Tents, perfected.

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by PaddyOBrien, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

So giving support for an idea is not derailing a thread, but having a reason to disagree with an idea is derailing a thread?

Please go learn Internet.
  2. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

The tent Jupiter speaks of and the image Hiro added is far different from any useable tent in previous UO, I believe. Just having a tent makes sense to this style of game play. It doesn't have to be exactly how it used to be. With 50 camping to place one and you still need a bedroll and secure fire to log off it doesn't harm to much it just offers a pack for temporary use. You don't have to make it as big as a small house. Having it craftable makes it similar to the boat idea, a place to store something. I'm not sure about the stealing from the tent unless it was high skill desired to do so. Lockpicking pretty much GM? maybe need the stealing skill. For those that said thats too temporary what about real life things, 3 days should be plenty. I'm not sure about how long a boat takes to decay but it shouldn't be that long.

I like the feed back that's coming from this.

If you are fully against it ask yourself, would you ever use it? If not, don't let the "I wouldn't use it so we don't need it" thought affect your judgement of it.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    newme, wylwrk, Jupiter and 1 other person like this.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

That last part wasn't directed at you it was droll humor pointing back at myself and my silly comment about fur armor.

No need for personal jabs. I've yet to swing at you.
    newme, Jupiter and Pork Fried Rice like this.
  4. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

cave houses
    Wulver and Jittery Sauce like this.
  5. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

I'm for whatever works to get a RPing community to get started here, grow here, and remain here. If we could bring in more RPers by allowing tents then I don't feel this would cause a balance or era accuracy issue. I'm sure there are a few things that would need to be tweaked but IMO I don't think it would hinder play for other players that wouldn't use them.
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  6. Pork Fried Rice

Sorry, but whether it brings in players or not has nothing to do with era accuracy and has nothing to do with balance. Execution of the system is what dictates whether or not they create balance issues or era accuracy issues (they mpst certainly do create era accuracy issues)

Depends heavily on how they are allowed to be placed. Added obstacles in the landscape definitely can hinder gameplay for anyone wandering the world.

Just for some clarity, I'm not against tents to be a mean guy who's hammering ideas, but asking Chris to spend time developing a custom niche system for a small group of players at the speculation that it would bring in new players, all while creating a larger gap between the typical new player's expectations of a UOR shard. Tents aren't going to attract new players. Community attracts new players.
    newme and wylwrk like this.
  7. Brymstone

Porky, who the hell wanders the world anymore? I sure haven't seen you out in the middle of BFE looking for stray tamers to roll. :) As far as the community, well you have to start somewhere right? Era accuracy is really not being perfected here, and that IMO is a good thing. We have seen many things implemented here that aren't era accurate and they seem to be working just fine.

The OP brought up an idea, at least he's offfering something up for the "community" to think about. It may never get implemented but I think more ideas and discourse make for an overall better server.
    newme likes this.
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

In another thread, you were talking about looking around your house for some gargoyle shovels to sell. Tents would be more era-accurate than those, and AMIBs, and Level 6 and 7 maps, and pet bonding, and a million other things.

+1. The less departures from era-UOR, the better our chances are at attracting and keeping new players, in my opinion. I also happen to think tents are ugly and not particularly practical in an era in which we have stable connections, Razor, and a great community. It's incredibly easy to earn up 43,800 gold, and even easier to just get co-owned to (or given) a 7x7. I guess I don't know enough about roleplaying to really understand the benefit, so I won't comment on that aspect. But if I were a roleplayer looking to camp in a tent for a bit, I'd look for a monster camp and clear it of the orcs/lizards/etc. and drop a bedroll and use kindling to log out. The Paws library has 4 books of known camp spawn spots, and the Cove Fort library has one as well.
    newme likes this.
  9. Pork Fried Rice

I wasn't around to debate the addition of such items but I agree 100% and I would have said something about it - especially pet bonding, which makes being a tamer here far too beneficial, especially with the ability to bond 4 mares or a mare+2 dragons. Gold is practically given away.
    newme, Xegugg, Isabel and 1 other person like this.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

This ^

Yes, all of my yes.
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I was against bonding, I thought it was dumb and I still do! DOWN WITH BONDAGE, SAVE THE ANIMALS!!
    newme, Jupiter and Isabel like this.
  12. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Totally agree about bonding. As for what somebody said earlier, I'm one of those persons that likes wandering around in the wilderness but it's kind of on a shard-to-shard basis.

As for tents, I get the RP element argument but at the same time it almost seems pointless considering that the userbase will be pretty niche and a solution to the overloaded argument already exists - bring a packhorse or two with your adventuring party. I definitely don't like the idea that they'd be secure from other players. This ain't Trammel, and I say that as a roleplayer.

I guess in the end, if Chris can add this whole tent mechanic without much trouble and it's what the people want, who am I to stand in the way? I'll probably never use it. I imagine I'll barely ever come across them. I don't think it will be the thing that attracts more RPers to the shard, though. As somebody already said, that's on the community. Not little things like tents that last 2 days.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    newme and Pork Fried Rice like this.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

How contradictory. Bonding IS saving animals....lol

How about every 10 times a bonded tame dies, you lose a bonding slot. :p
    newme likes this.
  14. Pork Fried Rice

Or once a bonded pet dies 10 times, he's dead for good. How can a dragon trust you if you keep letting him die!
  15. Brymstone

I think overall we need to see people actually RPing on a regular basis and establishing a firm foundation from which to build a stable community that isn't going to play for a week then hop to another server leaving behind the typical half-finished toons and empty housing.

There are people on this server that are more than willing to get involved with a RPing effort but after too many false starts might be a little guarded in investing too much of their time and resources.

It's nice to see people come to the server with "ideas" even if they are a little over the top and may never be considered for implementation. RPing can work, it just takes a solid commitment which is something we have seen lacking here.

Best of luck to Jittery Sauce, I'm willing to help out as much as I can to help his little venture get started.
    newme, Jittery Sauce and Basoosh like this.
  16. Brymstone

With the amount of wealth people are sitting on here I don't think limiting bonding at this point would make a difference. I do think that gold is way too plentiful here and the pixel crack has risen to almost epic Trammel proportions lol.
    newme likes this.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Pandora's box is opened for Tamers and has been for a while. No turning back. Might as well hand out the moonstones this coming anniversary.
    newme and Wulver like this.
  18. Brymstone

This server has been a little out of whack. Occlo was probably a good idea on paper but I think it has spoon fed people too much. I remember Britain being the town everyone usually started on and when they had a little skill and stats built up they invariably headed to the graveyard to get the gold flowing. This brought the PK's to the GY which then brought those looking for a fight to the GY so there you had a great ecosystem represented, from the lowly newb to the top tier PvPers all mixing it up together. I learned ALOT from just watching everyone go at it, yes I died too many times to count but I kept coming back for more with the intent of someday being one of those guys slugging it out at the Brit GY or Brit X-Roads.

Giving players a "safe" start is a noble idealogy but it doesn't foster the kind of environment that produces a Felucca mindset, it's just my opinion, and I know many have made the transition from "young" status to UO player extraordinaire but I believe those to be the exception and not the rule.

Just a few rants, back to my crypt....................
    newme likes this.
  19. Pork Fried Rice

Gotta love those Level 5 fame rocking GM taming (Young) Players. No where, but UOR have I seen such a thing.
    newme likes this.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Well how else will they be prepared to farm AMiBs and Zookeeper quests with fully bonded tame sets, if they can't train to that level with 0 risk?

/wrists
    newme and wylwrk like this.