Tamer Stat Loss

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Lichend, Oct 18, 2015.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Are you aware that right now, several players have 3 accounts running tamers all of which are AFK farming spawns?

I had tailored my accounts to deal with the initial fire breath, get in there, and outright kill them. I even managed to stealth in on a few and trick them into looting explosives.... until they rewrote their macros. I even found one who employed tracking/detect hidden bots that nullified my stealther. I adapted, had fun with it... however, all the while when you step back and look at it, this is one messed up situation.

Prior to stat loss, they lost nothing but the time it takes to set up again. Infinite pet bonding and trammelocation powder to the rescue.

Before, I personally liked to impose my personal play style of not doing that at all (afk farming). Who am I to think I'm on some holy crusade fighting for the greater good? I'm no Robin Hood. I'm out.

Now, I'm going to join them and it's going to be fabulous.
    Blaise likes this.
  2. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

There hasn't been skill loss for four months. The PKs/Griefers are making up for lost time. I think the pet killing will calm down for most players. I have played most of my time during periods in which there was no pet bonding and animal tamers had to tame pets every once and a while (and for the record what would be my ideal). In that time (including parts of this server's history), pet killing wasn't all that common. I think we'll get back to the point where pks will mostly stop killing pets. I think one of the big problems with pks deciding to kill your pets is that your pets will attack the pks when they get anywhere close to your body. This means in order to loot you or take your head, they have to lead your pets away or kill them which means the marginal increase in effort to kill your pets isn't as much. If we change pet aggression and AI to not chase people to the gates of hell and re attack them after most other aggression resets (invis for example), pet killing would also go down. So, I would say to those against pet skill loss to wait a bit and see how this shakes out.

Let's remember that pet skill loss (and not stat loss, stats remain the same) is not a new system, it's the old system. Or, more appropriately, it's the compromise to add some risk to tamers who have now gained the ability to never have their pets deleted permanently on death. 2.5% skill loss is insignificant compared to not having your pets deleted. Why do you only view this compromise from a position of what you have lost? It's a necessary check on some of the more ridiculous aspects of the animal tamer template (e.g, near naked tamers with 12, 16, 20+ 7x GM mare packs, naked tamer afk farming, etc.). If you dislike how this necessary risk is applied to tamers, suggest real reasonable changes which will implement equal or larger risks to tamers and their tames.

No pet skill loss was a temporary measure in order to relieve some of the damage caused by about 6 solid months of constant DDOS attacks (remember those guys? remember how much those sucked?). Those have stopped. Tamers have lived for 4 months in a fairy tale land of no skill loss. Be thankful for it, but also be reasonable about what risks tamers should have for wielding extremely powerful tames for only 200 skill points in their template. 7x GM pets should be a luxury and something which is hard to get. If you love having 7x GM pets, then don't bring them out to play just like many other templates are extremely cautious with their goodies or farm only instanced events like many of the people here complaining about "trammel."

To those who are griefing, remember that at some level of pk/grief, it gets to the point where many players will simply stop playing or cause such a ruckus that undesirable mechanics are set in place to put checks on people who refuse to not shit on people every chance they get. Felluca should not be an excuse to shit on any and everyone. Some risk is good and some thrill is good, but repeatedly pking people (especially newer players or casual players) and killing their pets will make them stop playing because you have made their playing unfun. And when you bitch and complain about no one being out and about, you should look in the mirror as to why that's the case.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Gideon Jura, One, PaddyOBrien and 2 others like this.
  3. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

AND...what's up with the whole tamer's pets relentlessly try to kill the attacker, even after their master has died! Sounds like tamer HAX to me!
  4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Beatuls and keerin plz kthanx
  5. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

can haz sushi?
  6. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I know people don't like this but logically, I think it makes sense that a loyal pet would continue to attack after their master is killed.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... to add, if I recall right they are coded to auto attack red conned humanoids on sight.

I know of a time or three when it seemed like the pets attacked me before I fired one shot on their tamer, right before the all kill command. After the tamer is dead, the pet's still follow the ghost and they can lead their pets right to you... so yeah, most times killing the pets or dragging them off is an unwanted but necessary option at that point.

This has me wondering... how pets act on a red tamer. Do they auto attack blue.... wait... I gotta go do... stuff.

EDIT: Yep, just ran a test that cosigns what @Kane and @Pork Fried Rice said. However, I did learn something rather wicked that I can't wait to apply... as a fluffy sparkling fabulous tamer. . . Muwa-haha.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Oh well, it doesn't make sense that they'd automatically attack reds. They also probably shouldn't follow their master's ghost around.
    wylwrk likes this.
  9. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I don't think pets auto-attack reds, but it's hard to say because I usually run in HAM.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  10. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

They don't auto attack reds, they continue to attack after their master dies only if on the "all guard" command
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

13. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall playing a shard nearly a decade ago that people were able to ride kirins if i'm not mistaken. it was just.... weird.
  14. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Those were ridable by male characters on OSI. Female characters could ride unicorns. Both mounts had the ability to use magic, but neither was as strong as a nightmare. They took the same number of bonding slots as a mare, and I think they were both slightly easier to tame/control. Due to being inferior to a mare, they had little practical value. They were both introduced with UO:3D.
    One likes this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

16. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I can't think of a more fitting way to end this thread.
    You guys nailed it.

Wrap it up everyone, time to go home. We're done here... they called in the blaze ponies! ALL DONE!

I have homework though :/ I can't decide to name my future long haired pure black Pinkiepie or Derpyhooves.
    Mindless and Plankton like this.
  18. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

"Wow, this horse is really beautiful!" (Stevie Wonder)
    Iago and Plankton like this.
  19. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Pets don't auto attack reds at all. If someone is being guarded by their pets then the pets will attack anyone flagging against their master. The pets will continue to guard the corpse of their master upon death as well.
  20. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Didn't see Kane already stated this!