Stealing, big deal?

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by TreeHugger, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Stealing does not benefit pve why would it ever get fixed come on now be realistic
  2. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

I was just trying to come up with a way to make stealing better with the use of support skills. I really don't have a thief or plan on making room for one until the CuB is implemented and we can use copper coins to buy extra slots. On a side note, I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Dimensions lately and I've always thought it was cool to once and a while roll a thief and steal stuff from monsters. I never put much effort into it on the Ultima side of things but from reading the stories posted in the tavern section I can see why people like it so much. It's because it's real people and real emotions at play so the rp value is something to be cherished. If chances/accuracy of stealing can be tweaked by having support skills then that also brings the caveat that templates must shuffle skill points to allow for those better chances/accuracy.
  3. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

That's literally the point of protests, to become increasingly disruptive until the matter is resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. The masses hate protesters because they're complacent in their daily lives.

I'm all for bringing this up repeatedly despite @Chris's objections about it. If he says no and everybody who disagrees but vehemently believes in it lets it go or it's never brought up again, when the sheep masses change or have other ideas, he's said no so why bring it up? It's a broken, era inaccurate system that's the result of bad implementation and massive complaints due to the poor implementation, not because it's a bad idea.

It's not fair to people who play thieves and they want resolution. Others not wanting to hear about it can easily steer clear of topics related to the Stealing skill on this here forum.
  4. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Untrue. I failed to steal 1gp at gm stealing and 100 dex and strength. True story. Also OSI realized their mistake in having a delay in stealth after a successful hide, and fixed it. The delay in stealth makes it useless if you're trying to run away from someone.
  5. khaleesi1

khaleesi1 Member

The whole point is stealing in town is to troll others. Trolling others is not looked upon favorably by the staff and the general population here. Yes, there are many people who have thieves and some of them voice their opinions quite loudly here on the forums.
    I do appreciate that thieves have a place in UO and it's fine to an extent but asking for a 100 percent chance of stealing w no risk in town is asking too much imo. The game doesn't have an auto log off. People stand in town and afk. Devs feel this is an acceptable use of the server and want towns to be relatively safe so players don't afk (RL emergency or whatever) and come back to being cleaned out of regs or gold or whatever because they got trolled by a GM thief while afk).
    If you, as a thief, want to gank a plat or five, it's fine and there should be some risk w it. Otherwise you can just steal one at a time w no chance of being caught in safe zones ...
  6. Cheapsuit

Says who? When I steal it's for a "comeup", regardless of the location. There's also a flip side to that coin... one could say Occlo's detective is trolling thieves by killing them. I personally don't feel trolled by it, I'm just saying. Also, if gold or plat is stacked, a thief can't choose to steal only one.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  7. khaleesi1

khaleesi1 Member

what is this "comeup" you speak of? You take it upon yourself to dole out punishment (and some level of unhappiness) by doing actions that would make them upset once they find out they have been cleaned out (or their valuable item has been stolen in town? Towns are safe zones. If you want to steal, steal from people in the field, in places where most would fight back. Most town stealing happens w/ afk chars or people who arent paying attention (again mostly afk). Thats low hanging fruit and frankly shouldnt be encouraged just like repeated PK town griefing is no longer encouraged.
  8. Cheapsuit

Players wanting safety is how you and I ended up here on this server. Trammel was implemented, and here we are, as a result of that.