Tamer Stat Loss

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Lichend, Oct 18, 2015.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Inspired new character name. Thank you, @Mes !
  2. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Where did it go? I've actually boycotted all interest in anything relating to the L7 maps.
    Blaise likes this.
  3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Now they eject you to a town moongate of your choosong
  4. Pork Fried Rice

Thanks for the info. Might be time I find a new shard if this is the direction Chris is taking us with all the newer content. Maybe UO really is dead.
  5. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

The amibs already ejected you to town, then the Xmas scrolls took you to the event center. lvl 7 maps are harder to come by than either of these. I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms over this
  6. Pork Fried Rice

I actually had no idea all those eject you to town. I am apparently just realizing how messed up all those systems I already disliked actually are. I didn't like them before because they were content that plucks people from the open game maps. I guess consistency is important, but consistency would mean free rides to moongates not occurring.
    Mindless likes this.
  7. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

That was how it was in the beginning.

http://uorforum.com/threads/why-this-shard.338/

4th post down by HateCrime
    Blaise likes this.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Funny how the taming stat loss thread turns into a discussion on something completely unrelated.

People toss around Felucca and Trammel a great deal but the reality is people want to play somewhere where they feel the world is not out to screw them completely.

We put a ton of time in to developing the digging mechanic, the felucca dungeon rules, the exits. Everything about this system (treasure maps) was designed to be as risk based as possible. However within 2-3 days of the system being fully active on multiple occasions players were caught surrounding the exits with boxes and keeping poison fields up while watching the clocks showing the event status.

Sometimes the staff has to invest 50 hours into something, that we are well aware can go terribly wrong, only to prove to the players this is why we have to compromise and develop the server in a way that is fun for everyone. OSI went the hardline route and simply divided the players. We have realized the folly in that so we compromise. We give players as much felucca aspects as humanly possible and do our best to add risk to every situation.

Our logic has worked so far, and every new player we talk to comments on how classic this server feels and how there and endless possibilities and activities.

Nice to see you around Zagyg. When the server started we actually had 2 account limits with 5 characters each. While the 1 char, 1 account logic looks good on paper it only works in situations with no skill cap on pay to play servers. With a skill cap and a variety of appealing templates sometimes not even 15 characters is enough.
    Dyne and One like this.
  10. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Why not just remove the clocks?
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

The clocks were removed pretty quickly after it started happening, I think.
    Mindless likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

They were, and we have adjusted the code to account for these issues. The public gates are just a temporary fix as we look into solutions.
    Pork Fried Rice, One and Mindless like this.
  14. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

You do enter through a t map spot. I feel like players already spend many hours out in the world digging up chests just to get one of these things, having a safe way out makes sense to me. I once dug up over 20 lvl 6 maps just to get one level 7, took easily 8-10 hours of game time where I was open to be attacked, so I really don't mind being granted asylum from people who camp a VERY noticeable exit site just to steal someone's hard work. I pk my fair share, but I've got to say, camping those spots was pretty damn low for whoever was responsible.
    Basoosh likes this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  16. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Well-Known Member

Concerning pet skill loss, I'm satisfied seeing it back in place, but I do understand how it feels to rez your pet to find that you have to train them again, that there's more work to be done.

But that's just it. The work should never be done. There's no true endgame in this sandbox world of ours. A tamer chooses to play in such a way that they put in the effort to gain the skills necessary to command our beasts of badassery. There's a fair amount of responsibility involved, however, that should satisfy the risk vs. reward paradigm, meaning our pets die, we resurrect them and have to re-train their skills. It's a trade off.

A PK chooses to play in such a way that when they die with so many short term counts and resurrect, they know they're going to have to train their skills again, unless they macro their counts away. For some, that might not be the best option, and thus they deal with the trade off.

We tamers should feel grateful that our pets were being looked after during that period of time when it was difficult to play, and with the understanding that ours wasn't the only playstyle that suffered, and others didn't have any such safety net, like warriors with their non-bonded slayer weapons. As most people know but are failing to come to terms with is that the lack of skill loss was temporary, and now its back! I'm okay with this, not that that has any relevance to the overall health of this shard.

For a casual player such as myself, going on a tamer quest to gain a bonding slot has a great amount of value, as paying 100-200k for a spot in a group isn't pocket change. May not be the case for other players. I do not feel that reintroducing pet skill loss in any way delegitimizes the time/gold/opportunity cost of bonding a pet, just to be clear. With that being said, I would like to offer a suggestion:

Implement some kind of system of diminishing returns on pet skill loss, i.e. start off with 2.5% skill loss, with a reduced amount of loss per skill level, whatever the threshold might be, 2% at 90 skill, 1.5% at 80 skill, etc.. to a minimum level where there is no more skill loss, to be determined.

Just some thoughts. Thank you for reading!
    StarTrakZack, Basoosh, One and 2 others like this.
  17. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

For all that players talk about risk, everyone tries to mitigate their own risk as much as possible. Many people are exceptionally good at it. Risk is more often one of those words, like Trammel, that gets thrown around when players are denied the ability to PK their server. You don't need to be an oracle to know what will happen in a completely unrestrained Feluccan environment; it has happened many times over. That doesn't stop people from asking for it, or being unhappy when they don't get their way, but it's eminently sensible to try and find balance.

@Chris - Happy to be here! A couple of years later and I'm trying to provoke discussion instead of ogre lords. Yes, of course you're right about the account limit. It was 2 accounts x 5 characters. It was so long ago I'd forgotten it wasn't 1x5. Felt a lot different all the same. I never thought allowing 3 accounts meant that most people would play a broader variety of templates but maybe that's just me projecting. You would certainly know what the playerbase as a whole does better than I do.
    Basoosh likes this.
  18. TheBreadman

TheBreadman Member

I don't know if this would be a workable solution or not, but maybe, their could be some sort of crystal like comm crystals that is bought from vendor in game what would give dragon, temporary protection from stat loss.

So, some examples would be..

20k crystal pre applied lasting 2 hours.
    35k crystal pre applied lasting 4 hours.
    60k crystal pre applied lasting 6 hours.
    70k crystal pre applied lasting 8 hours.

You could also have a crystal that is applied after death.

100k once applied in effect till the pet is ressed.

You could also have a per use preapplied with a week timer on it.

50k - 5 pre applied one time stat loss free resses.. after a week the effect wares off. charges used or not..

Another idea could be quest to acquire charges for no stat loss res for pet. that never expire till used.

^ the values/cost could be anything, just a examples

Also add, I like the idea of statloss,. just trying to think of a middle ground solution for ones who don't. Also at same time creating a gold sink for the server. which is never a bad thing.

Bread.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  19. The Hammer

The Hammer Active Member

More trammel posts! this forum post disgust me!
  20. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

But you have to take into account, that the acquisition of the necessary items for christmas and the lvl7 maps needs many playhours that are susceptible to PKing and thieving.

AMIB generation and fishing is very problematic though, in my opinion. Not only is there no real pvp going on, it's also semi-afk farming. Sure, it's in principle attended. But when most people are watching movies while triple fishing, it's not really the attention one desires.

I really like this idea. Use stealable and PK-able deeds that have to be placed in the main bag of tamers in order to work. Worth at least 10k, bought from stables, for skill loss free ressurection within the first minute of the animal's death (or somehow ensuring that the items actually have to be around when the pet dies and not risk free placed in the bank). Make tamers face some real loss of valuable items. I am curious how many really would face that risk voluntarily for 2.5% skill loss.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    TheBreadman likes this.