The GreenBowl BagBall Tourney Saturday Nov 8th - Starting 7PM 1 MIL - PRIZE POOL

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Halabinder, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Kiln and Judy! Team Spiritwood Sprytes and our last minute sponsor Dalavar Bagmage!

(if he hadn't shown up at the last minute we'd have been wearing synthetic fabric, but instead we had 100% pixlecotton! It was still itchy, but better than that other pixelated flaxon stuff!)

[​IMG]

Lightshade substituted when real life pulled El Horno away.
    [​IMG]
    Halabinder and Oni Neaufire like this.
  2. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

4. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Compete results of the BagBall Tournament

Round Robin Scoring 3 points for Win 1 for tie (like FIFA World Cupr rules)

Group 1 Standings (Hype Train Wins Group)

Hype Train - (3 Win - 0 Loss - 0 Tie) 9 pts
    Refulgent Glory - (2 Win - 1 Loss - 0 Tie) 6 pts
    Gypsy Warriors - (0 Win - 2 Loss - 1 Tie) 1 pts
    The Lobbers - (0 Win - 2 Loss - 1 Tie) 1pts

Group 2 Standings (Lumberjackin' It Wins Group)

Lumberjackin' It (2 Win - 0 Loss - 1 Tie) 7 pts
    Spiritwood Sprytes (1 Win - 0 Loss - 2 Tie) 5 pts
    Moboteam (0 Win - 1 Loss - 2 Tie) 2 points
    Car Ramrod (0 Win - 2Loss - 1 Tie) 1 pt

Final Game

Lumberjackin' It 5 - Hype Train 1

Team Legend and first round full scores
    - TEAM A The Gypsy Warriors (Geebee, Freakzilla)
    - TEAM B (Gideon Jura, Krake Vestahl) Hype Train
    - TEAM C (Cashius, Something Stupid) The Lobbers
    -TEAM D (Gnarl, Chaser Darksky) Refulgent Glory
    -TEAM E (Kiln the Dwarf, Judy the Amazon) Spiritwood Sprytes
    -TEAM F (Taliic, Abraham Lincoln) Lumberjackin' It
    -TEAM G (The Musician, NONAMEALLSTAR) CAR RAMROD
    -TEAM H (Mobolin, TBD)

Game (1) A VS B 4 -1 Hype Train
    GAME (2) E VS F 3 - 3 Tie
    GAME (3) C VS D 4 - 0 Refulgent Glory
    GAME (4) G VS H 1 - 1
    GAME (5) A VS C Tie 1 -1
    GAME (6) E VS G Spiritwood 3 -1

GAME 97) B VS D 5 -1 Hype Train
    GAME (8) F VS H Lumber Jackinit 4-0
    GAME (9) A VS D Refulgent Glory 4-1
    GAME (10) E VS H Tie 3 -3
    GAME (11) C VS B Hype Train 4-0
    GAME 12 F VS G Lumberjackin it 6 -0
    Oni Neaufire, Taliic and Mindless like this.
  5. Halabinder

Interesting Stats: Spiritwood Sprytes and Lumberjackin it tied 3 - 3 in their 1st round game. They were also both undefeated in the tournament. I had said if there was a clear winner of the group they would go to the final game and stuck with it. But part of me wonders if the Dwarf and the Amazon would have gone all the way if I had let the second place teams of each group play against the first of the other. Refulgent Glory did really well also and lost the one game when one of them was having connection issues. The second goal of that game was scored on them while they were down a man. I hope we can build on this experience and figure out how to perfect this. That is what UO:Renaissance is all about. I would love to hear any and all comments.

I would also like to take the time to thank UO:R staff and players for making this server such a kick ass place to play. This really was a dream come true for me and I hope everyone who attended had a good time.
    Blaise, Gnarl, Jupiter and 2 others like this.
  6. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I had a ball; thanks for hosting it Halabinder!! Hope to attend more in the future.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Jupiter, Lord Krake, Taliic and 2 others like this.
  7. Halabinder

Literally it seems...

I know as the official sponsor of the event I should not condone this kind of behavior, but I can't help it. Way to keep Telamon on his toes!
  8. Gnarl

Gnarl Active Member

IT WAS UNBALLIEVABALL!
  9. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

IT WAS BALL-ACIOUS!!!
    Halabinder likes this.
  10. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

How did I ever let someone take a picture of me in pink! Vile Wizard! *shakes fist*
    Jupiter and Halabinder like this.
  11. Halabinder

Call it salmon and it's totally cool...
    Vlar and Jupiter like this.
  12. Lightshade

Yes...

YES

YES!

It's Manly Mauve!
    Jupiter and Halabinder like this.
  13. Halabinder

BOOM
    Jupiter and Lightshade like this.
  14. Halabinder

[​IMG]

The Gypsy Warriors and My referee uniform.

Geebee and I have been doing some research about macros and I will soon share our findings. Hopefully we can spark a conversation about how we can control/limit/prevent use of macros for future bagball events.
    Jupiter likes this.
  15. Halabinder

I understand that a lot of the specifics of how this event went down were quite vague and I do apologize for that. I will start with letting you know I assumed that Razor would be used to its full extent for the tournament. Jupiter kindly pointed out that a "drop what you are holding" macro can be set which I could literally do nothing about. Geebee and I also discovered that you could pick up the bag as long as you did the specific bag. If you do it by type Razor will muck it up. But if you use the specific bag that is being used for the game, you can automate pick up and drop off. It is incredibly difficult to compete with someone with that macro if you do not have one. We tested it.

I had a simple plan to combat this issue. I was going to swap bags every goal and start game with both players on the goal line. You can't just re-target the bag for your macro. You have to actually pick it up to re-target it from what we found and that will be difficult to do after every goal. You can also break up the macro into a Pick up and Drop options and use two keys for it. That way the macro is not as obvious because the drop off isn't as quick and consistent, and it is also not very effective against someone not using a macro. Don't know why, but the pick up alone, doesn't happen as quickly as the pick up drop off macro. Or at least our testing seemed to suggest that. I think it is the milliseconds it takes for razor to acknowledge the macro is done and new one is launched. But when Geebee broke up the macro in two parts it was not really advantageous. I could compete by just dragging and dropping.

The Event Center Stadium and the new environment meant that I was unable to implement the ball change. SO I just went with it. I am sorry if some people felt they were at a disadvantage, but I assure you there are very effective ways to macro using Razor only. That being said, I have suggested that a GM be present for the next game and spawn a new ball at center after every goal. Both teams start at their goal lines and rush towards the ball when spawned. This should limit macroing as people won't have time re-target the new ball effectively.

My guildmates and I really enjoyed the experience. Geebee wants to play one on one every time we are both logged in. So we are going to try to get an informal game or two going this weekend in my tower. There will be no rewards other than the experience and we will be interested in both macro and non macro games. The incentive is fun and the enforcement is honor. If you did not get your fill on Saturday and want to play some more games, get in touch with me and we will have some pick up games this weekend.
    Jupiter likes this.
  16. Jupiter

Tbh, I didn't feel at a disadvantage, because in order for somebody to change their macro they would have to target the new ball for each of their 9+ macros. Thanks to the change of ball type, I was actually able to use my macros because the "drop" function didn't work on the ball. I actually built in over a dozen random phrases to say which I am excited to use again.
    Halabinder likes this.
  17. Halabinder

Did you mean "actually unable to use" there?

Sorry I am a little confused.
    Lightshade likes this.
  18. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Halabinder likes this.
  19. Lightshade

I had no macro and had no issues grabbing the bagball by hand. I only subbed in for the one match at the end kind of spur of the moment, though.

Ping is a very big issue in this game. If you don't have a ping relatively close to your opponents ping, you will have no chance. Its just one of those things.

If your opponents ping is 25-50ms faster than yours, you will most likely fair poorly in the match.

As far as re-targeting a new bagball everytime...that's actually pretty easy to do, unfortunately. I'm old school and do a lot of things by clicking, but I do know how to macro a fair bit of things. Its unfortunate that someone, most likely, cheated in the last game, though. :(
    Halabinder likes this.
  20. Jupiter

Hala I mean I was able to use the speech portion of my macro since the ball was a different item type. I didn't change my macro so it didn't give me any kind of advantage. If that makes sense. Basically my item drop was obsolete which I liked.
    Lightshade and Halabinder like this.