The Dexxer: Should we make some changes? (Long read inside)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Loxness, Jun 12, 2017.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  2. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I have pvped on this server for a long time and have made fencing,swords,macing tank mages I have not had any issues taking down wrestle Stun punch mages with my tank Mage. Any Mage would have a hard time beating a fencing tank 1 v 1.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

4. One

One Well-Known Member

5. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Ok well if 2 lumberjacks hit you near the same time enough there's a good chance you can insta die right there without the chance to heal at all. If there are 2 properly equipped dexers on the same target, one para from a longspear could essentially be insta death much in the same way mage stun works.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

7. snap dragon

I guess so. It would be really convenient if their opponents had to pause for some reason like casting a spell.
    One likes this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

If you are improving dexxers you are making tank mages more OP so it is the same
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Loxness likes this.
  11. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

What would be a high level of dexterity?
  12. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Loxness and One like this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

14. snap dragon

I don't like to have leet duels and do faction stuff so I can loot your 10 mandrake and gold spear, but I would wager I am "in combat" more than most people. If I really wanted to do leet pvps I would have mage eval and be able to use a spear or stun for sure.
    Jupiter and One like this.
  15. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

A mage cannot disrupt a dexxer's swing.

At the risk of being unduly harsh: the reason why dexxers are shit in pvp on this server is because the people who play dexxers play poorly and unprepared.

You want to know how you stop a mage from dropping on you? You disrupt their dump. It's very easy. You either hit them or use a wand to disrupt their cast. Why is this so rare on dexxers?

You want to know how you stop a mage from killing you with exp/eb? You stay buffed and use pots and wands. Why is this so rare on dexxers?

You want to know how you keep a mage on the defensive? You use explode pots constantly while swinging at them. In order to cast, mages must stop moving and let you hit them. There are basically 2 people on this server who play dexxers and use explode pots consistently. None of them are in this thread.

It's like you guys are comparing good mages playing well-prepared mage templates to barely average players using dexxer templates expecting to do well while they're totally unprepared, fight outnumbered, etc.

When I first started on this shard, AXERS dominated dueling tournaments. Constantly. They won most of the time. At that time, they did less damage than they do now... and that's when these tournaments only allowed GM Weapons. The reason this changed is because very good players came to the shard who knew how to play mages very well and beat them. What is the difference now?

Nothing is wrong with dexxer mechanics generally. While I agree that the tamerification trammelization of the shard left dexxers in the dust as far as cost of the kits they risk to perform well (something I agree should be addressed), the axers, swordsmen (with that lol katana), and fencer are totally fine. They're totally fine with random junk vanq weps many players leave in their CUB bags or golds they can get for 10k.

Macing and archery, specifically, really need some love. The warhammer, with a crushing blow, does much less damage than a katana or nearly any other 1h sword. Bows are in an even worse predicament. Both are far more expensive to use than other weapon skills because they cannot be repaired.

Solutions: Remove any AR bonus for material type on leather armor. If a mage wants 30+ AR, they will have use magic armor instead of 1,500gp 31 AR. If people want blessed weapons quest, then let them code it and put it forward. It's asinine to hold one particular template to Felucca rules while we have for years allowed 200 skillpoints get immortal Mare+Dragon+Dragon or 4xMare tamers which are very typically 7x GM.

You think dexxers are helpless against mages? How do they compare against tamers? You're going to run up next to the 4 mares or mare and 2 dragons to get a swing off? One of the huge reasons dexxers are mia in pvp is because tamers are pervasive (likely 80%+ of the builds outside of town) and dexxers are almost useless against them and their 2200+HP with 900+mana pool and 30 damage claw attacks which are controlled at the cost of 200 skillpoints. That's ignoring the other various buffs they've received here compared to era (AI mechanics, pet speed, bonding, etc.) Any change/buffs you make to mages or dexxers will also buff tamers because taming is only 200 skillpoints and can be stuffed into nearly any template and make it much better.

Watching mages and dexxers bicker about which is more OP is like watching two laborers bicker about whether potatoes or sweet potatoes are better for lunch while their boss is giggling over a 5 course steak dinner.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    scuba and One like this.
  16. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

So tank mages run with a little less mana and have a higher hit chance seems more op
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

18. One

One Well-Known Member

19. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

I could run 90STR/60DEX/75INT buff with blue pots and cunning and have enough mana to do 2 dumps +with extra hit anyone would be hard pressed to beat a tank Mage
    One likes this.
  20. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

I like the way this man thinks, death to tamers! 100% damage increase to any player with taming!!
    Vishakt, One and scuba like this.