way they may be forced to wait for help which in turn gives pvmers a bigger window to farm. TBH, pk's running in large squads is nothing new that's how it has always been.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind having the timer for burning shorts doubled from 8 to 16 hours per short for reds, but I highly doubt that will win favor with the general consensus of the player base.
    Jupiter and Jack of Shadows like this.
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

To make it more of a hardcore mode for reds, they should have their character be sent to prison for 30/60/90 days, after 90 the character gets deleted.
    One and Jack of Shadows like this.
  18. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Screw it..if you're red, and you die, your char gets auto deleted. Just like RL son.
    Jupiter, Jack of Shadows and Kane like this.
  19. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

That's hardcore
    Rolander likes this.
  20. The hound

The hound Active Member

Be cool if there was a way to induce more penalties for being a prick like maybe it doesn't count if they don't loot the guy. I like risk vs reward. Reward them for not looting some newbies regs and weapon. If they dry loot someone they deserve a penalty.

This would increase the friendly pvp without making a bunch of asshat running around killing defenseless pvm and crafter guys.

Edit: I love the idea of MORE pvp.. even if it's just gankers dropping in. I love it when I get pkd and the guy resses me and leaves my stuff alone. If I know a guy is going to leave my stuff I'll give him a fight next time otherwise it's instant recall for u buddy.