Tamer nerf

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by It'sallALark, Jul 4, 2017.

Should tamers be nerfed?

1. Yes, limit pet damage against players and reduce the number of mare slots to 2

36.1%
  2. No, I like hitting a hot key and letting the game fight for me. All kill no skill all day.

63.9%
  1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Many things have come to UOR despite hesitation and acceptance from the playerbase, those massive crystals immediately come to mind. Ultimately it's up to Telamon to address the issue if he perceives the nightmare turrets to negatively impact on the shard, not the players. These are just suggestions which are based on the original intent of the shard, and what was seen through the Renaissance era.

I feel that lowering the amount of pet slots would also increase player interaction to a degree; by encouraging players to work together to bring down tougher enemies, but I digress.

You would still have those mares and dragons, the only change is that you can't use all of them at once. Hell, Telamon can even grandfather in the 8 control slots for anyone that is currently using all 8, but the second they stable/lose a pet and it drops to 5, it stays 5 for good. I've played a tamer for 4+ years and trained countless Dragons/Wyrms/Nightmares, and can honestly say that I would appreciate lowering the amount of pet slots more than anything on the wish list.

I believe the core of the issue is that the taming system was developed in OSI shards where most players would never get past 85~ taming, on UOR it's possible to GM taming within a few days and have more firepower than 99% of OSI players ever saw. During OSI, GM'ing the hard skills like Resist, Taming and Magery (to an extent) would put you at a clear advantage over the majority of players, however this would take months/years to do, without 3 accounts to help you along the way. On Renaissance there have been 'young' players reaching GM taming without ever leaving Ocllo, so the relative difficulty is completely skewed.
    newme, One and It'sallALark like this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

time does not equate relevance

should the world explode, that would be one very important second
    newme likes this.
  3. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

If I wanted your opinion I'd read the stall wall graffiti in a local waffle house.

I've already done more on this server with random restarts than you will in your entire UOR career. Run along little child.
  4. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

This is the part I like.

You should be best friends with triggered
  5. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

Deacon is making valid points. When I suggest this stuff, I'm not suggesting I'm 100% right, rather I'm giving feedback on my game experience, which in a lot of ways is unique to other people's play styles. That's what I like about the thief, different folks bring different play. Traditionally and up until the bonding stuff (and recent mare garbage) I've been able to run circles on tamers. Not closing in and stealing and attacking, but escape and casting from a distance. Tamers are op beasts now.

I try to provide feedback on the most neglected aspect of the server and most beloved class to myself (thieves) and on the inaccurate and class killing things I run into (tamers, fails, mechanics, etc..) because this is the in game dynamics I deal with most.

I will say on a positive note, because in all things it's easy to become obsessed with the things you don't like over the good things in life, that the server is top notch and I appreciate having it. I've always played a thief main and I love tweaking noses and the chase and the find more than the kill and the stuff. I often give the stuff back if people are nice or sell it for chump change. That's why I'll rail against the system on bad days because this aspect of UOR could be made better imo.

And you guys have to take anything I do or say with a grain of salt, I'm a grumpy old cynical bastard on some days and I mouth off to mouth off.

So yeah, to sum it up, tamers op, thieves way too nerfed, I hate mares. Treehugger is an astronaut.
    newme, Deacon and binlagin like this.
  6. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

Not an astronaut yet, still a space cadet.
    It'sallALark likes this.
  7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

It would be just the same as any second throughout history; no more significance, no less.

It's very conceited to think otherwise.
    One likes this.
  8. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

My biggest complaint with tamers is they are allowed to spend millions on perfect dragons and mares and then NEVER lose them where as a dexxer or archer spends 1 million+ on a top notch slayer etc and then you can only use it with no/minimal risk of losing it 4-5 times a year or high level tmaps. That is bullshit no matter how you cut it say it etc. A dexxer can solo a balron but not with near the ease of a tamer can. I admit a dexxer shouldnt be as powerful as two dragons and mare but the instakill is also lame. decrease slots to 5 and take away pet bonding comepletely OR decrease pet slots to 5 and let dexxers/archers insure their slayers/uber weapons. I play a tamer and even with untrained dragons I can make shit tons of cash. A pk comes and I cant get out no big deal. They get my loot/regs my dragons die. I go throw on some more GM leather and restock my regs and go tame two half decent dragons and Im back to making 50-100k and hour with ease. Where is the risk again? Meanwhile a dexxer can make a good living but they cant just go get another uber slayer in 10-20 minutes. Dont even start about th dragons and mares losing skill. Get a shadow elemental and macro their skills back up. Easy shit and every tamer knows it.
    Mr. Green, Blaise, Anarchy and 3 others like this.
  9. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member
    UO:R Donor

They honestly should look at improving other classes.

It's hard when one of the first posts you see when starting on this shard is "If you really want to compete you need to make at least 1 tamer if not 2".
    wylwrk likes this.
  10. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

What buff you referring to?
  11. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

First of all, to the original poster, I honestly believe when you load the questions in a poll, it will not do you any justice.
    Secondly, I voted for 1 button all kill for the simple fact that it's good to know of some other viable pvp template than mages.
  12. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

13. Poogoblin

Poogoblin Active Member

14. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

I don't see any buffs...

As an aside, I'd like to chime in with a new player's perspective:

I've invested some time here. It's been fun. But, honestly, it's pretty discouraging to see just how much of an edge tamers have on this shard. It's that, plus the fact that tamers are everywhere.

I guess, to me, it seems like it's not really even an edge. It's a world of difference.

People have suggested a "correct" order for creating characters (upon which many seem to largely agree) to maintain financial stability.

Every one of them starts with tamers, and it's either been cited directly or hinted that taming is the lowest-risk, highest-return, easiest option by no small measure.

I'm fine with tamers making a lot of money. But, then I learned how disruptive one tamer can be to PvP. The power scale seems horribly off.

I'm growing my character and playing it the way I do because I find it fun to play the game that way. But, at the same time, this is a no-holds-barred multiplayer game.

If the class in which my character participates can't stand a chance *by design* against another, my playstyle will have become limited and my time will have been wasted.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Poogoblin, Killian and wylwrk like this.
  15. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

I don't care anymore this thread is months old if the people want dexxers to keep up with tamers in DPS go for it. I am tired and don't feel like arguing over
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just have to step back and acknowledge that reality, play the game your way, and make it more about fun than being competitive and reaching for the sky.

Just going to speak for myself here but there was a time when I thought the games only goal was to reach the top and have more than everyone else and you know what for a lot of people that is the way it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The game has rules, the game is not balanced, and I think it's that way on purpose .

I really don't think the game was intended to be balanced.

If anything and pardon me while I rub the shit off my nose, I appreciate what Chris has done for warriors or should I say non tamers on the server of his. He didn't have to do it, but it's there.

That said I effing despise tamers. I hate what they've done to the game and I personally believe they are what led to its eventual downfall (that and EA being a death nail to everything they touch).

I find it a really ironic that they are the foundation that led to this server's success and where it not for them and the customized attention they were given, I don't think that this server would've gone very far.

I feel dirty now.
    Althorn and Imbol like this.
  17. Unknown_Hero

Unknown_Hero Active Member

I would kill mare packs all day with a disco tamer.
  18. David Scraggs

We aren’t saying we want dexxers to keep up with tamers in DPS atleast most of us don’t want that. We think it’s bullshit that tamers can have two perfect dragons and a mare or four perfect mates etc with ZERO risk of losing them once you bond them. Meanwhile dexxers have to spend 1 million plus on a weapon to do our max damage and risk losing it EVERY time we take it from the bank. Don’t even start the bullshit about how hard it is to GM a tamer. Several guides on how to do it nearly afk. Like I stated about. 5 taming slots and no bonding OR 5 taming slots and once a dexxer spends 1 million + on a good weapon we get to bond it and keep it.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  19. David Scraggs

I wouldn’t mind seeing that lol
  20. Unknown_Hero

Unknown_Hero Active Member

Month ago I just put my dragons on Raven's nightmare discored it and ran. Did the same thing over and over to kill his pack/