Suggestion to refresh factions and provide incentive to PvP.

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Cynic, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

There was once a script that would read what the site said about who has the sigils and report it to a channel when it changed. It hasn't worked in months and Cynic knows this. I fought against this script when I was in TB and never had any difficulties beating it. All you have to do is keep tabs on the sigils like you're supposed to anyways.

In any case, it's been 3-6 months since the website reported the info that it needed and it hasn't worked in that time. Cynic is just bullshitting at this point.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Great, I'd love to see who you've killed, turn on your kill log on Roland. I don't doubt you, at this point I'm just highly interested.

The point I was making was that I wasn't trying to insult you until you started taking jabs at me. I'm far from a great pvper but that doesn't mean I'm not passionate about pvp and passionate about how to get the ball rolling again. I seem to remember actually complimenting you in my last thread too. I'm not here to shit all over you or your team by being a board warrior.. You're a great pvper, i'll give you that.

Agree to disagree.

I guess it must've been months since napo has been in your irc channel then, huh? And no, I don't know that you're bot was/has been disabled, I was advised of it's active use within the last month though. Honestly I didn't have a problem with the bot until Telamon took down the webpage it was grabbing it's information from and the bot was still running without a hiccup. Within the last month I reported to Telamon that an old bookmark I had was still reporting sigil status and he disabled that specific page. Whether this last action by Telamon is what finally broke the bot is unknown to me.

I see it differently and both yours and my views are a matter of opinion. I see the addition of, for example, platinum as an addition that may bring new faces into factions. Maybe they'll start off as thieves, maybe guarding bases with their tamers, who cares it's just more people in factions.

Take it easy, chief. I'm not on here calling you names or any of that, there's no need for that, you can be pissed off at me and civil at the same time, I thought more highly of you than that. I have nothing to gain by coming on here to lie about anything. Realize that this thread started with my attempt at a discussion on how to change things up.. down the line it's gotten ugly because you just don't agree with my suggestions. You and your friends take jabs at me and I swing back.

Can't you just knock it off and get back to having a civil debate on how to improve factions?
    How about we both let it go and just agree not to respond with "omg you are a part time pvper who cares what you say"
  3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Being a new player to the faction scene I would have to agree that it isn't as much a question of incentive, but more of player mentality. No one is just out running around on their faction character alone for fear of being ganked, which certainly does happen no matter what faction you're in. And even when both sides have decent numbers no one moves until they feel they havethe upper hand. I'm not saying that this is wrong considering no one likes to lose and that's understandable, but no amount of intervention will change that. I really feel like pvp itself is the incentive for factions, if players want to pvp they'll join up, I don't think anyone expects to make a living in factions, it's a money sink, you farm to field then rinse and repeat. The fights are all the incentive we need, when pvm becomes boring it is the only endgame left. And as a side note anyone wjo thinks there is no faction fighting going on every day is high or blind, I find a fight every time I go looking for one and I have yet to see CoM fail to produce the numbers to fight in any given encounter. The fights are out there, the people who want to kill each other on the regular are out there, no platinum required, and as such i must say I'd rather see factions remain as they are and simply see more people willing to field simply for the fun that it provides.
    Evilar, Dalavar, Artex and 1 other person like this.
  4. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Nobody's a pos here. If you can't voice your opinion or grievance without being cussed at what's that say about us? Most of us are well into our adulthood yet we communicate with one another like we're back in jr high.

Glad to have the pvp community that uor has ununited as it is on this server. Grudges and gripes are typical of any game how you handle them shows character/style/class or the lack of it.

On another note - Moving points off your regularly fielded faction toon to another that hardly leaves the house is bs. Not sure if that's what's going on but seems that way lately while fighting a certain group.
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

It has been quite some time since I've paid any amount of attention to the sigils or the SL channel. Probably in the order of several months.
  6. Var

Var Active Member

Its frustrating when the 3 big dicks of SL speak up it turns every topic into a soup sandwich. They will never be able to voice opinions without a select few waiting to pounce on them.

Thank you Cynic for wanting to make things better, I disagree with your train of thought, but like your passion to make pvp better.
    Cynic likes this.
  7. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

*grumbles*

Wish I was a big dick
  8. Var

Var Active Member

I said the big D's, not the Massive Megalodon Mobo D
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  9. Bob

Bob Member

I like turtles.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  11. RollinTheTweed

RollinTheTweed Active Member

This is poorly thought out, bucs really for a risk? The risk is already there, it's called oranges checking towns with sigils/vendors. No trammie ass fix to factions is going to fix the pvp scene here, look at the arena and ctf, people beg for those two settings and are no where to been seen after. So in short, the action % rests solo like on the individual, not factions, O/C, arena, nor the ctfs. Sounds like Bucs is actually wanted as a faction "town" for the chance of side arming reds to complete your dirty work.
  12. RollinTheTweed

RollinTheTweed Active Member

13. Bob

Bob Member

Someone should tell Slayerik that I'm keeping an eye out for his crafter. If I get another shot at it, I'm killing it again. Or, Hell, anyone else that's affiliated with -F- for that matter. Not because I have a grudge against any of these guys but because of the fact that these guys are cash cows.

Netting 10k gold and a Second Anniversary wardrobe is a pretty good reward for bathing someone's crafter in poison fields (in the middle of town lol) while their undivided attention is focused on another character that's out griefing newbies in dungeons with their gank squad.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  14. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

Is this the guy that had half a millions gold worth of clothing on him? Me and Halabinder were talking about that earlier.

Expensive "bath" .
    Halabinder likes this.
  15. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

cynic, what they do is gain points with the claypools and then transfer them to their main toons, this way they dont give out alot of points when they die, hense why there main factioners all have high points but you rarely see them .

as far as the sigbot they have, it works great becus withen ten mins of me always stealing them, atleast one of them is coming to steal them back and its funny how u see two faction thieves(peter nincompoop and paul the creeper) but yet they are ALWAYS ON and when i say always i mean any time of day or night (i know ive tried many different times) ....talk about account sharing...
  16. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

1. You can't pass points upwards anymore to someone with higher points than you. So at best you could even points out among your characters, but not effectively pass them off to one you don't use. You could probably get around this by having alts in other factions but noone in SL does this. I know I risk my highest point character every time I fight.

2. The information that IRC script needed is no longer on the site (corrupting for shadowlords, corrupted for true brits, etc.)

3. Noone has ever been on my faction thief and stolen a sigil. I don't know a single person in SL that that shares faction characters. Telamon is the only one that could prove this unfortunately.

Now I've no intention to provide you with information about why you get beat so consistently on taking towns, but I will explain why none of you have any points compared to SL. The people with high points never die.

My characters: 848 kills, 114 deaths, 88 total points

ebola's characters: 409 kills, 218 deaths, 35 total points

(and since he also made the accusation)
    artex : 16 kills, 54 deaths, 0 points

This is the reality of why we have points and you rarely do, and it's right there in the database for you to look at it yourself. But you know, hacks and cheats and what not. Noone could possible defeat you legitimately.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

You act like the forums are the only place you try to swing that e-peen of yours. Perhaps you forgot while browsing for more sweet gifs. This is embarrassing for you.

I must have missed the thread update notices on this one but it's clearly been humping right along.

napo, since plat spawn was balanced out in champs they have become much more reasonable. If any incentive was applied to factions I would hope it would be drastically restricted so it was more of a "hey that's nice" instead of anything remotely worthwhile to put a grind into. That's what champs and other venues of profit are for. The thought was more like a little "bonus" that couldn't exceed any amount already garnered by such things as say...idling off your murder counts.
    How that can be had with absolute restriction from abuse, is definitely a huge challenge and there's a lot to be done before it can be truly considered I'd guess. That said, saying there's no room for an honest living in PvP is a bit shortsighted on anyone's part, in my opinion. By honest living, I mean not murderering or stealing from players. The value of the loot on corpses is for the most part very negligible (leathers and reagents 80%+ of the time?). In any regard, I'm not offended that you don't agree there could be a channel there for a good aligned fighter to make his way in the world. I'm just not inclined to change my opinion because you think it's fine the way it is.

For what it's worth, Telamon gimped the data feed to the website several months back to cripple Liberation's nifty IRC bot. The bot was a bad idea to have, whether or not Telamon had considered it before or after Liberation proved it was easily abused. Clever use of IRC and the website data is hardly something that should be considered fair play for all. I'm fairly confident SL aren't farming kills or sharing accounts. Mes idles on his thief Peter Nincompoop pretty much constantly and that's not a mystery to anyone. As for the high kill ratios, I know for certain when I've got a full team on CoD, the only time we don't have kick ass ratios is when we play versus another full team with as much communication time together (hint hint: this is SL, lol)

Factions will be getting an overhaul and things will be changing. Whether they change for the better will require a lot of discussion and sharing of ideas and opinions as well as thorough testing. Whether or not your opinions on the matter are heard depends entirely on how you engage in the conversations and assist with testing, as has been shown time and time again here.
  18. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

This laughably untrue on literally every single point you made. My main faction char is the one with more points.

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/pvp/103415. <-- main faction
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/pvp/194432. <-- backup factioner

As mes already stated, you can't transfer points to a char with less points than you. It's been this way for nearly a year.

The only people that I know used to transfer points from one char to another were Bart and several of the members of crew. No one in SL account shares. The same can't be said for you, Ebola.

So, in closing with the few posts you've made in this thread you've all but confirmed you can't count and don't know shit about fuck. congratulations.
  19. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Really?
  20. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I know of no one who does.