Suggestions for the duel arena(s)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pill, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

If points were removed from factions would we see you more or less?

... *ponders*
  2. Tuco

Tuco Well-Known Member

I has an idea.

I've seen "Duelling stones" in other worlds. Could be moderately expensive (gold sink), placed in a house (lg tower, fortress, keep, castle), tied in to the ranking system w/ IRC shout outs just like in the arenas.

If you need added security for your duels, but still want them ranked and announced, this would do the trick.

There's a Fellucan solution for ya.

Have a nice day, and shop Black Market Vendors! (brand new shiny fruit basket for sale! only 35k!)
    Random, Basoosh and Blaise like this.
  3. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Banker accessible only outside duel box would be nice and one that will serve both reds and blues. I do like the duel bell idea on that other server that broadcasts a message to all players but I would have an opt out for those who wish not to receive a duel alert. Setup the event area with an active duel pit would be nice. I'm sure there are many of us who consider duel arenas to be a true representation of skill which provides a sound ranking system. If I want to sit there waiting in duel queue on my red watching others finish their fight I'd like to do so in peace... I'm not there for a 5v1

Are there any player bought duel arenas (not in your house) currently and is that a possibility? I always liked the MyM duel arena on SA.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Mindless likes this.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Tuco, I would quite literally work towards a large plat purchase, but preferably a large gold purchase (gold sink/removed from econ), for a Duel-Stone for my guild hall. I have an arena on the roof and something that would provide the same interface and world/web ranking services of the public arenas would be quite frankly, fucking awesome.

Good idea.

Artex, the only player arenas are built in player/guild homes.
    Tuco likes this.
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

So much salt in this thread.

I'm against any protections from pvp for pvpers. You joined factions, so deal with it. This server already has enough trammel. Factioners asking for more trammel is really mind blowing to me.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

We did deal with it, as a team, this morning while we guarded sigils and maintained control of the towns. Had a few good fights with some brave Minax folks who sadly had no thief and too small a team to make a dent, but alas, good times were had by all.

Having a ranked duel system that doesn't provide kill points in a barrel isn't Trammel, it's good programming for the health of the shard. Not anyone's statistics based ego.
  7. napo

napo Well-Known Member

We already have that ranked duel system. It's not like it's been removed. It's just that the factioners need to watch out when they're in a public place, because as with all public places, people orange to you might show up and kill you.
    It has always been like this with factions. If you show up on an orange to a shard event, oranges might show up and kill you. If you show up to a public bank and try to use it, oranges may show up and try to kill you. If you show up to a champ spawn and try to get some platinum, oranges may show up to kill you. If you pop out of an event gate, oranges might show up to kill you. By the way, that last one happened to me and I didn't immediately go crying to telamon about how it was unfair and ahboohoohooo. Of course, it has happened to other people who have cried to him and as a result we have seen event gates slowly become more and more trammel over the past year.

Let's frame the issue in a way that may be a little easier for you guys to understand.
    You joined factions and then collectively allied against the last group on the server that engages in no holds barred and then complained when that was a little more than what you bargained for. If we really are the griefing shitbags that everyone on the planet seems to claim we are, why not drop out of factions and just have your fake field fights and duels and whatever else it is you do that you all seem to enjoy more than dealing with us?
    The idea that you joined factions looking for no holds barred pvp and now you're complaining for rules to protect you from oranges is asinine. Get out of factions and join order/chaos or something, don't get your trammel all over my shit. It would be nice if we could have one little corner of the game that wasn't slowly turning into trammel.
  8. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I have another thought worth making a post on this, too.

What many of you are struggling with that is leading to so much whining is that you can't truly wrap your heads around the fact that pvp in UO is not fair and it never well be. The mean and the dirty win in UO.
    It's one of the things that I love about the game, but it is also the fundamental flaw that led to trammel and all of the things we saw happen to the game. UO's numbers dropped off because the majority of people will choose the fair thing (at the time, EQ) over the thing that is seemingly unfair.

I recognize this truth, and that is why I don't complain when protections are extended to blues.
    When reds and oranges ask for it, however, I get a little offended. You signed your right to bitch about these things when you willingly became orange or red. You took a step into the pvp world, and shit is not fair in UO pvp. You will never make it fair without changing the soul of the game. So please, take a step back and look at yourselves before you fuck more shit up while asking for trammel.
  9. Mindless

As I said... ultimately I agree with you guys (SL).

But don't pretend like we're the ones who cried after what went down in the duel pit the other day. I certainly didn't make this post.

http://i.imgur.com/Fo9ug4X.gif
  10. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

For me it's not about factions or reds it's about dueling in a duel arena. I consider duels an impromptu player event garnering nearly the same respect as player scheduled events. Calling this thread a trammel whining session is typical response to dismiss the contents of the post. Most people can show some gamesmanship and restraint for awhile and just duel. It's about the quality of the culture present here on UOR. No honor no gamesmanship that's the field pvp climate for a few here that contaminates the many. If you just had to repay someone for a misdeed I could see killing them once and being done with it but that's not SL's method is it? We each have different perceptions of what UOR can or should be discussing them civilly is not whining.
    Mindless likes this.
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

The culture here is terrible, but I've tried many times to extend the olive branch only to have it slapped and my face spat in.
    It's naive to pretend that civility exists here, and dishonest to pretend that it's somehow SL's obligation to fix the problem when the people that perpetuate it are mostly on the other side. Sorry if you get caught in the crossfire, but you're allied with these people and I don't see you speaking out against their lack of civility.
    I'll show them the same respect at the dueling arena that they show me in all other areas - which is none.

As I said, if people can't handle the current atmosphere in factions, they should drop out. They can engage in dueling, or order chaos, or guild wars, or whatever. Factions aren't the only place to find pvp, or so I've been told.
  12. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Delusional thoughts..
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No one has ever implied that SL is obligated to fix anything, that I've seen. I have suggested that in order to remedy what you, napo specifically, cite as a bad community, you will have to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. The onus is on all of us, but that is not a free ticket for you to sit back and leave it to everyone else who is actively playing this game and having a good time of it.

No one here has implied that they are not interested in faction fights, in every other context. More so to that point, we are all perfectly fine with the understanding that en route to the pits, we are just as much at risk as any other time. The ONLY thing being asked for here is a restriction to prevent ANYONE from ABUSING the mechanics of a fair duel arena, to farm cheap/easy kills. No other scenario AT ALL that you have mentioned, specifically holds a player in an area and drops them to a single screen location, without their mount or ability to defend themselves with all normal mechanics. In literally every other situation, a factioner has their mechanically accurate ability to defend themselves or flee from a lopsided fight. For the record, fleeing from a lopsided fight is EXACTLY something that has been extolled to me as PvP wisdom by Mes and yourself as well, just not as vocally.

Perhaps a short window where the duelers can remount and get up any desired defensive spells would suit. But to say that it is appropriate to force a duel participant into a trap because people who don't like to duel or take part in these events want easy kill points to pad their own egostats, is simply ridiculous. You can play semantics all day but you are so far off base, this must be embarrassing for you.

PS: I'm sorry I didn't see you this morning when Kane or whomever that was, tried to bag sigils by themselves on behalf of SL. I look forward to seeing you in ANY of the scenarios you mentioned and seem to think are the only valid forms of PvP here.

Good day.
    HateCrime and Mindless like this.
  14. napo

napo Well-Known Member

You are still trying to characterize things as "abuse" and "unfair" when in reality it's just factioners being attacked in public places. I am staunchly opposed to trammel-like protections that prevent people like reds and oranges who willingly chose to be flagged that way being unattackable because some whiners decided it wasn't fair.
    As I said, pvp is not supposed to be fair and trying to impose fairness upon and unfair system will just lead to a trainwreck.

It's fine if Telamon can figure out how to make people pop out of the arena mounted, but any window where an orange or a red is unattackable is complete bullshit. Don't be orange or red if you aren't okay with being attackable at any point in time, no matter how far down your pants are.
    It's like bitching to be invincible when you res. You're not mounted as a new res and it's unfair when you get killed then too. You're still struggling with this idea, you want factions to be fair when it's not.

Also, for the record, I don't give a shit about kill points or easy kills. I kill oranges where I see them, and I do have a strong interest in keeping trammel out of factions. Quit whining for Telamon to make things easier for you, or get out of factions and shit up O/C with your desire for babymode.

This is the second post you've brought this up in, I guess you want to brag that you got sigs? They came up at like 7 AM this morning, people have shit to do. Grats though, I'm sure it was hard for you guys to deal with the one SL that was online at the time.
    Mes likes this.
  15. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Still delusional... Starting to finally fill the void that was empty the other day when I asked "who the hell is this napo guy?!?". Things are really coming into context.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The duel arenas are not a public place, they are simply accessible TO THE public. I'm sorry you can't see the difference. If it were public, you could just walk INTO the arena and attack. It's not, so you can't. Instead, you opt to ABUSE mechanics (the timer) to trap easy kills. Justify it however you want, that is all it is.

I'm actually just as dismayed about your lack of effort to raid our base in the last two sigil corruptions, as you are about the suggestion to prevent you from abusing the timer on a private duel to get kills. You've said enough times that you will take kills however you can get them, including gating champs to houses but I'm sure you're tired of that card being pulled. The simple fact is, you will take every cheap and easy kill you can get and when there is a real challenge afoot, you fold. It's ok, everyone has their right to avoid hard fights. No one should have the right to trap players for easy kills by abusing a simple arena timer mechanic, in my opinion.

It's all good, I'll see you when I see you.
  17. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

We've never been interested in guarding sigils at six am guy. You aren't the first one to get them - KTT/CoM was packing 10 guys in their base all night this summer too. I hope noone is sacrificing their family lives for the game and stuff. The reality is if it wasn't at 6am and we had people on we would have scoped it out and raided if it was reasonable. But some of these people have obligations at that hour. That thing you said about minax raiding was cute though. But I don't see the point in this shit being in this thread. If you wanted to jerk off to your 6am sigil defense, make a new thread.
  18. napo

napo Well-Known Member

A public place is generally an indoor or outdoor area, whether privately or publicly owned, to which the public have access by right or by invitation, expressed or implied, whether by payment of money or not, but not a place when used exclusively by one or more individuals for a private gathering or other personal purpose.

The dueling arenas are open to everyone. They are a public place. You are arguing that because you can't walk into the dueling area itself it's not public, but the kills in question take place in the spectator area - a public place. The dueling area itself is also public, it's just that only two people can use it at the same time. It's like arguing that a park bench isn't public because only a few people can sit on it at a time.
    If you are orange in a public place, you should expect to be attacked. That is what you signed up for when you clicked the sigil stone.
    An example of a private place would be your house. It's not open to everyone (unless you screw up with home security)

It's not abuse to kill an orange in a public place, no matter how unprepared he is.

Sigs were up at 7 in the morning today homie, we don't have enough people to be putting on large numbers of people at that hour. People have shit to do. Sorry for that, I guess?
    You guys dodge the fuck out of us when you aren't behind 20 guards, don't outnumber us by a large number, aren't working with another faction, etc.
    I don't really want to get in an argument over it, but our guys have been looking for fights all week and we can't find shit where you aren't stacking the odds way in your favor. They're so desperate that they're looking for fights at TB houses even though Mes and I bitch endlessly about how stupid house fights are.

You guys stack ten people (from different factions working together, no less) behind ten traps in your base while we only have five online and then go "WOOOOOOOOOOOOW SL WHY DIDN'T YOU RUN INTO OUR DEATH TRAP, YOU COWARDS"

Of course we won't do shit like that. TB also got bitchy when you spawned and entire house full of guards and we didn't run into it. Are you guys daft? Do you expect us to do stupid shit because you've died that way in the past?
    Either way, this really isn't even related to you guys wanting to trammel up factions.
  19. Mindless

*yawn*

Who wants to fight?

I can't stress this enough: It will be FUN.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Never said I was the first and give 0 shits about when you care about them. If you want to play outside the trammel boxes, come do it. Otherwise, care factor = 0. Have a nice time jocking cheap kills in any way you can get them while intentionally avoiding fights you might lose. I understand losing is a pain point for some and I can't fault anyone for having feelings.

No one signed up for getting trapped on a timer in a sanctioned duel. That's just poor sportsmanship taking advantage of a bad mechanic.

I'm happy folks are out here having fun, factioning, dueling, CTFing and laughing at and with each other all the while. This community is too small for horrible grudges. lol