Suggestion: Forged Pardon (Short Term Removal)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SativaGreen, May 19, 2019.

1. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

For reference:
    - Each short term murder count takes 8 hours to burn off
    - With 5 short term murder counts, if the player dies they will permanently lose skills upon resurrection, unless under 5 short term counts.

Suggestion:

Give Murderers an option to purchase back their short term counts through the use of a "Forged Pardon" (from OSI t-maps).

How, where, and how often these drop could offer PvMers a lucrative option to sell back the counts they dish out while allowing Murderers an option to buy their counts off.

One caveat I would suggest:
    • Do not allow these to be used as a ghost. Short term counts can only be cleared while alive, either before or after their Murdering spree. Thus, if they die while over 5 short term counts, they would need to AFK ghost until under the stat-loss limit of 5.

https://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=gameitem&id=3196&cat=3189

upload_2019-5-19_14-19-42.png
  2. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Since you've been killing PvM'ers on your blue, now you think it's a good idea to help remove counts. I already get bothered enough, but let's give PKs incentive to go kill PvM'ers so they can remove the count they just got from killing said PvM'er.
  3. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

If anything, short term counts need to be raised to maybe half of long term (20 hours) since its not a big deal at all to take short terms and macro them off while your sleeping or at work. Back in the osi days you couldn't just sit and burn counts easily otherwise your mom would get pissed at you for tying up the phone line lol. It's too easy to burn counts now so there's no incentive for killing pk's.....but this whole discussion sounds vaguely familiar haha
  4. SativaGreen

Nothing really related to me or my playstyle. This was implemented to curb the need of having so many characters on production severs. If they were implemented, I would look to sell them, not use them.

Yeah, definitely get that. This wouldn't reduce incentive to PK without putting a cost to them. Right now, isn't giving a short term count useless if they are just gonna macro it off, anyways? If this item was implemented, now you could sell that short term back for 200k.

With that said, if STMC were upwards towards 20 hours, would you be in favor of having a "rare" in-game item available to remove them? Where's the line?
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  5. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I agree with Paddy, counts here aren't an issue as we have 3 accounts, leave one burning counts/earning acct plat while you go and rack up some more on account 2 or 3 or just do a @merlin8666 and throw caution to the wind, say fuck counts and carry on killing anyway.

If you end up with 3 dead, stat loss ghost lurkers then so be it.

I'd be concerned that implementing something like this would make the existing bounty system and risk/reward set up a joke.

Even if you made them a mil each no one would sweat it. That's an afternoon tripple boxing.

Not pissing on chips, just my opinion.
    One, PaddyOBrien and SativaGreen like this.
  6. SativaGreen

True to all that. Bounty system needs more attention and maybe with incentives built into that for both sides.

Like inside the bounty system, there could be a reward like killing 10 players in a row = - 1 short term count. Something under that affect where STMC are not stifled by in-game gold.
  7. Earsnot

Killing 10 players would put you up 10 shorts and longs, minus your reward of one less short.

So 9 shorts 1 long.

That would get hella confusing, and what constitutes as "in a row" ya know?

I dig your deal dude, FWIW, I'm a big fan of discussing and hypothesising anything to do with UOR.

An engaged community is ultimately a positive community and I think incentivising any sort of in game activity with a reward is a winner, but I don't think fucking with longs and shorts is what PK'ing needs. Additionally anything that potentially adds to the RP roots of this game is way more likely to tickle Chris' fancy.

What about an organ collector like the zoo keeper, lurks in the bowels of a dungeon and gives you a scroll of body parts to bring him like 15 different hearts, 30 heads, 10 legs etc etc and rewards it's completion with a get out of jail free card for one stat loss free Rez?
    Miami and SativaGreen like this.
  8. SativaGreen

Thanks man I appreciate it. Just messing around with ideas and some of the existing OSI items and seeing how they work here. Never expect anything to come of this type of stuff other than discussion. I enjoy gauging other's game philosophy and the balance of risk v reward paired with the notoriety system. So much depth.

___

And enough organs donated summons a boss?
  9. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

PorkFriedRice is randomly spawned in a dungeon.
    PaddyOBrien, One, SativaGreen and 2 others like this.
  10. Earsnot

Sold.
    Where do I sign up?
    SativaGreen likes this.
  11. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

In regards to my non-helpful comment earlier, I think stat loss is entirely a stupid idea, period. I can't remember one time on OSI when I ever thought taking stat loss would be worth it so I could come back to life. It's simply a cheap shot to deter PKs. I see it as a blunder from OSI, and something we accepted as it was the norm. An off the top of my head idea would be to have an ~8 hour burn time after you die when you're red. Regardless of shorts or longs. A cooldown period before you are brought back to life. Perhaps add a gold sink to it or a farmed item. "A cursed resurrection scroll," that allows a red to be ressed during the 8 hour time frame. Or sell it on the rewards vendor for 100k a pop.
    Earsnot and SativaGreen like this.
  12. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

Another idea: Make red ghosts so they cannot enter a private moongate while in the lost lands and put a red only shrine in/at Khaldun, so they're forced to hoof it to Khaldun for a res. Lmao. That would suck.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  14. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

For some reason I thought it capped at 66.6 or 33.3. Been a long time.
  15. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

yes you do, you very much do
    One likes this.
  16. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

Pulled from an old Stratics article.

What are the penalties for being a Murderer?
    • Guards kill Murderers on sight.
    • A Bounty is generated when you become a Murderer.
    • Vendors will charge Murderers 5 times more for their service (murderers have to pay them to be "dirty").
    • Every time a Murderer dies he will suffer stat loss (str/int/dex and skills) exponentially based on his Murder Count. Keep in mind that a murderer's death does not reset the penalty. So if you die and lose 10% and die again immediately, you'll lose another 10%. Also, stat loss is cumulative with any other stat loss. Thus Resurrecting with Penalties will result in both stat loss from the Resurrection and stat loss for being a Murderer.
    • Murderers cannot insta-log from houses.
    • The amount of statloss varies from 9% (5 murders) to 20% (20 or more murders)
    One likes this.