Suggestion: Round Based PvP to compliment CTF

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by 1-1=0, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I promise I dislike agreeing with Punt just as much as he dislikes agreeing with me...

BUT... based on my observations he is right.

The data is just not there to support the fact that "field PVPers" get pumped after joining these events and hit the field afterwards.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

He's not entirely correct. He's exaggerating to suit his opinion about it. The fact that I have actually done this specifically with several other pvpers on this shard, is proof enough that it's not just black or white. In fact, I'd go so far as to recall when I have done this WITH punt and the other SL folks. Does it happen every time? Definitely not.

While SL really enjoys the argument that I don't PvP, as one of the few who actually do with a public kill/death history on my characters, the data IS there to support the fact that field pvpers do in fact pvp before, during and after CTF. Feel free to take Ian Blackthorn for a quick example, however feeble. It's been a while since I've been interested in giving up the fights SL wants so bad, but you can see quite clearly on April 15th, we were factioning, then hit CTF, then factioned some more. I have kills and deaths starting around 10pm and wrapping up around 2:30 in the morning on the 16th.

So no, it's not always hoppin in the field after CTFs but CTFs don't create some vortex of apathy where no one wants to play anymore when they're over. Perhaps the lack of oranges you find in the field after CTF has more to do with yourselves than the existence of a half an hour event.

I'd be willing to bet that more people break into the field PvP world after getting comfortable in combat within the confines of events. Being able to practice combat skills without 15 minute breaks every death and players res-killing you, killing your mount and telling you you're bad, is actually appealing to a lot of people. If you don't understand why....I just don't know what to say. With any luck, players will progress from their first kills in the arenas to risking it all in the field and if they find good fights, they'll come for more. If they find themselves subjected to people who's goal is to dissuade competition rather than encourage and develop it, they'll probably stick to where it's just fun. I started really fighting other people instead of just dying, in events. The field is the best rush and the best times when the fights are good (not easy wins) but the barrier to entry and requirements to get to that level of fielding is no small hurdle for the uninitiated.
  3. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

The amount of times people that start fighting after a CTF because they are all amped up, is so close to zero it may as well be zero. I mean you had to use an example from 4 fucking months ago lol. You just don't want to admit you're wrong.