The way of the Naturalist

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Cado

Cado New Member

Pirul...I'm so glad you are here on UOR. UOSA was a hoot because of you, benny, Cattie, Atraxi and the rest of the C^V gang. I greatly appreciate your generous spirit and willingness to continue our friendship :=) Cadogan's sword is at your command if the need should arise.

At Blaise, <Cado bows deeply>
  2. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Excellent Cado!
  3. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just tryin' to catch up on my forum reading and figured such a good cause could use a bump. Perhaps it's time for me to create a naturalist.
  4. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Goddamn this really sounds AWESOME !!!

Just like many of you, this reminds me a lot of my first char on OSI (Pacific). His name was Wodan and he was a Blacksmith - Miner - Swordsman.
    Unfortunately, mining is not what I would be doing as a Naturalist. I've spent too much time UO-mining in my life...
    Went to the Cove Orc Camp with 65 Swords and dragged Ettins out to kill them one at a time.

Is there much Naturalist action still going on ?
    I really like the idea of having a guild for all Naturalists since you can quickly identify fellow naturalists by their hue.

Occlo should be an awesome Naturalist starting point. It's made for low level chars and offers quite some variety.
    Occlo has cotton fields with no fences :)

We could team up and go on a sail to Britain. We have to collect gold to buy a small ship and set sail to Britain or Glow or Fire Island for an adventure.
    Arrive in the actual docks and visit the city, go for an ale in a pub and beat up some zombies on the cemetery when we're drunk.

CHRIS : Will the OCCLO Moongate ever become Two-Way ?

BLAISE : Can I get a comment on using Moongates as Naturalists ?

I mean recalling and gating should definitely not be common as a naturalist. I will probably restrict myself to using only magic scrolls I looted. There will be quite some joy when I first loot a mark scroll and search for a fellow naturalist to mark me a rune.

I have a house on Occlo that is in the middle of nowhere. It's pretty impossible to place a house anywhere nearby - I can offer to make this house open to all naturalists.

Should we allow stealing amongst naturalists ? I am thinking about making a scoundrel naturalist - a beggar + thief
    But one that doesn't join the thieves guild and steals from other players - instead I steal from NPC and shops only.

This has become quite a long post and to promote this idea, maybe we can get a place to write down some common proposals for creating a naturalist char.
    Everyone can decide for himself which parts to adopt and which ones to ignore but let's make it a list for quick reference.

EDIT: Maybe we can get a guild forum for FUN to collect all Naturalist activity ?
  5. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Bump for Naturalist Justice!
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've neglected to update the list but the FUN guildstone is still live at the Cove GY Guild House. Hit me up any time to add a natty char to the stone and urge me to go adventure on mine. I'm not always inclined to jump into it, because I've always got a billion things going on in game and otherwise. However, it's often nice to get tugged in that direction and often a great respite from the rest of it all. :)
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Yeah it was about 4am I did a bunch of 'chores' in UO and wanted to get a bit of fun, having already tracked down a couple pilgrims and some farm mobs earlier, I felt like doing something different.

Scrolling down my excel character mega list I saw Sophia sitting there, dust collecting on her basic battle gear and thought: "Yes, the time is right for the naturalist to go adventuring". Put in a good hour of dark nights enabled monster basing FUN.
  8. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

Keep the natties rollin folks.
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

If your FUN char's account is not tied up with the resist session, now is a perfect time to let that naturalist roam free!
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Sorry for not sending notice. I have disbanded the FUN guild (the name was rather corny anyhow) and moved the guild house to a small tower I purchased with the funds from the old house and what was inside. PM me to get co-owned and in general to party.

That being said, I had a nice adventure with Baine earlier. He died a few times, once at least was my fault because I clicked on him instead of a brigand :/. It was a blast and we roamed the lands scooping up gold and tracking down thieves.

Roll up!
    Jupiter and Baine like this.
  11. sanguine

sanguine Member

Really cool you do this, wish I had time. There are a lot of small things I miss about UO before UO assist.
    Running around like a damn newb for 20 minutes "night sight? Night sight please?! Anyone in lor? I'm blind" lol love that shit.
    I remember the satisfaction of finally getting to cast energy bolt on my first Mage character, being so happy I immediately went to despise to try my luck against those damned lizard men. Kiting one for 5 minutes fizzling most but getting some bolts off. The joy of my first lizard man kill. :)

The only skill grinding I did was the bone wall. God I miss that, 10 people holding those dreaded skeletons back, x healing each other :)
    Vlar likes this.
  12. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

It was great fun! Reminded me of the good ol' days (I died a lot then too lol.)
    I tend to get bored with "end game" UO and every once in a while I feel the need to start over, so to speak. This naturalist character allows me to do just that. I don't support this character with my alts' gold or housing, nor do I use macros. Great for experiencing those nostalgic moments.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I've been hatching up some very naturalist friendly mini events. If you're interested I'll hit you up.
    Vlar and [Mobolin] like this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

(no they don't all involve locking sturm in a home with fluffy
    Blaise and [Mobolin] like this.
  15. dosman711

dosman711 New Member

+1 For the naturalist way of life. I've started http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_player&id=1237083 Alvin, the wandering scribe. I'm playing him with a bit of an RP focus, but it's been a blast wandering the world and just playing as the game was designed to be played. I will admit that I received some help in the form of a Stormhold member taking me hunting and getting some gold, but it will be used to buy ale and new clothes. I've only been on the server a week or so, and I'm glad I decided to do this because I was already starting to get burnt out starting yet another LJ, and yet another Miner, and just macroing my way through the game.

I've also taken to keeping an in-character journal. Again more for the RP, but it's a really interesting way to reflect on how you're playing the game, and it (for me) brings some added enjoyment when I do things like tame my first pair of black bears and kill some orcs in a camp. Anyway, I'm dosman711 on here and IRC, and I'd love to go running around with you guys and do pretty much whatever :D
    Jupiter, Blaise and [Mobolin] like this.
  16. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

We're still having all natural FUN, here, there and around.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've thrown down another guild stone in the new digs. Old Way Naturalists [OWN] is the guild name and all those who play by the Basic Tenets are welcome to join. We had an adventure into Deceit last night with a group of four, one being literally brand new. It was a good time for sure.
    Goober and Vlar like this.
  18. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I am in Stormhold but will make my way...
    Vlar likes this.
  19. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Sounds like Stormhold needs a naturalism wing! I hereby call upon all Stormholdians and friends to create at least one naturalist character!

Mines name is Andrew, and looks just like me. My role play is that I am a human from a place called Earth that much like the Avatar found his way to Sosaria.
    dosman711 likes this.
  20. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member