The King's Library - Community Help

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Alex Caember, Jul 1, 2016.

1. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I'm so looking forward to this being open and functioning properly!
    newme likes this.
  2. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

I wanted to thank Xegugg for getting me a copy of the hard-to-find issue #7 of the Renaissance Times :)

Also, a thank you to Meradin for the books donated,

And a thank you to whoever left the books "Genesis" and "Future Foretold" on the floor of the Library (could just put them in the mailbox next time!) :)
    newme, (D%) and PaddyOBrien like this.
  3. Alex Caember

Giving a big thanks to Raven for the donation of 6 platinum - it is greatly appreciated and will be well-used :)
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  4. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

Thanks @M3THMOUTH for the donation of 154 platinum - it is greatly appreciated and will be well-used :)
    newme likes this.
  5. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

No problem Alex; I'm happy the library is going so well for you! I remember the first day we met in the noobie dungeon and you had mentioned your plan was to be a librarian. I think we talked for a couple hour's that day. You and @RavenMagi have been such good friends through out my experience here, hope you help you out in the future.
    newme likes this.
  6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Since it's creation about four years ago, WispFelt's Rune Library's second floor is dedicated to both in-game books and player written books. I have many interesting books written by players. I believe I have all the in-game book titles, such as "Talking with Wisps"

Big issue is that unless you are friended to the building, players cannot open these books to read them, unlike rune books. This has been an issue since server began.

Chris is looking for a solution to this problem, he is trying to figure out a way that players may access the books without being able to edit them. This would keep the books as the players authored them, and not someone's idea of a "joke."

So, I understand the work involved, good luck with your library.

:)

ps. little heads up. Please don't try to copy any player written books, or you might find yourself in the midst of an issue. Unlike the in game-books, player written books might fall under the "copy wright" laws, and even if they don't, it's just rude to do so without the authors permission.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  7. Radish

Radish Member

Do you have any books on the history of Russia and China? That's classic UO lore, right?
    newme likes this.
  8. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I don't think that would be an issue as far as copyright laws go unless that person specifically said so otherwise, but still, would be impossible to enforce. If Alex was selling them for RL money, that would be a problem lol.
    Lyta and newme like this.
  9. Alex Caember

@M3THMOUTH - Man, if I had that much platinum, I think I would almost be all set for lockdowns lol. And your help is greatly appreciated for when I started (and it is because of your post on Reddit that I am here). I still feel bad that you were killed by a giant rat while I was training.

@newme - At some point, do you think I might be able to take a look at your library? Always on the hunt for new books - right now have a few hundred unique ones.

Not sure if there would be any issues with copying player-written books, but all the same I have been asking permission from the owners of the books. Jupiter and Enna have given me permission for all the books that were copied from the various Village of Paws libraries (and got permission to transcribe many of the forum stories), while other books from various other sources came with their blessings. There is always the issue that there are some books written by players who are no longer here with us, and there is no way to get permission. In such cases I am a bit careful about potentially displaying them. If they are particularly personal in nature, I will just keep them in the archives; but if it is something lore-related or non-personal, I might display it (unless told not to).
    newme likes this.
  10. newme

newme Well-Known Member

"laughing" Since the world of Ultima, thus Ultima Online is not located on Earth, I would rather doubt Russia and China are classic UO lore. Cannot remember which one at the moment, but before Online, one of the Ultima games actually had a portal (moongate) located outside someone's house to Soseria. Believe also those of Soseria called Earth Urth.

Not sure if there would be any issues with copying player-written books, but all the same I have been asking permission from the owners of the books. Jupiter and Enna have given me permission for all the books that were copied from the various Village of Paws libraries (and got permission to transcribe many of the forum stories), while other books from various other sources came with their blessings. There is always the issue that there are some books written by players who are no longer here with us, and there is no way to get permission. In such cases I am a bit careful about potentially displaying them. If they are particularly personal in nature, I will just keep them in the archives; but if it is something lore-related or non-personal, I might display it (unless told not to).

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were not getting permission. And yes, players like Jupiter are always eager, excited to share. :) The copyright issue is little dicey, I do agree it'd be like one in, what, a million, would even come up. There is a difference between in game books and player written ones. Actually the serve might own the copy right on any player written material within the game. Would have to check with Chris on that one. I know EA can be real jerks about the littlest of things, but now that they are trying to convince the world they are a "gamer company" who knows. Any way, I was just tossing the entire copy right thing out there as a caution, not to criticize Dang text can be interpreted so many ways. :)

I remember when that poem of Paddy's was written. As funny today as was than. :)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    M3THMOUTH and PaddyOBrien like this.
  11. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I have volumes 1-6 of The Daily Renaissance by Sawyer Newmarck

I also have a book with the background story for the first May I Fish? fishing tournament in 2014.
    "There is a plight in the realm! The spring harvests have been ravaged by the Vas Flam beetle! The pest quickly decimates stored grains then moves onto cured meats. Once infected, the entire storage lot must be set afire and destroyed to rid of the unseen eggs incubating in the foods......."

Please contact me regarding the books and anything else the library may need.
  12. Alex Caember

I have all 8 volumes of the Daily Renaissance thanks to Alice Asteroid and Xeggug. I *think* I also have the background story for the first fishing tournament, but if you want to give me a copy it certainly would be welcome - worst case scenario is I have two copies of it :)
  13. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

14. Alex Caember

A really super huge awesome thank you goes out to Zyler for his donation of 25 lockdowns to the Library!

With the few hundred books to display, this is a great help towards making a nice, big, full library a reality. Thank you Zyler!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  15. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

*You recieve a rolled note of fine parchment wrapped in gold leaf.*

You notice a seal of redwax adorned with a Dwarf holding a gem. Breaking the seal, you unroll the parchment.

Dear unmet friend, So great is your need, that word has reached my fortress even this far south. I am also a great lover of books and the stories they tell, the unknown places they let us explore. Deeds of great courage and awful sins are told to us at our whim. Untold beasts that roam our imagination come to life in the pages. Yes, I am a great lover of books.

I have sent my employ to your city. She has been instructed to deliver my gift to you. The check I have written is with great pride knowing it will benefit not only you, but future readers that will no doubt enjoy the tombs of knowledge. One day, perhaps, my journal will sit on a shelf in your library.

(it has been dropped in your mailbox on your steps, have fun)

Mitch Glasschisel,
    Jarl
    Dwarf of Dwarf Fortress
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  16. Alex Caember

A huge thank you to Lutz for donating a rather unique-colored quest book! It will be displayed prominently in the library! :)
  17. Alex Caember

"To the Jarl of Dwarf Fortress and my new friend,

I wanted to expressly thank you for your very generous donation to the King's Library and our first Writing Contest! I have adjusted our reward pool accordingly to include it! I must admit, I did not know there were yet dwarves in this land - some day perhaps I might be able to see Dwarf Fortress?

Again, many thanks to you and your generosity! When the gods see fit to fix the books so that they may be displayed properly upon their shelves, you must pay the Library a visit!

Do take care my friend,
    -Lord Gael Wordsworth
    King's Steward of the Great Council and Curator of the King's Library"
  18. Alex Caember

A huge thank you to Pirul for donating +25 lockdowns to the library! This contribution is hugely handy - now we just need that book fix, @Chris ;)

Big thank you to ReZon for a generous contribution as well!

*Edited to fix names - Sorry!!!
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  19. Alex Caember

A bit thank you to @The Crooked Warden, your donation puts me alllllmmost to the next +25 lockdowns! Thank you so much! :)
  20. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

Alex I've been trying to contact you for days... I have a solution to your book lock down dilemma...

Plus I may have a lot of books laying down in my cupboards.

Contact me if your on October 29th