"Tamer Reconversion"

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by AlexHell Slayer, Apr 20, 2019.

1. AlexHell Slayer

AlexHell Slayer Active Member

Hi! Since I started playing on this server almost... three months now, I noticed pure warriors have little use, unless they have provocation or something. So, I am thinking of converting my first toon (a warrior with parring, magery, and ressist) to something much more usefull... a tamer (so I do not steal my daughter's tamer anymore... plus she gets kind of angry when I change her dragon's names). My question is: how tedious / long is going from 30 animal taming to 50? I already trained her tamer from 50 to 100, so I know exactly what to expect... but as for 30 to 50... I don't think there is the "commodity" of an equivalent to bull pens. Those who did it... Would you say going from 30 to 50 is a pain in the ass... even worse than 30 to 50? I think I mostly need a word of encouragement to take the leap... the path seems to be lost lands -> Dagger Island -> Compassion... right? I guess last two I can somehow do it semi-afk. Any other tip?
    One and Miami like this.
  2. AlexHell Slayer

@Jill Stihl I just read on IRC you have a tamer dexxer, and think it is real fun. I woul not mind having low int, and having to use my kid's tamer for a while to provide my own with pets. What is your build?

@Jesus Is King I always see you go IronMan on IRC, right? It looks like you have a dexxer tamer too? If that is so, would you share your build?
  3. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/1371462

^My guy.

50 magery is enough for recall/reflect off a scroll and opening camp chests. It'll also do gate scrolls with a few fizzles. I initially went with 30 magery and GM tactics but it was a pita. More magery would of course be nice but I wont drop more of the other skills to get it.

85 healing and vet obviously gives the odd fail but it feels pretty rare.

Most of the time I just run with the mare I'm sitting on, it's dexxering with a four-legged mage buddy. Overall I'm pleased with the build.
    AlexHell Slayer and PaddyOBrien like this.
  4. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

RiffRaff- likes this.
  5. AlexHell Slayer

Tnx! I know we can have three accounts each, I contacted Chris about this and asked for an extra account for her. But she plays just a little, so I think one account for her is just fine. If I asked two more accounts, I would end up using her toons... so better not (unless she starts playing SERIOUSLY). The reason why I use her tamer is because it is the first toon I made for her, being a girl I thought she would love it... and at that point, I didn't know I would love it too :). I have another toon with 50 taming, this will be my tamer. But have not yet started to train.... and since I am not using my warrior too much... I thought of converting instead of training that new one. Still undecided!
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  6. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

Yo Alex! Nope. Taming is rough in scrolls. I use a pure dexer/provo for them.
    Gm swords/lumberjack/provoke/music/tactics/healing and anatomy I believe
  7. AlexHell Slayer

Nice! I am building a lumber provo as well. Since it is your toon for IronMan, I have another two extra questions for you: which scrolls can he run solo? Only amibs? And.... how do you handle bosses which cannot be provoked? Hit and run... or any other special strategy?
  8. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

I've managed all the amiss and Christmas scrolls except the white witch and kramp. Haven't even attempted them. And yup I hit and run like crazy and use the board when I can. Like hiding behind tents from casters
    Miami likes this.
  9. AlexHell Slayer

Hehe, good to know : )! I have you and Keza as reference to IronMans. I am making your build... and an OssyTank at the same tame.
    Jesus Is King likes this.
  10. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

i have a GM fenc tact heal anat 80 mage 80 med 75 resist 50 hiding or something close and i can PvP and kill pretty much anything solo PvM wise. might take some time but i make a good bit with him but its my first character as well, so i had to make him universal. on a good day i can make close if not over a mill gold, thats items coins etc
  11. AlexHell Slayer

Well, it took me a while, but tamer reconversion is done! Didn't start inmediatly though... even had a whole week withough taming anything.

I lived through the experience of attending a tamer (not AFK for a single minute). It was fun, although I wouldn't repeat it again... not entirely.
    I tamed stuff through dagger island, the lost lands, Destard, fire temple, and fire dungeon. I even stood at the jhelom bull pits for a 6% gain before leaving. I also used many retames from my daughter's tamer. Always taming the most difficult mob I could for my skill level. Some parts were fun, so I will probably repeat them with my next tamer (yesss more tamers). But I will probably unattend most of it, since it was really a lot of work! Good thing is I found some quest animals on the road, and decent dragons (even an 825 825 one... too bad it has minimul int, but bonded it anyway).

My final toon, inspired on @Jill Stihl 's dexxer tamer, with a variation:

Anatomy 100
    Animal Lore 100
    Animal Taming 100
    Mace Fighting 100
    Healing 90
    Veterinary 80
    Tactics 70
    Magery 60

Not very high on tactics, but can reach 90% or 95% with weapons for a decent damage, and not failing thaaat much when using gate travel scrolls. For a while I had 80 healing and 80 tactics, but bandages failed more often than I liked. I think this will be a fun build. I can use dragons, and HIT something, for god's sake. I always feel the need to hit when watching dragons attack!

Next ones will be a PVP tamer (I'll take some pvp lessons from my neighbour Lacan probably : ) , and a Dexxer "Frenzy Ranger", with 80 taming, inspired on stuff from three of Keza's videos.
    Khari, Buga and Jill Stihl like this.