The Hunt for the Cursed Axe

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by El Horno, Nov 12, 2014.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Beginning tomorrow a unique player-run event will commence called "The Hunt for the Cursed Axe".
    Meet Madera:

[​IMG]
    Tomorrow marks the 100th day since Madera first entered Sosaria. He entered with a paltry sum of new player gold, a hatchet and a scorp (He still has some of that new player gold, stuck in his pack unmovable ever since. Also Cursed?). He quickly decided that carpentry was not the life for him, he yearned for something more.
    Putting his lumberjack experience to better use, he began training in the ways of mortal dexxer combat. From there he began getting his feet wet in the town's capture the flag games. He spent his time in the games sponging up as much information about fighting as he could and improving (ever so slightly) in his new calling. While he was improving, it was not happening at the speed at which he had hoped and he took to alcohol.

One day, stumbling slightly drunk through an alley way behind West Britain Bank Madera found himself short of breath after another average performance in the games. After catching his breath he looked up and saw through the foggy alley a store sign that he had never seen before. Madera read the sign, "Necromancers Shack". Curious about this mysterious shop, he cautiously entered. Immediately upon entering he heard a grizzly drawl say, "Ive been waiting for you Madera....".
    Madera's eyes began to adjust to the darkness and he begins to make out a tall gaunt necromancer sitting in the corner with a chest beside him. The necromancer then said, "Why aren't you using light filters?"
    Madera took a seat in the far corner and asked, "How do you know my name?"
    The necromancer replied, "Because I've been waiting for you Madera and I have what you need."
    The necromancer stooped over the chest beside him and drew out a valorite large battle axe runic. "This is for you Madera, it will make you better, only 1 million gold."

Madera knew he shouldn't buy the weapon from this necromancer, surely no good could come from this cursed blade, the best weapon attainable in all of Sosaria. The bitterness of recent defeat still in his mouth, he quickly handed over the million gold check and scurried out of the necromancers shack and put it immediately in the bank.
    From then on the cursed blade sat in the bank or was used exclusively for the games. It didn't like that. Strange things began happening to Madera. All of his runes would mysteriously be blocked, he would wake up and find his spellbook empty, his doors perpetually unlocking themselves, wandering healers throwing him the cold shoulder, to name a few. Madera quickly traced these strange horrible happenings as being related to his aquisition (and immediate trammeling) of the cursed valorite runic axe.
    That night Madera walked out onto the docks in Britain and threw the cursed axe into the ocean, thinking that would be the end of it. The next morning he woke up and found the cursed axe back in his bank. Thinking he was cursed forever he went to the tavern and began drinking. Later in the evening he once again found himself stumbling through an alley and once again found himself at the Necromancer's shack. He begged the Necromancer to remove the curse from the axe or at the very least let him give it back.
    The Necromancer chuckled and said, "The only way of removing the curse is to have someone else take the curse by ripping the axe from your body."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Event Details: Madera will go where no man (valorite runic wielding) has gone before in order to free himself from the Necromancer's curse, outside of the guard zone.

When: Marking the 100th day anniversary of Madera, he will start venturing out of the guard zone beginning Thursday 11-13 and this event will remain ongoing until he is freed of the cursed axe.

How: Get the axe from Madera by any means possible. You will not be counted as Madera WANTS to rid himself of the curse. That doesn't mean he is going to let it the axe go willingly and he will be using all he learned about mortal combat in its defense. If somehow you die to Madera he isn't going to loot, however looting him is highly encouraged.

Who: All Sosarians who are willing to help a humble lumberjack
    Where: Madera will be ALL over sosaria doing the regular things he does. He will make periodic updates on this forum to chronicle where he spent his out of guard zone game time which could possibly provide patterns as to where he might go next, however these patterns will not be intentional.
    Jupiter, Brymstone, MikeK and 7 others like this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the use of Incognito regularly in your event to prevent groups of synch-dumping Trackers from taking the advantage here. It would be a shame to see it back in the hands of the necromancer, after all. ;)
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

My friend, you have balls as big as church bells and I LOVE YOU for it!!!

More of this kind of courage is needed on this server, this man will become LEGEND and whether or not the axe is taken from him is irrelevant, what matters is that he had the balls to carry it forth into FELUCCA!!

Hail to you Madera, wielder of the cursed axe of runic valorite, for you are truly a hero beyond measure, may your mighty axe bring down a thousand foes before you are released from it's curse!!
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. BelXavier

BelXavier Member

I am going to kill you...
  6. El Horno

Today I spent an hour killing stuff all over ice dungeon.

I tried to solo a White Wyrm... not happening.

Arctic Ogres are however doable if you like jousting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. El Horno

Madera has been spotted!
    [​IMG]
  8. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

GFY Madera
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. El Horno

[​IMG]

I lay in wait at this tower near the Buc's den teleporter waiting to murder Stavrogin. I see a big black man who I mistake for stravrogin and swing my axe at him as soon as he comes through the teleporter. He promptly redlines me 4x in a row. One particular time I had like 1 hp and he cast a lightning, I go for a mini heal but obviously too late and out of nowhere my bandage came through and saved me. ( I was so deep in panic at the ferocity of his attacks/combos that I was completely unaware of where my bandage timer was, if it was even ticking for that matter).
    He chased me off and I was fortunate enough to get away... to be cursed another damned day!
    Big Black Man, thank you for the lesson.
  11. El Horno

THE CURSE HATH BEEN LIFTED!

[​IMG]

I went to bloods and saw a gate, I hide and followed it to find Dalavar wolfmage gating his dragons about. First to the brit stables, then nujelm bank, then balron room. I wait for the gate to dissapear to make my move but before it did another character recalled in, and then another, and another, all looking like pvpers (mes, klaus and pikka). Knowing my invisibility was going to run out very soon I made a dash for the exit since for the competition I am not going to just recall. I didn't get very far from these 3. I thank you for lifting the curse!
    Jupiter, BelXavier and Mes like this.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

to be honest, i thought because of rivalries and such you would just recall out. It was just dumb luck that we were there and had 2 pvpers on standby...soon as I saw him I called to chase and Madera actually tried fighting 3on1.

Pikka has the axe for now atleast, thanks for including us in the event, el horno!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    garvey and Jupiter like this.
  13. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

LOL, you were jumping all of those gates?! Never even heard the sound. Nor did I see you in Hythloth! Mes and I were gearing up for a Purveyor of Darkness, then all of a sudden he runs off. Comes back a minute later and says he has a Valorite axe :/
  14. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Ahaha! A grand tale bravo elhorno!
  15. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I see one of two paths for this tale to take.

Down the first path, the path that is well trod, I see the ax being taken to the bank and the new owner to allow the curse of the ax to take root in his soul where the ax will wait until its true master returns. There the ax will rot in a bank box, to be taken out only when the environment is controlled and the weather is deceptively fair.

Down the second path, the path that is over-run with thistles and thorns; the path which few have taken - I see the ax being used to cut away the tangle vines of deceit and poison in the same way that Madera (who some rumored to be a lunatic) fought to save his soul.

Though in the record books he shall be labeled a madman and murderer, those who know the true tale know that he liberated his descendants from a curse that would have ruled their fate. I hope that he who now possesses the ax follows the path that Madera fought so valiantly to clear, if even he only succeeded in revealing the trail's head.
    El Horno likes this.
  16. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

also

This story has been added to the oral history of Paws.

MEMORIZED!​