The GreenBowl BagBall Tourney Saturday Nov 8th - Starting 7PM 1 MIL - PRIZE POOL

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Halabinder, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

They were totally cheating and everyone knew it. . . (The CS kids, that is.)
    Halabinder and Vlar like this.
  2. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

bahahahahaha (they might have been)
    Halabinder likes this.
  3. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Thank you Krake. Once again.

My intention for posting my findings were to strike up a conversation about what hot-keys, macros, tricks, and strategies people used. So we do what seems to be the norm here at UOR: Figure out the best way to beat something within the legal parameters of the site, share it with everyone, and compete on a level playing field.

I have had private conversations with some people and others like Jupiter and Krake have given me the information I needed after my post. The clever grey wizard was the first one to bite and for that he has my umpteenth thanks.

I am interested in what Gnarl and Chaser were doing in terms of hot keys and macros. They moved the ball really well according to Geebee and my own observations. Geebee pegged El Horno and Jupiter both as macroing to be honest. They moved the ball as fast as his goddamn pick up drop off macro. Neither of them was macroing. They probably have really good connections and have dragged many a pile of ore... But I think the point I tried to make which was kind of missed was, Macroing was not specifically disallowed. I wanted to know who figured out what tricks that worked! Both Freakzilla and I asked Geebee not to use a macro for the game but part of me wishes I had asked him to try; if nothing else as an experiment for measuring effectiveness against other opponents on a larger field. I honestly challenge any drag and dropper to face him 1v1 at my field when he runs with the macro. Not as a challenge or anything. More like an experiment. But we haven't had a chance to test it 2v2...

I actually am really interested in what Gideon was doing because Geebee and I pegged him among the guys using a pick up drop off macro. He moved the ball up field real fast. I am also dying to see a rematch between LumberJackin' It and the SpiritWood Sprytes. They are tied at 3-3 and have a score to settle.

I got a little worked up about this last night. I will admit that. But Krake's post sobered me up.

I ask everyone who attended to share their findings, and strategies and I truly thank everyone who thus far has. The experience was great. Please give me the information I need to make the next one even better.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

In my experience, you can either have half the participants and twice the fun, or half the fun and twice the participants.
    Jupiter and Halabinder like this.
  5. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I'm not positive about Gnarl... but I was BOTH moving and just drag and dropping with my mouse.

I attempted practicing by moving with the keys and dragging/dropping with the mouse but it felt unnatural (I've played a lot of UO the other way!)

So.. for me... 0 macros; old fashion, 100%.

And for the record; I had a ton of fun; even with Gnarl getting DCed super early in our second match (Gideon activated his hype train by the time he came back; and we were fucked.) ... so *shrug*.

I know it's super easy to get heated and throw out accusations after a tough loss to people you suspect were cheating; but without proof it's almost always better to just bow your head; and try to get those bastards next time. Just my honest opinion of course.

Also: How much resources does recording a razor RPV take? I dunno how much of mouse movement and stuff it records (haven't watched one in forever) but couldn't it be as simple as if you compete for the prize you have to record a video of yourself playing?
    Halabinder likes this.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

RPV records the sysmsg's on the left hand side of macros and such, but not mouse movements. On my crappy old machine (laptop from 2005 or so), it didn't alter gameplay at all.
    Halabinder likes this.
  7. Taliic

Taliic Well-Known Member

I took the same route as you. I tried the whole moving with my numpad method but it was way too unnatural and it didn't seem to move my character instantly, instead there was a minor delay. Everything was done through the mouse on my part including the movement of my character and I believe you played fairly as well, Chaser. Your team was one of the better teams that we saw employing the same method of ball movement as our team.
    Halabinder likes this.
  8. AnRobot-

AnRobot- Active Member

I was nervous against every team, hand sliding off mouse from sweaty palms!
    Vlar and Taliic like this.
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Ya i also tried using numpad and ended up going pure mouse. Key is to turn on always run and keep the mouse 1 tile in front of you, as soon as you start the animation of your final step you can begin drawing the mouse back to pick up the ore which should now be behind you 2 tiles. There is certainly a slight time delay for you to move your cursor behind yourself while still moving forward.
    Halabinder and Taliic like this.
  10. Mindless

Thanks.

In the first game my dragging was so on point we were pretty sure all that gold was ours! But as the the beers I was drinking started to kick in my performance was significantly hindered haha.

There was definitely a run in the first game where I took the ball from all the way down the field; without anyone else touching it... that likely could have been perceived as illegitimate. I found it's all about getting into a rhythm.

Unfortunately I wasn't really paying attention to the other games. It was VERY fun to watch; but I'm very easily distracted so I can't really say anything about that.

I do know based on what I saw it'd be impossible for me to say anything definite as to what/if macros were being used by other players. I could only be suspicious (knowing very well that I could myself be wrong).
    Halabinder and Taliic like this.
  11. Halabinder

Noted.
    Which team were you on? Sorry I was just trying to keep up with scores and document them and then move on to the next games. I knew waiting to play again would bore and tire people out so I was trying to keep things moving rapidly.

I had the option of making it an elimination tournament. Would have been much much easier for me to run. Was thinking about making the games 10 min long instead of 6. But half of the teams would only get one game in. I wanted more participation and I may have made things a bit too confusing in the end, but I went with a two group round robin format so every team would get 3 games and then the group winners would play each other.

So from what I am gathering not a single person actually used any macros... This is pretty interesting. Geebee and I thought you were all macroing with Razor.

Yeah that is exactly what I am talking about. A few people did that. That's what made it look like a macro. With a pick up object, then drop object with respect to location macro you can keep moving up and moving the bar at the same time. Sometimes the macro will F up and u get stuck holding the ball. Then u have to use drop what your holding to drop it. It looks just like what you describe above. I will ask you to come help me test the merits of the macro sometime if you are willing. Geebee has had time to practice and has the timing down pretty well. I couldn't touch the ball when I played solo against him. I want to see if someone with better skills and more practice will do better.

I don;t have a screenshot or anything of this. It was in game or over Google chat or something but this is what Geebee responded when I asked him who he thought was using a macro:

Geebee: The pink guys for sure.

It looked to him like you were running [pick up and drop with respect to location macro] and had the timing mastered to pick it up as soon as razor was good to go. I didn't have time to go see his macro until after the games. I just had to go by his word until he showed it to me after the tourney. So at the time I just assumed everyone was at least using drop with respect to location hot keys that Jupiter had mentioned. The invitation to help me test macro vs non macro play is also extended to you.
  12. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I thought I had a fair understanding of macros and am not understanding how the picking up is done. The only way I figured would be scavenger agent but that would overweigt you and send it to your feet.
    Halabinder likes this.
  13. Halabinder

Geebee Manually records picking up the bag and dropping it off ahead of him. You can't pick up by type for some reason. It glitches and tells you there "there is no item type bag" or something like that. The drop has to be adjusted to "relative to location". But the pick up will be from anywhere you can reach. So you walk/run with mouse and hit the hot key you set up for the macro. If you only have one macro and thus one drop off location, it looks really obvious. But you can easily do 2 or 3 different drop off locations East or West of yourself. Then if you rotate through your macros, you are not placing the ball in the same square relative to yourself every time and can escape detection.
  14. Gnarl

Gnarl Active Member

I was just doing it the old fashion way with my manly finger muscles.
    Taliic likes this.
  15. Halabinder

Hype Train is sponsoring a Resist Party as we Speak. It has done more for this server than I would attempt, let alone accomplish. I take nothing away from what Gideon Jura and the 555 foundation has done and will do for this server going forward, but if simply talking abut an event I just hosted is seen as a derailment of the beloved hypetrain, then I respectfully bow out of any further discussions.
    El Horno and Mindless like this.
  16. Freakzilla

Freakzilla Active Member
    UO:R Donor

The world doesn't revolve around one man my friend...

p.s this soap opera needs to be locked
    AnRobot- and Jupiter like this.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

IBTL?
    AnRobot- likes this.
  18. Mindless

19. Taliic

Taliic Well-Known Member