Sunday Night Harrower

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by The Musician, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

As a supporter of newer players, my only comment is that it would have been nice for some of them to walk out with loot, as opposed to being repeatedly killed and lose all their stuff, just for a few kicks for the 1% on this server.

I need attention and I'm bored, lets grief new players. zzzzzzz
    The hound and Artex like this.
  2. The hound

The hound Active Member

Lol yeah.. ppl like liberation hiding and popping out just to cast wall of stone so you get trapped and die..

Seriously are u that bored that you have to ruin others fun?

I would at least respect it if you went grey and actually attacked instead of blue grief hiding up in the corner.

Either way you, and others, succeeded at ensuring a lot of people never go to these types of events again
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

TBH, I think it sucked for most (first-time harrower) players and was certainly no good public event for the unexperienced or unorganized. The place was full of killer-types, but I also didn't expect anything else and probably nobody did lose something valuable that they brought with them... there was just no gain for most (except the experience!).
    Basoosh likes this.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Ya it definitely sucked for the inexperienced and experienced alike. I was hoping for some PKs, not blue griefers. There was just little recourse that could be taken against those cowards, but as some other posters have said, don't expect anything else, just hope for the best.
  5. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

hehe I just got lucky then I suppose? That was my first time. I read the guide and figured I was suppose to cast MS on the adds so I ended up with a plat from one of the adds. I got pulled in and died to the boss (as was expected from reading guide) once and I jumped through someone's gate to town got resed and went back. But throughout the final stage I kept getting healed and hidden so the purty dragons a few tiles away could be convinced to fight each other instead of me. I said thanks in IRC afterwards. From my experience it was a smooth operation.

I am not gonna lie, when I died and couldn't get a res and had to wait for a random gate to go to a random town, I was annoyed. But you have to get over that and keep trying if you want stuff. This was never meant to be an easy game imho and it helped to have read the guide and to know what to expect. Getting two shotted by a boss is less fun when you don't know that's what was supposed to happen. I Grabbed regs from bank (OP instructions) got a new mount jumped back to the dungeon entrance. If you followed the instructions of the OP and the suggestions of the few posts after you would realize by coming with a lightly equipped mage, you would risk least and maximize your chance of gains. I think you guys may have made it sound a bit too easy and maybe raised expectations from new players too high.

Just wanted to give you guys some feedback from a very positive 1st time Harrower experience. Thanks :)
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

It is actually a very easy experience in general. A couple things went downhill from the get go with this Harrower. Wrong is by far the worst place to spawn a harrower, too many areas for tentacles to hide. Also, the plan was that they were going to drop the first form of the Harrower and all the tentacles before gating people into the dungeon. They wanted to minimize the amount of people present for the first two phases in order to make it as easy as possible. It didn't help that the event was griefed from just about the first phase all the way to the end.

Lot's of new players there during the tentacle phase didn't help, especially if they didn't know how tentacles work. You can tell when all those dragons died in the 2nd phase that many people didn't know what they were doing.

In the event O^S does another public harrower, which after how this last one went I doubt they will, and the harrower spawns somewhere like Destard then you'll see how easy these really are.
  7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

And when you do take action against blue griefers, they make a huge stink about how they got PK'd and hold baseless vendettas for ages. And then when you hold private harrowers, people get all pissy and complain that you aren't 'doing what's best for the server'.
  8. Halabinder

lol @Cynic - You do realize the approach your post takes is exactly what I was trying to bring up? Thank you for making my point with a "It's actually a very Easy Experience in general, but it can be Very hard due to these reasons" post. It's either easy (as in always easy) or it is sometimes easy and other times it can be hard. You want new players not to be scared to come out to these things so you make it seem like it is easy, then when it gets griefed and people don't bother to read the instructions you go well that's why it wasn't easy.
  9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Spent most of time/mana resing the poor new peoples that ran into tentacles.
    I think it "spice" up the event when you have to face griefing or pks.
    And Harrower is supposed to be the strongest, hard to beat monster in this era no ?

I didnt get plats. I had to invis my guys when the dragon mayhem started. For some reason if you hide, it reset the accumulated damage you have done to the monster.

Still was real fun to me and hope more public harrower happens.
    Halabinder likes this.
  10. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

The point is if people would have only come at the time they were invited to come then it would have been fine and that's why it was advertised as not being all that difficult.
  11. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

Really hiding resets dmg? I thought it was just dying.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Remember that people were wailing away on the Harrower for a long time, with little effect due to the tentacle(s) restoring his health. So it may be the case that one or more of those people just did so much damage by the time the Harrower could actually be killed that no one could get within whatever % of that damage is needed for platinum.
    Basoosh likes this.
  13. Halabinder

Maybe it has a 16 (or X being a value I do not know) second timer like Discordance? I was being hidden frequently when the dragons were released behind me but I would pop out of hiding when casting so I wouldn't have been hidden for long.

EDIT: Maybe the Invisibility casts were intended to troll me and never intended as clearing agro... i don't know.
  14. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

I dunno either, this is something I'd love to hear about from staff.
    Halabinder likes this.
  15. Xevec

Xevec Active Member

I think it might be related to your proximity to the harrower also, I think if your too many tiles away you don't get plat either. Each of my tamers only had 1 dragon alive during the final harrower fight and they both got plat, so I dunno if damage threshold is the only factor. I always try to be withing 10 tiles when he dies, it has yet to fail me. Arya_1-18_22.32-1.jpg Arya_1-18_22.32-3.jpg
    Vlar likes this.
  16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

WOW! NICE screenshots!