The way of the Naturalist

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Gharik

Gharik Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Trinsic blows. Walk your happy ass to Vesper and we'll talk :p
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I will probably create a back story on my character and provide updates on what I can accomplish... he will know no language and cannot trade with townsfolk.
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

No macroing (unattended for skill gain) or use of macros... try to limit use of razor as much as possible. Doesn't mean you can't macro on your other account while you play this one!

This is one reason my survivalist will not perform mining/lumberjacking because that would SUCK! :lol:

How about a list of naturalist/survivalist characters with a link to their profile on first post Blaise? I'm not sure what account I will put mine on yet.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Good idea. Post up charnames as you make them. :)

Also, yes, burn counts, macro, do whatever on other characters, on this account or the other. As long as you're playing Ultima Online the way you did when you took it out of the box (or as close as possible). That's really my joy here. When I play like this, I feel like everything's a challenge. I can't wait to meet up with some others like this and take on 'hard' mobs like a gargoyle, or air elemental!!!
  6. Gideon Jura

7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I'm not going to tell you how to play your game as that is entirely your decision.

However, things like using skills to raise stats, when you would not really be using those skills as that character, goes against the intention.
    Starting newbie chars to share starting goods, is exploitative of the account/character system.

Think of it like a real table top RPG. You couldn't roll 5 characters and share their loot. You roll a character, you play the character, you level up.

Training resist in fire fields, sparring with order guards, starting a warrior....with 50 magery....
    These are things you do when, as a player, you know the shortcuts to gains/easy road.

As a warrior, I started with skills I will be using. Healing, Swordsmanship and Tailoring (extra income from monster loot/hides).

So really, I'd prefer anyone rolling as a Naturalist to really play as one. It's not about playing like you would when it was known how to best level up. It's about playing a character and developing them through direct play. I'd could see sparring with another player for a time, if we manually bandaged each other, but really, I'd rather gain on monsters. I could be fighting them with a skinning knife, but my goal in play is not to level up as fast as possible, but to enjoy the time it takes to grow my character as I would if I were rolling dice and writing stats on paper.

:) I still welcome all, but know that I'll not be taking part in any unsavory training or ease of access. Also, I'm editing out the part about being in A^T with a Naturalist title. I may drop a stone if I save enough money for a house and stone eventually. But for now, interaction with another guild is right out, if it provides undue benefit.
  8. Gideon Jura

9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

OMG, heavens no, don't make it the starting char or primary!

The intention is to have one as an aside that is a nice break from what we are all generally doing. Farming, BoD pumping and OMFG1337PVPing with 7x chars only.

10. Gideon Jura

11. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Damn you guys are hard core
  12. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I started mine. So much fun. I was actually getting kinda bored playing of late so this is great.

I like Wulver's idea of posting stories as you progress and a character background. I also like his live off the land concept in LL. Cant wait to hear your stories.

Im playing a straight, goodie goodie, paladin-like character with no magery. Perhaps I should make my way to the City of Paladins... only makes sense heh.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I'll start up the Naturalist Log thread in RP forum today, unless one of you kicks off first.
    I've got a bit of story in my head for Sturm, but nothing fancy. Also living in Trinsic and of course, playing the goodie goodie paladin type.
  14. Dragkhar

Dragkhar Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

So, I just created my own Naturalist type.
    Was really interested about this idea when I red it since it felt so much 1998 for me, good old days coming back.

My char is an orcish scout who got banned from his tribe cause of his love for a human woman.
    He got striped from all his gears except from his bow and spear.
    His main purpose in life is to avenge his wife whom his fellow tribesmen had for dinner before they banned him.

He will not rest until all the Cove and Yew orcs has been slain.

His name is Zunu'Ghuk
  15. Tashlin

Tashlin Member

Moonlit Skynight, Archer/Macer/Fletcher. Currently in Trinsic.... The town I started in on my first character. I might suggest playing with music turned on for naturalist characters for that truly nastalgic feel.
  16. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

Gabriel Stone - Tamer/Ranger

Not gonna lie... taming 4 black bears and taking down ettins with them is fun as hell haha. I'll cook up a wicked backstory when I get some time on my hands.
  17. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

How does everyone feel about turning down unwanted skills once you reach 700 cap? My thought is Ill have meditation (a skill I dont use since no magery) but wont be able to turn down which will allow raising a needed skill (parry for example).

Also, since Im weary of magic and wont have magery, I will get around the world by from running, moongates, being gated, and boats. This poses somewhat of an issue but a hardcore play decision. How much magery is needed to use recall scrolls? Perhaps I'll take up limited magery for emergency cures, heals, and for recall scrolls once Im exsposed to it more and Grellis feels magic can be used beneficially. Thoughts?
  18. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

I'm not opposed to dropping unwanted skills. I have about 10-15 at the moment haha. And when you think about it... in life, if you don't use a skill, it tends to deteriorate.

As far as recall scrolls go, I don't think it doesn't take much. 20ish perhaps? Not sure of the exact number for a non-fail.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I love how nervous people are getting about what they can or cannot do on their naturalist. So much care and concern for character, it warms the heart.

I will not be using Skill arrows until I reach skill capacity, then I will turn down what is not desired or used.
    I imagine I'll have about 20 different skills before I GM even one, so, yeah, no problems there.

As for moongates, magery and all the like. General rule of thumb is that if it is possible with natural game functions, it is acceptable. Yes, I know we can AFK train with natural functions, but what fun is that?

Basically, do what you will, but try to play with just what the game gives you, not Razor. :)

I likely won't put Magery on Sturm either.
  20. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

Dungeon crawls with no light but a lantern ftw! We rocked Covetous. 7 bears 2 tanks (Me madly trying to vet the bears) against 3 gazers??!?!?! That's right, we won. 6 of the mighty bears fell to the gazers. The seventh sacrficed himself to the harpies so that we may escape with our lives. Your memory lives on friends!