The way of the Naturalist

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Oct 1, 2012.

1. qbradq

qbradq Member

Blaise, I love you man. Everything you do seems to make me happy.

I started a Naturalist last night, and it totally takes me back to '98. God those were days of wounder. Anyway, my character's name is Sentri, and he's the kind of character I first attempted back then: A fencing alchemist with poisoning and lock-picking. I call it my Dungeoneer build. So far I've only managed to kill one skeleton, but the Sheep all fear me :twisted:

Character Sheet: Sentri

I forgot to do [publicchar when I made him. I will do that when I get home today.
  2. Nelvin_Skjordal

Nelvin_Skjordal Member

I just started playing here again this last week. I apparently decided at some point that Nelvin Skjordal would no longer be a "naturalist" character b/c he has GM med and ~90s Eval. Please take Nelvin off the list. I will most likely end up making another "naturalist" character at some point in the near future. Thanks & GL to all.
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The time has come. Say hello to Sophia
  4. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Ooo a mage! We need one of those =)
  5. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

She works hard for the money ta na ta na so hard for it honey...
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bump for great justice. Characters added to OP list.

Update: The first Naturalist Guild has been started, Fear Us Naturalists [FUN], led by Guildmaster Sturm, has it's stone just off the north east corner of the Cove cemetary, on the steps of the Naturalist Stronghold.
    Come all ye naturalists to join forces (and aide our communication) in this guild and find safety in this home!
  7. isilvado

isilvado New Member

i have all the caracteristics of a naturalist...but im totaly new in this game..so i dont know if i could be add as one of those...the name of my char ingame is xochipilli.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If that is how you play, you are one by nature. Find us in IRC and if we can, we'll party!

http://uorenaissance.com/irc
  9. Raven

Raven New Member

okay time to join the fun :)

Making my naturalist char, name will be Aryn Dell

You'll have to meet her in game to learn more about her lol
  10. Nelvin_Skjordal

Nelvin_Skjordal Member

Yeah, Nelvin is far from "natural" at this point... nearly 7x (only a bit of inscription left to go!).

Muskrat Mitchell entered Brittania earlier this week.

Been hanging out in #uorn, and will try to make a habit of changing IRC nick to "Nelvin|FUN" when I run about on my new Naturalist.

Hope to bump into someone who can add me to the stone soon :)
  11. Thorulf

Thorulf Member

Hello everybody

I just started on this shard making a naturalist as my first (and thus main) character. His name is Thorulf and is an adventurer armed with sword and shield. Right now he is braving the area north of Britain hoping to venture into the dungeon Despise in the near future in search for adventure and fortune.

I hope to see other "naturalists" around and look forward to playing on this shard.

- Thorulf
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Thorulf
  13. Davian

Davian New Member

I just came to this server and the Naturalist is the only way I play! I think this is an awesome idea and I am pretty stoked to see so many people doing it on this server! I look forward to running into you other Naturalists! I currently have an old carpenter hanging out, outside of Britain. It's not an easy life but it's the only one I know and I wouldn't trade it in for anything in this world.
  14. Cado

Cado New Member

I found this forum and the idea of the "naturalist" sounds right up my alley! I recently started on the shard a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have a huge investment in any one toon at this point. I don't know about joining a guild atm, but would be interested in adventuring with other like minded players. I'm not big into vent or irc as it tends to break immersion. I play with the game music on! I don't have to rp talk, but my toons do develop their own story and style (aka, character :) about them or they don't last long.

I'll be rolling this one up tonight! I'll come check out the area around Cove to see if anyone is around :) It brings me back to why I wanted to play this shard to begin with...to go on an adventure!
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hope to see you folks out and about. I've put a couple hours on Sturm lately but not as much as I would like.
    The guild stone has moved back to Cove and now resides on the small home off the northwest corner of the GY. The perfect house for fighting back the endless spawn of undead in the area.

Good luck out there adventurers!
  16. Kraven

Kraven New Member

Ive been wanting to play a nonmage warrior character, inspired by http://uo.stratics.com/content/professi ... urer.shtml, and figured I'd head down the Naturalist path as well. Thorulf if you need a co-adventurer let me know! I'll be around Britain with Karak Harbingr as well.
  17. Cado

Cado New Member

Playing as a "naturalist" has completely changed my UO experience :=) I respect all approaches to the game and so my experiences is not a comment on other game playing styles. I would never suggest to anyone how they should enjoy the game.

With that said; I've gone from grinding stats and skills and mobs to enjoying the variety of aspects the game has to offer in ways I've overlooked on other shards. When night is truly dark, and magic is not an option, wits and preparedness are vital to survival. I've come to learn the beauty of simple things in the game like laterns, bedrolls, even candles have a use! The things that I would have normally dismissed as game "window dressing," have become more important. I don't track skill gains, I don't track stat gains...they happen naturally in the course of playing.

Even pvm has taken on new meaning as something other than "farming" mobs for gold or stats, which after years of mmo playing, has become a mostly mind numbing experience for me. In this manner of play, I travel by horse with no runes to port to favored farming spots. Rather, I kill for food and needed materials, or to defend myself and others; even avoiding battle if the terms don't suit. I have come to hate Evil Brigands and Mages, and hunt them down relentlessly for the well being of the land! Money is no longer the goal, though I seem able to accumulate it along the way. Buying the next set of gear is not the goal, nor even buying a house. If they come, then great...they can go just as easy. Dungeons have become a dangerous place and so I do not step into them lightly or foolishly....

Of course, I may not survive many pvp fights, but in my travels thus far that hasn't been a problem. And the open country provides opportunities for escape should the need arise. As my character further develops I hope to be able to at least hold my own if confronted.

Because skills, money, or items or gear are not the goal, the game has slowed down considerably. Traveling in the dark of night is not always safe, as I'm seldom in town anymore, I'll often sit by my campfire and check my gear for wear and tear, replenish my arrow supply, care for my horse and prepare food for the next day's journey. Trips into town are for restocking on supplies the wilderness doesn't provide, a stop at the bank...maybe a visit to the local tavern for a respite or enjoy a warm bed for a change in a local inn. Yet the call of the wilderness beckons, and soon my steed and I are blazing new trails of adventure :)

I follow the path of the reluctant hero....one who would rather keep to himself, but is unable to keep from helping those needing rescue or help. This puts my character in difficult situations at times...yet compassion motivates him, honor binds him, and valor invigorates him to help those in need!

I'm enjoying the ride as the destination changes as the winds of destiny blow....
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

^^^^^THIS, 1000x THIS!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Cado, my friend, I'm really happy you're enjoying UOR!! I hope to see you around aften, and you know you can count on anyone in C^V to help out!
  20. Aegis

Aegis Member

i have one remaining slot on my 3 accounts, should really think about making one :)